PDA

View Full Version : My no. 1 wish

Adamsen
01-29-2009, 09:42 AM
BibleWorks 8 is fine, as I expected (having used BibleWorks since version 3.2 or 3.5). The many new resources are wonderful.

However, it is not always easy to find the non-biblical texts and their translations. I very much wish that one could somehow choose all the versions of, e.g., Philo, Josephus, the OT Pseudepigrapha, the Peshitta and related versions.

As it is now, one can enter "display +Danish" (abbreviated: "d +Danish") if you will add all Danish versions as display versions. Perhaps something like that could be implemented? "display Philo"

Perhaps this is difficult to implement, but then it is also difficult for us users to set up. I am sure that the good folks at BibleWorks can invent a better idea than mine, but something like that would be a major step in user friendliness.

Any one with a better idea?

Dale A. Brueggemann
01-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I would definitely vote for that option

SkipB
01-29-2009, 02:37 PM
I like the idea too.

calvary
01-29-2009, 02:50 PM
I'd really like that!

Dave

MBushell
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM
We could probably add something like this, but it is sort of redundant. You can set up your own search and display favorites to do this an much more, unless I misst the point, which I do from time to time.
Mike

MGVH
01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
I have my system set to do exactly what you describe. (This works for both BW7 and BW8.)
First look at this post (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2008/08/bibleworks7-working-with-tabs.html)on working with tabs in BW7 (same deal for BW8)
Then read this post (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2008/08/bibleworks7-using-tab-sets.html) on using tabs with search/display favorites (like Mike B mentioned)
Here's what it looks like:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__cXdOf6zZ6A/SLQ8scEHiSI/AAAAAAAABO4/FbKPGNw8sGs/s400/bw7tabs.jpg

Adamsen
01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
I have my system set to do exactly what you describe. (This works for both BW7 and BW8.)

Yes, I know how to do it. But ...

1) BW8 would then not require each user to do that from scratch
2) BW8 would automatically detect when new versions of, e.g., Josephus, are added (or deleted) - as it is now it is a little bit unmanageable

The "display Danish" or "display +Danish" works because each version is identified as Danish. This is also the case with the user versions.

Instead of "custom" in the Version Database Compiler Content field, one would enter "Philo", "Josephus", Dead Sea Scrolls, Talmud, Mishnah etc.

Some versions ago, BibleWorks hardly included anything but Bible versions. Not so any more, and this is the reason that I set forth my suggestion. It is not because it cannot be done, e.g., by defining one's favorites. Each user could also define the OT and the NT from scratch. But why?

Apart from that, I am sure that one or two users do not have the time or energy to do it anyway. Finally, I have some user versions added. This means that there are so many English versions that it is difficult to find what I am looking for. A categorisation of sorts would be helpful.

Just my two cents. :)

Soxfan23
01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Sounds good to me too :D

I'm all for ease of usage, which is why I still think they should implement a parallel verse function which allows you to type in 2+ different verses in the command line and a window pops up with the verses stacked on top of one another as opposed to having to use the parallel function to manually list 4 different verses from drop-down menus side by side.

You know you'd use it! (I would all the time)

Adamsen
01-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Sounds good to me too :D

I'm all for ease of usage, which is why I still think they should implement a parallel verse function which allows you to type in 2+ different verses in the command line and a window pops up with the verses stacked on top of one another as opposed to having to use the parallel function to manually list 4 different verses from drop-down menus side by side.

You know you'd use it! (I would all the time)

Actually, I would use this feature if it was there. It often happens that I copy a number of verses to the editor, only in order to be able to see them at the same time. At other times, I use the Verse List Manager that enables me to very quickly shift between verses.

Dale A. Brueggemann
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
implement a parallel verse function which allows you to type in 2+ different verses in the command line and a window pops up with the verses stacked on top of one another.... You know you'd use it! (I would all the time)

Absolutely! I used something like this all the time in Accordance when I was still on a Mac and running that. If I remember, it was just one of the options for the browse text. You could just type in something like this, and it would all display:

Gen 1:1; Jn 1:1; Rom 5:1-3, 7-8; 7:1-2