PDA

View Full Version : BW8 and WordPerfect



ingosorke
03-09-2009, 09:24 PM
While I have abandoned WordPerfect to a large degree, I still have some projects that depend on that ailing veteran of word processors. Harmony between BW7 and WP X4 was flawless; now with BW8 they've become unusable together. For a while I got it to work, even though the beautifully clear fonts of BW7 were gone (not in name, but in design-Bwgrkl and Bwhebb look different between the two versions). I've tried all settings and options. Both Hebrew and Greek are a mess. Just lamenting the end of an era - and the price of progress . . . with moist eyes . . .

Ingo

Michael Hanel
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
While I have abandoned WordPerfect to a large degree, I still have some projects that depend on that ailing veteran of word processors. Harmony between BW7 and WP X4 was flawless; now with BW8 they've become unusable together. For a while I got it to work, even though the beautifully clear fonts of BW7 were gone (not in name, but in design-Bwgrkl and Bwhebb look different between the two versions). I've tried all settings and options. Both Hebrew and Greek are a mess. Just lamenting the end of an era - and the price of progress . . . with moist eyes . . .

Ingo

Hopefully it gets resolved, but you can't really lament the use in WordPerfect in the same sentence that you talk about progress can you? :p I'd probably use Open Office before Word Perfect, but that's just me...

hubmair
03-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Hopefully it gets resolved, but you can't really lament the use in WordPerfect in the same sentence that you talk about progress can you? :p I'd probably use Open Office before Word Perfect, but that's just me...

I use WordPerfect and will continue to do so. Word is still behind WP, at lest in the things I do with word processing. However, soon WP is going to have to bit the bullet and use unicode fonts or it will become increasingly hard to use. My understanding of it is that the core of their font system is still rooted in DOS and would require a total rewrite of WP to go unicode. So, I don't have high hopes on this

Glenn Weaver
03-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi Ingo,

You will want to make sure that BW8 is not exporting in Unicode. It does by default. If WP can't handle Unicode properly, that would be the problem.

I don't believe that the BibleWorks fonts are different between BW7 and BW8, which makes me think that you are exporting in Unicode.

hubmair
03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi Ingo,

You will want to make sure that BW8 is not exporting in Unicode. It does by default. If WP can't handle Unicode properly, that would be the problem.

I don't believe that the BibleWorks fonts are different between BW7 and BW8, which makes me think that you are exporting in Unicode.

Yeah, we covered that one before
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3588

Glenn Weaver
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
There are two places to uncheck the Unicode fonts in BW8. Under "Tools | Fonts", uncheck the 3 boxes under "Unicode Fonts (Export Only)". These are global settings that can override the individual copy settings.

While you are in this window, select the radio button for "Export Fonts" at the top of the window, then check that the export font for Greek is set to Bwgrkl, and the export for Hebrew is set to Bwhebb.

With the "Tools | Fonts" Unicode settings unchecked, go to "Tools | Output Format Options | Verse List or Range". Uncheck the "Export Unicode Greek" and "Export Unicode Hebrew" checkboxes. (Notice that you can have multiple export settings, so you will want to do this on every export setting that you use for WordPerfect.)

Now go to "Tools | Output Format Options | Selected Browse Text" and uncheck the "Export Unicode Greek" and "Export Unicode Hebrew" checkboxes. (Notice that you can have multiple export settings, so you will want to do this on every export setting that you use for WordPerfect.)

By unchecking these items, you should always export the default export fonts, not Unicode.

When you paste the text from BibleWorks, the export font should then be Bwgrkl and Bwhebb. Since the fonts have not changed between BW7 and BW8 (I'm almost certain of this), the BW8 display text should work properly if it worked properly using BW7.

If the output still is not correct, please contact Customer Service. Perhaps they can uncover something.

Hope this helps.

ingosorke
03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Back in business; for some reason it didn't keep my Output Format settings on non-Unicode . . .

A restart and new unchecking of Unicode did the trick!

Thanks 2 all. I thought the world was falling apart. But then again, may be it is . . . I'll resist inserting a smiley here.

Ingo