PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Handling of custom booknames

Adamsen
02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Several versions of BW have supported custom booknames. I am a native Dane who occasionally write in English. It would be nice to able to switch booknames in the Copy options.

However, regardless of whether the programmers will offer that feature or not, it is cumbersome when the bookname file is updated. There seems to be no easy way to save one's translations. Either you have to re-insert your custom translations into the new bookname file, which is time-consuming, giving the large number of entries. Or you have to find the new and modified entries, add them and translate them.

Of course, it takes one Dane to do that and then re-distribute that one file to other Danish users. Not a very elegant solution in my view.

It would be very nice, if BibleWorks would allow for easy localization of booknames. I can imagine several ways to do that, but will leave that for the excellent programmers at BibleWorks.

Mark Eddy
02-15-2009, 09:55 PM
BibleWorks 8 comes with optional book name files for various languages. These include Catalan, Czech, Spanish, French, German, and Polish. It is relatively easy to make a new version. Using "My Computer" copy one of the .bna files from the BibleWorks 8 init folder into a different location. Rename it in that other location, for example "booksdanish.bna". Then copy it back into the init folder.
Then within BibleWorks using the "Options Window" select "Book Names" then click on "Open" and you will see a list of all available .bna files. Double click on the one you made to open it. Then you can change the second column to Danish names and change the third column to the Danish export abbreviation you wish to use. As long as the Danish abbreviations are not the same as a another English book in BibleWorks, you should have no problem.
You can also edit this new booksdanish.bna file using NotePad or WordPad. (This would probably be quicker.) Once you save this new file, when BibleWorks updates, your newly created book name file will not be overwritten by the update.
When you wish to work in Danish, have the booksdanish.bna file loaded. When you wish to work in English, use the Options Window "Book Names" to switch to the regular English book name file.
Or do I misunderstand your questions?
Mark Eddy

Adamsen
02-16-2009, 02:18 AM
BibleWorks 8 comes with optional book name files for various languages. These include Catalan, Czech, Spanish, French, German, and Polish. It is relatively easy to make a new version. Using "My Computer" copy one of the .bna files from the BibleWorks 8 init folder into a different location. Rename it in that other location, for example "booksdanish.bna". Then copy it back into the init folder.
Then within BibleWorks using the "Options Window" select "Book Names" then click on "Open" and you will see a list of all available .bna files. Double click on the one you made to open it. Then you can change the second column to Danish names and change the third column to the Danish export abbreviation you wish to use. As long as the Danish abbreviations are not the same as a another English book in BibleWorks, you should have no problem.
You can also edit this new booksdanish.bna file using NotePad or WordPad. (This would probably be quicker.) Once you save this new file, when BibleWorks updates, your newly created book name file will not be overwritten by the update.
When you wish to work in Danish, have the booksdanish.bna file loaded. When you wish to work in English, use the Options Window "Book Names" to switch to the regular English book name file.
Or do I misunderstand your questions?
Mark Eddy

Perhaps you do ... ;) In fact, my suggestion presupposes what you describe. I have been doing that for years, at least a decade, in fact. But a lovely stream of new versions and user versions means that there are many changes to the book names file. Either you have to start from scratch, when BibleWorks adds or changes the existing book names. Or you have to manually apply any changes to your custom book names-file. Having done that for years, I can assure you that it is time-consuming. Ideally, I would suggest a database for booknames. In that way, BibleWorks only has to modify the very records that are to be changed, or insert new ones. New records are easy to find and translate. A database format would even make it extremely easy to (re-)insert translations, as that can be done using queries.

Well, I will wait and see if the BibleWorks people want to chime in. Alternatively, perhaps some BW-user could be persuaded to write a WordPress-plugin to handle all languages - for use on the BibleWorks blog? :)

Mark Eddy
02-18-2009, 01:20 AM
When BW8 came out I checked the new book names (mostly for Pseudepigrapha) with book names for the various user databases which are available. I notified BibleWorks of some conflicts. I notified the creator of the user databases as well. Both changed their book name abbreviations, so that the conflicts were removed. BW put out a new book name abbreviation file, which every user can update from the BibleWorks updater. The BibleWorks Blog also posted a new .bna file which includes all the user databases as well as those in the official books.bna file. What Michael Hanel and I have tried to do is to update the Blog .bna file when new book names are added. It takes only a short time to do this, if it is done whenever a new book is added. You could simply update your Danish version and submit it to the Blog when you do.
You seem to have something else in mind, which for me would require computer skills which I do not have. The current system works fine for me. I spend a couple hours on it, and nobody else has to do it in English. Perhaps someone could do the same for Danish. As long as we give a different name to our .bna file from the official "books.bna" file of BibleWorks, our file will not be overwritten when BibleWorks comes up with a new book name. But the programmers are not fluent in modern foreign languages, so that they will not be able to do the translation themselves.
Mark Eddy

Adamsen
02-18-2009, 02:19 AM
When BW8 came out I checked the new book names (mostly for Pseudepigrapha) with book names for the various user databases which are available. I notified BibleWorks of some conflicts. I notified the creator of the user databases as well. Both changed their book name abbreviations, so that the conflicts were removed. BW put out a new book name abbreviation file, which every user can update from the BibleWorks updater. The BibleWorks Blog also posted a new .bna file which includes all the user databases as well as those in the official books.bna file. What Michael Hanel and I have tried to do is to update the Blog .bna file when new book names are added. It takes only a short time to do this, if it is done whenever a new book is added. You could simply update your Danish version and submit it to the Blog when you do.
You seem to have something else in mind, which for me would require computer skills which I do not have. The current system works fine for me. I spend a couple hours on it, and nobody else has to do it in English. Perhaps someone could do the same for Danish. As long as we give a different name to our .bna file from the official "books.bna" file of BibleWorks, our file will not be overwritten when BibleWorks comes up with a new book name. But the programmers are not fluent in modern foreign languages, so that they will not be able to do the translation themselves.
Mark Eddy
Thanks for your explanation. I do in fact know about that, and this work is very, very fine. I am sorry if you feel that my suggestion is an attack on the programmers or the works that you and Michael have done. It was not meant so.

However, you are right that I could do as you suggest, and as you have done. But in my opinion, a more elegant solution could be designed. While it is lovely that Michael Hanel and you do what you do, and while it is a tremendous service that BibleWorks do include the international booknames files, there are two issues that I think should be taken seriously. The first is the one you mention: Neither the programmers nor you and Michael will be able to translate all book names. You do not have the skills for all the languages that users of BW use as a matter of actual fact. The second is that the very concept of user version implies - in my opinion, at least - that one should not be required to submit one's book names to other people. Why should we? Some may even be highly personal for various reasons.

This is why I think that a method to merge one's own book names with those provided by BibleWorks and others in a quick and easy way (without the requirements for programming skills) should be implemented. But I never intended to stir an argument, so I will leave the discussion here. :) Book names are one of the most important issues for an effective use of BW in non-English languages. I am happy that we are able to translate them, as it is.