PDA

View Full Version : Editing User Compiled Database Version?

mikeandlesliegaul
02-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Once I have created my own Bible version, and it is part of my BibleWorks, can I go in and edit portions?

I ask because I expect my translation/version will be evolving as I do more translation work over the coming years.

Thanks, Mike

Adamsen
02-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Once I have created my own Bible version, and it is part of my BibleWorks, can I go in and edit portions?

I ask because I expect my translation/version will be evolving as I do more translation work over the coming years.

Thanks, Mike

Yes. You have to edit the file you compiled. Then re-compile it. You cannot edit the compiled version directly. If you have lost the original version, you can export your user version and then edit the exported file.

I manage my translation work in a program, say, Word. When I am ready for compilation, I export it in the format required by BibleWorks. A series of macros convert the format codes into the tags understood by BW and save it in - in my case - txt format.

So yes, no problem!

Georg

mikeandlesliegaul
02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Thank you Georg.
Mike

Jovialjoe
02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I am also interested in compiling versions. I tried one successfully. But I find the tagging very tiresome....I am interested in knowing how you use macros to tag. so could you please post the macros you use (of course with some instructions), if you do not mind in sharing it. I hope some others also may benefit from it...:)

Yes. You have to edit the file you compiled. Then re-compile it. You cannot edit the compiled version directly. If you have lost the original version, you can export your user version and then edit the exported file.

I manage my translation work in a program, say, Word. When I am ready for compilation, I export it in the format required by BibleWorks. A series of macros convert the format codes into the tags understood by BW and save it in - in my case - txt format.

So yes, no problem!

Georg

Adamsen
02-18-2009, 01:31 PM
so could you please post the macros you use (of course with some instructions), if you do not mind in sharing it. I hope some others also may benefit from it...:)

No, I am afraid that I cannot. Not because I am unwilling to do so, but for the time being I do not have access to WordPerfect. I wrote the Macros for WordPerfect in 2000. Writing macros for Word is something I have on my To Do-list, but I am afraid that it will not be any time soon.

I think it is quite manageable to format a translation in Word and then search for the Word codes for, say, italics and replace them with the appropriate BW-tags. That was what I did in WordPerfect. The rest of the code is control structures (while-endwhile,if-else-endif and the like) and variables for outputting chapter and verse numbers and book names. I also removed or replaced certain characters that would cause problems for the BW User Versions Compiler.

Sorry, but right now that is all what I can provide.