PDA

View Full Version : Browse Window Size

sscalf
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I am new to the forum. I had previously used BW7. I just installed the latest version and so far Everything looks great. My only question is related to the actual size of the windows inside the program. I prefer the browse window to be much larger than the default size. I have changed it to what I like about a dozen times, but after closing the program and opening it a gain later the window sizes have again returned to the default size. I know that this was not the case in BW7. Can any one tell me if there is anything I can do about this; as it is rather cumbersome to have to change the size every time. Thanks and Keep up the great work!!!!

jfidel
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Go to tools/options then general/flags. Under the shutdown options check the box that says save setup options on exit.

John Fidel

sscalf
02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Go to tools/options then general/flags. Under the shutdown options check the box that says save setup options on exit.

John Fidel

Hey, I have tried this. It actually saves all other settings other than the size of the windows in the program. Thanks for the quick response.

sscalf
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey everyone, I have been wrestling with this issue for about three hours and finally found a solution. First of let me say that I am running Windows Vista. There in lies the dilemma. I found that if you ran BW as administrator then changed window size settings then closed the program and restarted you would now have the settings stored so that you do not have to reset them each time you open the program.

Now all I have to figure out is how to make the copy from browse window function paste without inserting a line break after every verse. I like to copy my text from the browse window and just paste it where ever I need it to go. I have looked around for solutions for this but have yet to find a resolution, but rather I have found a lot of other people who are equally frustrated with this feature.

Hroth7
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I too have been having problems with the browser window shrinking and the analysis window growing on start up. But I am not running vista; I am using XP. Any suggestions?

Mark Eddy
02-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I too have been having problems with the browser window shrinking and the analysis window growing on start up. But I am not running vista; I am using XP. Any suggestions?
Just do what John said:
Mark Eddy

Adamsen
02-05-2009, 01:43 AM

Apart from the other recommendations, also make sure to update BibleWorks to the latest release (Help -> BibleWorks on the Internet -> Check for updates). If you have not changed the default config of BW8, then you should be notified to do so now and then.

Hroth7
02-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Just do what John said:
Mark Eddy

I have done all of what has been suggested before I even made my first post; thus my frustration. HR

J Kendall
02-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I thought that I didn't have this problem, but I've just installed BW8 on my laptop which has a 1680x1050 widescreen display and find myself in the same situation.

I've carried out a little bit of investigation by incrementally increasing the width of the Browse Window and then closing and restarting BW8. It appears that there is a threshold point beyond which the Browse Window width is not saved on closing and reverts to a default when BibleWorks is restarted.

I can replicate this behaviour on my desktop (1280x1024), but as my normal Browse Window width is lower than the threshold, the problem is not apparent there. However on my laptop, an acceptable width for the Browse Window is beyond this threshold and thus the problem recurs.

Could other folk, who may not otherwise suffer from this problem, test this out on their own PCs to confirm my findings?

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales

Jay W.
02-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I run into the same problem running a MacBook Pro with Fusion 2.0, at 1680x1050.

When I expand the browse window to include anything more than just the name of the Bible book at the top of the window, the browse window always defaults to a very small width the next time I start the program.

If I include any portion of the chapter drop down box in making the browse window wider, the browse window will go back to the default the next time the program is started up.

I can only make the window as wide as the right side of the Bible book drop down box.

J Kendall
02-07-2009, 06:56 PM
My problem isn't that extreme. If you reduce the width of the Search Window, you should find that you can widen the Browse Window a little more, but what you describe isn't really an acceptable state of things.

Can I again ask if users who don't have this problem can confirm that there's a threshold width to the Browse Window beyond which Bibleworks reverts to a narrower default on restart?

John

Hroth7
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm just glad to see that it is not just me with the browser returning to default at start up. Now maybe BW will take this complaint seriously with more and more coming up with the same problem. It is frustrating.

SkipB
02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
There is absolutely a point that will force the program to restart with a downsized browse window. I have played with it for several days on my wide screen.It seems to be related to the actual size of the browse window and not to the relative sizes. However I can have almost all of my wide screen monitor as a browse window if I turn of the display of the analysis window. So it must be something working between the info pane and browse pane.

Hroth7
02-11-2009, 08:04 AM
I too have been playing with the positions of the browser and analysis windows. And I have come to the conclussion that the problem appears to be with the analysis window and not the browser. When I set the three columns to the position I desire and restart BW8 the analsis window grows, overpowering the browser window. If I set to my desired position, turn off the analysis window and restart BW8 and the turn the analysis window on everything is where I originally set it. Maybe someone at BW can correct from that perspective.

revaaron
02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
For the sake of discussion and maybe to flag BW staff, I too have been having the browse window size-problem on my wide screen laptop. I am running Vista as well. Not a huge issue, but a nuisance for sure.

Ben Spackman
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I have this problem as well. BW frequently (though not always) resets to a very narrow browse window, though only on my laptop.