PDA

View Full Version : Help with exported text

gesnipes
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I put in a support request but have not been able to get a resolution for this problem. When I copy text, it only gives the three letter abbreviation. Here is an example:

Exo 1:2 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah;

In BW7 this showed the full book name but in BW8 I have to edit everytime I paste to put in the book name. Under tools....options...book names I have edited the book names with no success. I changed every entry under book alias names but it still exports the three letter abbreviation.

Is it possible in Bibleworks 8 to alter this export to copy and paste the full name? I am getting so frustrated I am considering going back to Bible works 7.

Greg Ward
02-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I get full Bible book names in my Ctrl+Shift+B copy to Word and in my highlight Browse text and right-click Copy Selected Text to Word.

So, what kind of copy and from where, i.e. copy Search List, highlight Browse and Ctrl-C, or Ctrl-Shift-B, or what? Also, where are you copying to?

gesnipes
02-18-2009, 09:56 PM
I can get it to work with cntrl-shift-b, but it seems odd that I would have to manually put in the scripture reference each time I want to copy text. When I am in the main text window, I have always highlighted the text I wanted and hit cntrl-c and then pasted into word.

It would be easier just to type in the book name than it would be to have to type in the whole scripture reference again to copy text.

I can't figure out why they allow the full book name to be copied from Ctl-Shift-B but not from the main text window. I am not sure why BW8 defaults to a three letter code at all. This makes an awkward looking reference on a page.

Greg Ward
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
In the Browse window, if I highlight the text of a verse (Highlight Reuben...Judah;) and Ctrl-c , I get in MS Word:

Exodus 1:2 NAU Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah;

In the Browse window, if I highlight the complete refernce and verse (Highlight Exodus...Judah;) and Ctrl-c, I get in MS Word:

Exodus 1:2 NAU NAU Exodus 1:2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah;

By unchecking Tools/Options/Export Options/Export Reference String when Exporting Browse Text
NAU Exodus 1:2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi and Judah;

Also my settings in Tools/Options/Output Format Options/Selected Browse Text are:
Favorite Settings: name of your choice in one of the undefined
Where to copy: MS Word
Reference Format: <book> <chapter>:<verse> <version>
Options checked: Use user Defined Book Names, Export formatting, Superscript internal, Place Reference Before Text

Also in Tools/Options/Bible Version/Book Names, I have 'Exodus' rather than the default 'Exod.' in the Export Column.

gesnipes
02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
As it turns out, the solution worked from the beginning (or so I think). It is only the book of Genesis that seems to have a problem. Since I was testing my settings from Genesis I didn't see any success.

Can someone else check and see if they can cut and paste from Genesis with a user defined export name? I tested in 15 other books and it exports fine, but Genesis does not. Look at my export from Exodus:
Exodus 1:2-3 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah;
3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin;

When I try from Genesis it does the following:
Gen 1:3-4 3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.

Both have identical settings and from what I can tell, only Genesis does not work.

MBushell
02-20-2009, 05:03 PM
As it turns out, the solution worked from the beginning (or so I think). It is only the book of Genesis that seems to have a problem. Since I was testing my settings from Genesis I didn't see any success.

Can someone else check and see if they can cut and paste from Genesis with a user defined export name? I tested in 15 other books and it exports fine, but Genesis does not. Look at my export from Exodus:
Exodus 1:2-3 2 Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah;
3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin;

When I try from Genesis it does the following:
Gen 1:3-4 3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.

Both have identical settings and from what I can tell, only Genesis does not work.
Without knowing what display settings you have and how exactly you are doing the copy, it is hard to give advice. To debug an issue I would need your BW800.ini file and your copyops.dat file, and a step by step direction. There are many ways to do copies in BW and they are pretty much independent. By cut and past do you mean using the context menu to copy text to the clipboard and then pasting it in?

You can check the Booknames panel in the Setup dialog. The first column is the BW 3 letter abbreviation. The second column has the names displayed in the Browse window (if it is set to not display the 3 letter names). The third column has the names used in text exports. Maybe your genesis entry got changes somehow.

Mike