PDA

View Full Version : Concordance for Gospel of John

cdclayton
02-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Part of my New Year's Resolution involves reading my Greek NT every day during the week. I try to get 4 or 5 verses a day. One of the observations I have made this past month is that I will come to a word that will look familiar but I cannot remember what it means. However, if I can look back to where I first read in in John, then that old context brings to mind the meaning of the word. Unfortunately, I cannot always remember where I read the word before. What would be nice would be to have a print concordance just for the Gospel of John since I do my reading away from my computer.

I have searched the archives but I did not see any solutions that did not involve creating the concordance 1 word at a time.

So my question would be if the new version of BW has some feature that would allow you to make a concordance (I have BW7).

Thanks,

Charles

Adamsen
02-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Part of my New Year's Resolution involves reading my Greek NT every day during the week. I try to get 4 or 5 verses a day. One of the observations I have made this past month is that I will come to a word that will look familiar but I cannot remember what it means. However, if I can look back to where I first read in in John, then that old context brings to mind the meaning of the word. Unfortunately, I cannot always remember where I read the word before.

So my question would be if the new version of BW has some feature that would allow you to make a concordance (I have BW7).

Thanks,

Charles

To the best of my knowledge: Not really if you mean a printed concordance. You can make one, but manually. The Word List Manager allows you to make a list of all words in, e.g., John. In the KWIC module you can build lists with the verses that contain a given word. However, I don't think that you can build a concordance with all words listed alphabetically, each word followed by the list of occurrences.

If you do your study using your computer, then you simply type in the word you want to study in the KWIC module and search for it in, e.g., John. One word (or more Greek words, as soon as the programmers fix a bug in the KWIC module).

Is this what you are after?

MGVH
02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
I just posted on ways to create a concordance here:
http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2009/02/creating-concordances-using-accordance.html
There is no easy way in BW, but you might try LaParola, a free program which appears to create what you want very quickly.

Glenn Weaver
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I thought I would expand upon what Georg Adamsen said about using the KWIC module to find this type of information.

When you find a word that you can't remember, but want to see it in context elsewhere in the book, right-click on the word in the Browse Window text, then select either "Search on Form in KWIC" or "Lookup Lemma in KWIC", depending upon whether you want to see the exact form or all forms of the word.

The KWIC module opens and begins the search. Stop the search, then enter the name of the book in the Verse Range field. If you are searching on lemma, you will want to also select Options | Display Brother Text (in KWIC. Press Build, and now every occurence of the word in that book, in context, appears in the upper window.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Weaver
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Bob,

I can't answer your question, as I don't do the programming. I suggest that you submit your idea at http://www.bibleworks.com/ideas.html.

Glenn

cdclayton
02-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Sorry for the delay, I have been having problems with the internet. I do greatly appreciate all the responses. LaParola worked fine for me.

Perhaps in a later version something can be added to make a concordance. When I teach bible class, I often times given out the English text and supply a concordance with it. I use the Simple Concordance Program (http://www.textworld.com/scp/). I find it helps the students to see reoccurring words.

Thanks Mark also for looking into seeing if Libronix would work.

Blessings,

Charles