PDA

View Full Version : Typing the @ sign on a German Keyboard?

jdarlack
02-18-2009, 01:25 PM
A student was trying to type the @ sign in the command line in order to perform a search on grammatical forms in Greek/Hebrew. This student is a native German speaker, using a laptop with a German keyboard, etc. What is the proper key combination to type an @ sign in that case?

Thanks

Adamsen
02-18-2009, 02:23 PM
A student was trying to type the @ sign in the command line in order to perform a search on grammatical forms in Greek/Hebrew. This student is a native German speaker, using a laptop with a German keyboard, etc. What is the proper key combination to type an @ sign in that case?

Thanks

I do not have a German keyboard, but perhaps the issues involved are similar to the ones we have as Danes.

If so, then in order to run a morphological search from the command line, which includes the ability to enter the @ sign, one must

Disable the Always Use English Keyboard Layout for Greek and Hebrew at the bottom of the BibleWorks Keyboard Layout window (see the picture)
Choose Greek in the pull-down menu at the top and set the Keyboard Layouts to the appropriate German one. Repeat for Hebrew
Set Change Command Line Keyboard Layout to Automatically
Optionally set the Default language as German (see the picture where I have set it to Dansk, i.e. Danish, in the pull-down menu at the bottom)

Configured in this way, I can enter the @ sign by using the key that has the @ sign on it. The @ sign may be placed on different keys, depending on the manufacturer of the keybard or the computer. All other Command Line rules apply, such as using "." for an AND search and writing something valid before the @ sign. :)

I hope this helps.

Georg

toph
02-19-2009, 03:14 AM
The correct combination is to hold "Alt Gr" (the right Alt key) and press Q.

Adamsen
02-19-2009, 03:23 AM
The correct combination is to hold "Alt Gr" (the right Alt key) and press Q.

Nice example of Q & @! :)