PDA

View Full Version : Searching for phrase in WTT

Gontroppo
03-01-2009, 02:28 AM
G'day
I'm using BW7 and would like some help with finding something referenced in the terrific ESV Study Bible, please.

The note on Ezekiel 3:14 says that the expression translated as "in bitterness in the heat of my spirit" occurs 30 times in the OT.

I tried to look this up in the WTT for further study, but was unsuccessful.

Can anyone show me how to do it, please?

jfidel
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
If you do not want to type hebrew, select the word chema in the WTT and then right mouse click to lookup lemma in KWIC. Once in the KWIC change the search criteria so that it is left 1, right 0 and then build. The article should be the first on the list with 30 hits. Click on it and the verses will be shown.

John Fidel

SkipB
03-02-2009, 12:10 AM
John is right, bchemah (does occur 30 times). But that is somewhat misleading. The particular combination with ruach and mar seems to be limited to Ezek 3:14. (yet to be equivalent to the phrase "in bitterness, in the heat of my spirit" you would expect all 3 words to be present. I had trouble finding many uses of chemat ruach (or nephesh even) I think the note is a little misleading. An interesting verse though to compare to is Job 7:11. I find the psychological vocabulary of the Old Testament to be very poetic, not so technical. It requires thoughtful reading in Hebrew, beyond the easy reach of statistics. But the KWIC tables really can help identify fertile passages.

jfidel
03-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Skip,

I do not agree with the quote from the ESV Bible, because it is misleading. At first reading I thought it was saying that"in bitterness in the heat of my spirit" occurs 30 times in the OT". Only after reading the comment myself from the ESV SB did I find that the idiom was only referring to the search above. That is why we read commentaries with a critical eye and can be glad that we have software to test what is being said.

I was only trying to show how the writer came up with 30 times.

John Fidel

Gontroppo
03-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for your help, folks!

SCSaunders
03-02-2009, 08:55 AM
... That is why we read commentaries with a critical eye and can be glad that we have software to test what is being said. ...Very true IMO. Said with accuracy and fairness; but very, very true. Again, IMO.

Amen John! Preach it brother. Keep preaching the text and not the commentaries.

SkipB
03-02-2009, 10:28 AM
The mentor of one of my mentors was want to say; "Young men, remember, the Bible can shed a lot of light on the commentaries..." I did not mean to imply you were advocating the notes accuracy John. I simply wanted to point out that Bibleworks allows us to quickly see each occurrence in context. Tools are just that, instruments to evaluate the meaning of a passage. Whether commentary or statistical compilation we need to evaluate the meaning of a word or phrase or idiom in context. A teacher I had always challenged us not to take even the lexica at face value. Some times the gloss can color your view so you don't really see what a word means in a particular reference at hand. In a way, the lexicographer writes the first layer of commentary. They bring an invaluable resource to the interpretive process but they need to be scrutinized and cross checked.

jfidel
03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi Skip, you did not imply that. I just wanted to clarify and point out the value of BW in reading commentaries.

John Fidel

Gilbert Salinas
03-03-2009, 12:39 PM
The mentor of one of my mentors was want to say; "Young men, remember, the Bible can shed a lot of light on the commentaries..." I did not mean to imply you were advocating the notes accuracy John. I simply wanted to point out that Bibleworks allows us to quickly see each occurrence in context. Tools are just that, instruments to evaluate the meaning of a passage. Whether commentary or statistical compilation we need to evaluate the meaning of a word or phrase or idiom in context. A teacher I had always challenged us not to take even the lexica at face value. Some times the gloss can color your view so you don't really see what a word means in a particular reference at hand. In a way, the lexicographer writes the first layer of commentary. They bring an invaluable resource to the interpretive process but they need to be scrutinized and cross checked.

Thank you for sharing your insight. It is VERY VALUABLE!!

Gilbert