PDA

View Full Version : Dual screen bug

Ben Spackman
02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
My old PC has two screens connected to it. The main screen is left, the secondary right. I put BW on the right screen (and it remembers that placement when it starts up.) However, when I mouse over pop-up references in the notes, editor, and analysis window lexicons, the scripture pops up on the right side of the left monitor, instead of near the scripture.

Anyone else show this behavior?

MGVH
02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Same thing happens for me, but I don't know that it is a "bug." It does act like BW should be on the left screen and the popups showing where the analysis window would be if it were on the left screen. I haven't totally minded it, because sometimes the popups get in the way of what I'm trying to read.

Adamsen
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
My old PC has two screens connected to it. The main screen is left, the secondary right. I put BW on the right screen (and it remembers that placement when it starts up.) However, when I mouse over pop-up references in the notes, editor, and analysis window lexicons, the scripture pops up on the right side of the left monitor, instead of near the scripture.

Not exactly, but something similar perhaps. As the picture attached shows, the popup window spans across the monitors. I have, in fact, reported that years ago. Perhaps it is a Windows problem, but some programs seem to be able to get it right.

The only workaround I have found is to decrease the size of the window so that the popup window is displayed on the same monitor. This is not always possible, which makes it quite difficult to read a popup, as one cannot move it.

Ben Spackman
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I wondered if it were a Windows problem (I'm running XP SP3), except that BW7 didn't have this problem.

On the other hand, BW7 did have some redraw problems, and I'm having more with BW8. I suspect that's a mixed issue between BW and Windows. For example, the BW toolbar, mostly the top left half, tends to disappear. That's quite frequent.

When I click the old search button, on the right side of the command line, the whole side blanks out (sometimes, but not always.)

Greg Ward
02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Ben,
I get the same in BW8 w/ Vista. I normally use BW on the main screen so have never observed this problem. But I tried BW on the secondary (extended) screen and only popups for Word Analysis tab show on the primary screen. Other popups, such as Browse Window, and Browse Window tab, show up as normal near the cursor on the secondary screen.

Georg,
I can't reproduce your issue. Is primary screen on left or right?

Correction: Georg, If I place secondary screen to the left of the primary screen, I get the behavior you describe above. I thought there was a way to reassign the primary screen to the external monitor, in this case on the left. But I'm not figuring it out in Vista at the moment. This annoyance could be the problem of a video card/driver as well.

Interesting how the behavior is not the same depending to which side the desktop is extended.

tcblack
02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Ditto Ben,
I sent in a bug report but have yet to hear anything about it.

MBushell
02-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Ditto Ben,
I sent in a bug report but have yet to hear anything about it.

I have developed BW for several years on two monitors. I have the main screen on the right and the secondary on the left. All of the popups work just fine. It could be a driver problem. There aren't that many dual monitor systems and it probably doesn't get as much testing as more common configurations.

Mike

MBushell
02-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Spock,
I just posted a fix for this. Try it and see if it helps (8.0.006r). Apparently the old code works if the default monitor is on the right, but not if it is on the left.
Kirk

tcblack
02-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Excellent, for my part, I just checked it out on my setup and it seems to work great.
Thanks Mike!

Greg Ward
02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Fixed Analysis Window verse popups for extended desktop monitor to right side.

With BW8.0.006r1 running on right extended desktop, the following popup balloons still show on main laptop lcd, Desktop only. If I've got IE running on main laptop lcd, nothing is seen:

Search Window Header (descriptions for green buttons)
Browse Window Header (descriptions for options and browse buttons). This applys to all Browse Window headers (Main, Secondary, Analysis Browse tab).

Additional question: From where is the Analysis Browse tab pulling its version list, or even primary version?

Thanks Mike for continuing to work out the kinks. I appreciate your work on the program.

Ben Spackman
02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Ditto, although I never would have noticed the descriptions of the buttons on the other screen, since it's not something I'm looking for. Very minor, may not even need to be fixed. Definitely back-burner.

Thanks!

Greg Ward
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Mike,
Thanks for that last tweak for 8.0.006s.1. My five minute run through did not show any problems with extended monitor either direction. Great work!