PDA

View Full Version : Lemma Search For OT/NT/OPE & AFG

dbielby
03-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm interested in doing multiple word searches that go beyond the OT/NT. Is there an easy way to do a lemma search on a word that would compile a list of appearances in one place from the OT/NT, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, and Apostolic Fathers in Greek or whatever language I select?

Michael Hanel
03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm interested in doing multiple word searches that go beyond the OT/NT. Is there an easy way to do a lemma search on a word that would compile a list of appearances in one place from the OT/NT, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, and Apostolic Fathers in Greek or whatever language I select?

Hmm sounds, quite like a "search across all languages" function. Under Search, look for "Cross Version Search Mode" and select all languages.

dbielby
03-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I tried that but it isn't displaying for some reason. I also tried
the GSE...making a word box for the word (I'm doing morphological tagged searches) and connecting it to an OR box...with one word box for each version searched. Essentially it's the same word five times. It is showing a lot of hits, but I cannot get it to display all the hits...only one version displays rather than all five versions searched.

Any ideas?

MGVH
03-05-2009, 04:37 PM
1) Make sure you are using a morphological version (sounds like you are)
2) Make sure you don't have any limits set

Works for me. The "Cross Version Search Results" pops up with hits from all the Greek versions along with Apost. Fathers, Josephus, Philo, and OT Pseudepigrapha.

Mark Eddy
03-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Just a reminder that when you do cross-version searches ("Search and display all same language versions") you cannot see all the verses in one list. What BW does is create a separate list for each database, so you will see, e.g.
Ver. Hits Verses
BGM 3 3
BNM 1 1
SCM 1 1
STM 1 1
APM 2 2
JOM 15 13
PHM 11 10
OPM 2 1
After you come up with this summary, you have to click on each version separately.
What I do is have separate tabs for each. So on tab 1 I have (let's say) the Bible (BGM or one of the others), tab 2 Apostolic Fathers, tab 3 Joesphus, tab 4 Philo, tab 5 Psedepigraph, tab 6 Classical Greek (Michael Hanel's contributions). I take the "Cross Version Search Results" and tab by tab click on the different lines of the search results so that the individual verses are loaded onto the different tabs. That way I can switch back and forth between tabs, e.g. look at a biblical reference, look at Josephus, go back to the biblical tab for another reference, go to the Philo tab for another, etc.
So you can't get the whole list in one window at a time, but you can study the whole list at one time. Clear?
Mark Eddy