PDA

View Full Version : Another Quirk from dual displays

SkipB
02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I use BW 8 in class with a projector. I often have the main program window on the screen of my laptop and a secondary browse window showing text to the class. Sometimes I will show the students how to do something by dragging a dialog window to the projector. Well If I don't drag some windows back, they will not open on my laptop screen when I don't have a projector connected.
Right now I can't get to the Edit search/display favorites menu because it is trying to open in limbo.
I usually have to go get a projector and hook it up to find the errant screen or reset my ini file. Both are very inconvenient. This seems to be new with 8. I don't recall this happening before the upgrade. I am using Win XP sp3. I just installed latest version BW.
Any suggestions?

MBushell
02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I use BW 8 in class with a projector. I often have the main program window on the screen of my laptop and a secondary browse window showing text to the class. Sometimes I will show the students how to do something by dragging a dialog window to the projector. Well If I don't drag some windows back, they will not open on my laptop screen when I don't have a projector connected.
Right now I can't get to the Edit search/display favorites menu because it is trying to open in limbo.
I usually have to go get a projector and hook it up to find the errant screen or reset my ini file. Both are very inconvenient. This seems to be new with 8. I don't recall this happening before the upgrade. I am using Win XP sp3. I just installed latest version BW.
Any suggestions?
Skip,
Sounds like the program is behaving exactly as it should. It is saving and restoring the window positions. There is a Windows keyboard shortcut to move cascade open windows to the desktop but I don't remember what it is. Does anyone out there remember?
Mike

MBushell
02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Right click on the task bar (beside the start menu), and then click ‘cascade windows’. That will recover any windows off screen. Of course you'll have to resize them but it is easier than rehooking the second monitor.
Mike

spitzerpl
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Right click on the task bar (beside the start menu), and then click ‘cascade windows’. That will recover any windows off screen. Of course you'll have to resize them but it is easier than rehooking the second monitor.
Mike

I've had this problem with other programs and it was really annoying. I would have never thought of this solution. Thank you! it is much easier then remembering the shortcut for moving a window!

SkipB
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Maybe something else is going on, I can't open options menu, search limits, or edit favorites. The copy window is not working either. Going to delete ini and see if that fixes it

SkipB
02-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Cascading windows did not help. I swapped ini files and it worked fine,but customization was gone. So I connected projector and drug the errant window back onto my main desktop. I just need to remember to center everything before I disconnect. But I think I will make a copy of my ini file now in working order to have handy if I get messed up again. Thanks for all the input though guys.

MBushell
02-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Cascading windows did not help. I swapped ini files and it worked fine,but customization was gone. So I connected projector and drug the errant window back onto my main desktop. I just need to remember to center everything before I disconnect. But I think I will make a copy of my ini file now in working order to have handy if I get messed up again. Thanks for all the input though guys.
Skip,
If you ever get in that position again, send me the INI file. If you have a modal message box open offscreen the program might appear frozen or unresponsive.
Mike