PDA

View Full Version : Citing Bibleworks Halot in academic work

Robert Parkinson
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi
I just bought the HALOT module and like it but it has no page numbers. My question then is how should one cite this in academic work? The standard method is HALOT, Page number. s.v. entry. SBL handbook has provision for a CD Rom reference (with a corresponding print edition) 7.3.12 so I suppose a similar reference would be in order. Still what is the correct terminology for Bibleworks HALOT module? Any suggestions out there?

Greg Ward
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
See this thread regarding a very helpful update with bibliographical citations for the works in BW:
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3661

jdarlack
03-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I'd cite the text the same way you cite the print version with a few additions:

HALOT, s.v. רֵאשִׁית (electronic edition; BibleWorks 8.0).

The "s.v." suffices for page number/location in a dictionary. See 17.5.3. in Turabian's 7th ed.

For a "signed" article (as in ABD, TDNT, etc.) you'd put something like this:

Walter Radl, "ποιέω poieō do, make; act," EDNT n.p. (electronic edition; BibleWorks 8.0).

Although in this case, given that BW gives volume/page numbers for the EDNT (at the bottom of the entry) you could add the volume & page number so that it would look like this:

Walter Radl, "ποιέω poieō do, make; act," EDNT 3:123 (electronic edition; BibleWorks 8.0).

It seems that the citation standards for electronic works are quite fluid (unfortunately). The problem is that there are so many different forms of databases today in different formats. So, for instance, the SBL example given for the ABD just does not fit everything.

The main thing is to pick a citation method that is acceptable to your supervisor/professor (and whoever might be checking your thesis for style). Then be consistent. Always do it the same way.

I have not yet had a chance to play with the BW8 update.