PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks Add-In for Microsoft Word

Jon Guyer
01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Anyone else doing integration between Word and BibleWorks? Attached is a Word 2007 template that puts a Greek tab for inserting, parsing, and formatting Greek text in particular. Hebrew version now included (see later posts), and updated for BibleWorks 8. Main uses are aimed at learning Greek/Hebrew (manual parsing) and translation for sermons (auto parsing).

http://jagtech.biz/external/screenshot.jpg

Can automatically parse a given text using BW morphology and customisable Word styles, plus manual formatting options. An example of the output:

http://jagtech.biz/external/screenshot2.jpg

Precha1
01-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for this. I am looking forward to the BW 8 update and the Hebrew macro.

I have been using a Hebrew macro that works with text that I copy from Logos 3. The font is bigger and helps my over 40 eyes. I was unable to attach the file because it uploads as a ".dotm" file which is not on the approved files list. (I have no idea what this means or how to change it.) I would be happy to email it to you for your consideration. It was designed in 2001 when i was in seminary by an engineer from NASA. It seems to work ok with Word 2007 only the Hebrew text is copied in reverse order. Essentially what the macro does is take Hebrew text (when highlighted) and put it in a parsing chart with an option for "weaknesses." I welcome the opportunity for those who "know macro code" to peak and tweak it so that it works with BW 8. In the meantime, I appreciate all that you have done and are willing to share.

FredGreco
01-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi Jon,

I have been using a Hebrew macro that works with text that I copy from Logos 3. The font is bigger and helps my over 40 eyes. I was unable to attach the file because it uploads as a ".dotm" file which is not on the approved files list. (I have no idea what this means or how to change it.) I would be happy to email it to you for your consideration. It was designed in 2001 when i was in seminary by an engineer from NASA. It seems to work ok with Word 2007 only the Hebrew text is copied in reverse order. Essentially what the macro does is take Hebrew text (when highlighted) and put it in a parsing chart with an option for "weaknesses." I welcome the opportunity for those who "know macro code" to peak and tweak it so that it works with BW 8. In the meantime, I appreciate all that you have done and are willing to share.

Precha,

I don't know how to help with the macro issue itself, but you should be able to "ZIP" the macro file (right click and select "add to ZIP file" or "send to compressed folder") and then attach it.

Gilbert Salinas
01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi Jon,

HELLO!

I JUST TRIED THIS WITH WORD 2007 AND BW8.

IT WORKS!!!!

Gilbert

Gilbert Salinas
01-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Sorry!

Though the macro copies the range, and it will parse the Greek, it doesn't allow commenting!!!

Gilbert

Precha1
01-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey Fred,

Thanks for the help. Attached is the macro. Copy the Hebrew text into Word. Highlight it and then run "Hebrew Parsing Macro." The macro will ask a few questions and put your verse in a chart format. Its best to use only one verse at a time.

God Bless

Precha1
01-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Hey Jon,

Is it possible to use your Greek macro on the LXX. I tried it but it did not seem to work importing the right text.

Any suggestions you have will be helpful. Thanks,

Jon Guyer
01-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Ah yes, that's a bug. Unfortunately there are different verse numberings in LXX morphology versus actual greek text, which stuffs everything up. Not sure how to fix it as yet.

Jon Guyer
02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
I've updated the file on the original post for a couple of fixes:
* Auto-parsing now includes bracketing of prepositional phrases
* Multiple-verse parsing was not handling verse numbers properly
* Infinitives were not being formatted correctly

Precha1
02-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi Jon,

How can I and others get a copy of your updated files?

Greg Ward
02-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I've updated the file on the original post for a couple of fixes:
* Auto-parsing now includes bracketing of prepositional phrases
* Multiple-verse parsing was not handling verse numbers properly
* Infinitives were not being formatted correctly

==attachment to first post of this thread

Jon Guyer
03-03-2009, 07:30 AM
After some road-testing on some sermon translation of Ephesians, I've updated the file on the original post for some more fixes:
* Auto-parsing now handles paragraph marks in the Bibleworks text without crashing
* Closing brackets of prepositional phrases in auto-parsing is now much more intelligent.
* Subordination arrows are now inserted in the default font and colour instead of picking up formatting of whatever is at the insertion point.
* Speech bracket now inserts at the correct location whether or not page margins are visible.

Alan Sommer
03-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Jon and Precha,

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your work!

Alan

Jon Guyer
08-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Have finally added Hebrew/Aramaic functionality to the Greek Parsing Template. The new version can be downloaded from the original post in this thread - I have overwritten the original attachment, as usual.

New version includes a Hebrew Tab in Word:
http://jagtech.biz/external/hebrew_tab.jpg

As with the Greek, you can either mark-up the text yourself using the buttons, or use auto-parse to do it for you:

http://jagtech.biz/external/hebrew_parsed.jpg

This is a fairly extensive update, including some fixes for the Greek (including faster parsing), so I would recommend backing up any existing version of the template before overwriting, just in case there is some incompatibility.

God bless,

Jon.

Jordan Boston
09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
I was wondering if the attachment I just downloaded off this page is the updated file or if I need to get it elsewhere? Thanks for putting this together.

Jordan

I see the answer to my question above. I did not notice that a second ago. Thanks

laurentiui
09-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Hello,
I've tried the hebrew parsing macro, but it eats the formatting of the first word.
Any sugestion?

Jon Guyer
09-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Hi Laurentiu, I have replied via email. Anyone else with similar problems? I can't reproduce the problem so far, but I'm only testing with two particular configs.

God bless,

Jon.

Joshua Luna
10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Hi Laurentiu, I have replied via email. Anyone else with similar problems? I can't reproduce the problem so far, but I'm only testing with two particular configs.

God bless,

Jon.

Same issue here. Vista (fully updated). Using a trail version of Word 2007 (waiting for Windows 7 disk to get here to install my version). Just installed BW8 and did updates. Looks like SBL font.

EDIT: Disabling accents helped for manually parsing. It isn't working right when parsing (different errors when the cursor is right or left aligned). Pasting works though to get the Hebrew inserted.

Jon Guyer
10-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Hmm, might be coincidence, but both of you guys are using trial versions of word. I wonder if that's the problem. If either of you could attach a word document in which the problem occurred, that would be very helpful.

Jon.

Joshua Luna
12-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Hmm, might be coincidence, but both of you guys are using trial versions of word. I wonder if that's the problem. If either of you could attach a word document in which the problem occurred, that would be very helpful.

Jon.

I will keep you updated. My Windows 7 disk is "in processing" and when I get it I will install the full version of office and give it another go.

Thanks for the help!

Jon Guyer
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
My bad. There are a couple of bugs I've found causing formatting woes for particular verses, including the loss of formatting on the first word. One of them is a stand-alone conjunction with it's own prefixed conjunction (e.g. the first word of Judges 2:3). I'm currently testing a fix to this. I'm preaching on Judges for the next half a year, so I'll hopefully catch a few more of the exception cases like this one.

Joshua Luna
01-31-2010, 03:46 PM
My bad. There are a couple of bugs I've found causing formatting woes for particular verses, including the loss of formatting on the first word. One of them is a stand-alone conjunction with it's own prefixed conjunction (e.g. the first word of Judges 2:3). I'm currently testing a fix to this. I'm preaching on Judges for the next half a year, so I'll hopefully catch a few more of the exception cases like this one.

Thanks Jon!

I upgraded to Windows 7 and installed my retail version of Office 2007 and I have the same issue. I tested a couple Greek verses and didn't see any major problems off hand but the Hebrew verses I have tested still are not showing correctly. When inserted the font is the Bhebb font (size 11). I tried toggling off accents in BW8 to see if that helped with no success.

Is there any info (like settings in BW8?) you would like me to provide?

Jon Guyer
02-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Thanks, Joshua. Can you give me the references for the verses that you've tried out that don't work? I'd also love if you could attach an actual word document where it happened. Ta.

Joshua Luna
02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks, Joshua. Can you give me the references for the verses that you've tried out that don't work? I'd also love if you could attach an actual word document where it happened. Ta.

For me it is every verse. Maybe something to do with how the beginning of the verse is being treated? In the attached I did some various samples (Gen 1:1, 48:16; Exo 3:12; Deu 6:4). Let me know if you need anything else!

Btw, this is a nifty tool for inserting the text right into Word--that alone is very helpful!! :)

Edit: Re-uploaded. Default was docx and BW's forum rejected.

jimofbentley
02-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Would this work in Word 2003/XP, and if so, how do I apply the file?

Thanks.

Jon Guyer
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't think Word 2003 had the ribbon bar at the top, in which case it won't work, sorry :(

Jon Guyer
03-01-2010, 05:10 PM
I've updated the latest version (see the attachment back on the original post on the first page of this thread), which fixes some start of verse Hebrew problems that I was having - hoping it will fix yours, too, Joshua. Give it a shot when you have time and let me know.

God bless,

Jon.

For me it is every verse. Maybe something to do with how the beginning of the verse is being treated? In the attached I did some various samples (Gen 1:1, 48:16; Exo 3:12; Deu 6:4). Let me know if you need anything else!

Btw, this is a nifty tool for inserting the text right into Word--that alone is very helpful!! :)

Edit: Re-uploaded. Default was docx and BW's forum rejected.

HarleyVol
03-08-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't think Word 2003 had the ribbon bar at the top, in which case it won't work, sorry :(

I just started using BW8 and recently found this thread. This seems like a great tool but I have Word 10 and before downloading was just wondering if it will work.
Thanks

Jon Guyer
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Yep, this add-in works with the ribbon bar, but I've only tested it up to Word 2007.

Cheers,

Jon.

Gilbert Salinas
03-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Yep, this add-in works with the ribbon bar, but I've only tested it up to Word 2007.

Cheers,

Jon.

Thanks Jon. These add-ins [both Hebrew and Greek] work in Word 2010 also.

Thank you for the hard work!
Gilbert

cccfree
03-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Does this work for Windows XP/Pro

HarleyVol
03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks,
I tried to add the greek.dotm to word startup but it won't let me - I'm computer illiterate. I can't put any thing before the ">" C:\Users\owner\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ STARTUP> ; and when I c & p greek.dotm after the > and push enter
I get this:
C:\Users\owner\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ STARTUP>greek.dotm
'greek.dotm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

any help would be appreciated
Rod

Jon Guyer
03-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Does this work for Windows XP/Pro

Yep, should do. It's more about the version of BibleWorks & MS Word than the version of windows. As long as your Word version has the ribbon bar, and you've got BW 7 or 8, should be ok.

Jon Guyer
03-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks,
I tried to add the greek.dotm to word startup but it won't let me - I'm computer illiterate. I can't put any thing before the ">" C:\Users\owner\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ STARTUP> ; and when I c & p greek.dotm after the > and push enter
I get this:
C:\Users\owner\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ STARTUP>greek.dotm
'greek.dotm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

any help would be appreciated
Rod

Hi Rod, the idea is to copy the file in windows explorer, not using the command-line. So when you're browsing your windows folders, you start at C: and work your way down through the users folder, your folder, the appdata folder etc. Alternatively you could just c & p the path into the address bar (at the top) of windows explorer, and it should take you straight there. But if you've got your command-line window open anyway, you could just navigate to wherever you have greek.dotm, and then type:

copy greek.dotm C:\Users\owner\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ STARTUP

Hope that helps!

HarleyVol
03-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Jon,
I am really sorry to keep bothering you, but I really would like to use this for my thesis.
When I c & p the C:\Users\owner\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ STARTUP into the windows explorer command line (top) I get an error message that windows can't find that and I am unable to find this when clicking through everything like you said.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Rod

Jon Guyer
04-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Jon,
I am really sorry to keep bothering you, but I really would like to use this for my thesis.
When I c & p the C:\Users\owner\Rod\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ STARTUP into the windows explorer command line (top) I get an error message that windows can't find that and I am unable to find this when clicking through everything like you said.
Rod
Sorry, Rod, but that's about as basic as I can get. Maybe look up "startup" in Word help. Those folders are standard, so I can't explain why you can't see the right folders. Except that you've got spaces between the last \ and STARTUP?

But in the worst case, greek.dotm doesn't need to be in that folder - you can just double-click greek.dotm in windows explorer, and Word will open a new document based on it. Now just delete the help text and start typing your own document. The tabs you need will appear at the top as long as that particular document is open.

Cheers,

jon.

SteveO
04-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Jon,
Rod

Rod,
Could it be you have the wrong path? I note that you have "C:\Users\owner\Rod..." Shouldn't that just be "C:\Users\Rod" (i.e., no "\owner")? You shouldn't use owner but should instead use your profile name (I assume it's "Rod" on your computer).

Also, it might be that you don't have the folder options set in Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders. Without that, the default, (I believe) is to hide the ..\AppData folder.

Because I'm too lazy to go through the effort of writing down steps to verify what I've written below, I'm taking advantage of a site (http://vistahelp.wordpress.com/) I just found while writing this post. The directions are basically sound enough for Win 7. (How to expose hidden folders is also at the same link.)

G8torguy
05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
This an incredible time saver. Was the color/symbol coding you selected your personal preferences or is there an "industry" standard? Is there a list of codings posted anywhere?

Jon Guyer
05-09-2011, 01:47 AM
This an incredible time saver. Was the color/symbol coding you selected your personal preferences or is there an "industry" standard? Is there a list of codings posted anywhere?

Glad to hear it :)

The colours are mine, the symbols are just the way I learnt to do translation mark-up in Bible college (http://moore.edu.au). I don't know of any standard out there.

You can get a full print-out of the codings by hitting the "Key" button under the "Case" group (or for Hebrew, under the "Stem" group).

G8torguy
02-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I have never programmed a MS Word Macro and can't quite figure out how to change the assigned colors. Will please you point me in the right direction?

Jon Guyer
02-04-2012, 03:43 PM
I have never programmed a MS Word Macro and can't quite figure out how to change the assigned colors. Will please you point me in the right direction?

Hi there. No need to program - the colors are just Word styles. But you need to edit greek.dotm directly, so if you've got it in the STARTUP folder, move it out and restart Word so that the template isn't automatically loaded as an add-in. Then open greek.dotm in Word like opening a normal document (don't double-click it from Explorer - you need to actually open it from Word).
Now on the ribbon bar, click on the little arrow at the bottom right of the 'Styles' group, which should give you a drop-down list of Styles. At the bottom of this list is a 'Manage Styles' button - hit that, and the list of styles comes up with a 'Modify' button at the bottom. Just choose the style whose colour you want to change, hit 'Modify', and change the colour etc.
Save the file when you're done, close it, and move it back into the STARTUP folder and re-start word. Now you should get the new colours.

G8torguy
02-05-2012, 03:26 AM
I am changing the font coding because OneNote will not accept all of the coding when I cut/paste from Word. Have you transfered your add-in to OneNote?

Jon Guyer
02-06-2012, 02:09 AM
I am changing the font coding because OneNote will not accept all of the coding when I cut/paste from Word. Have you transfered your add-in to OneNote?

Sorry mate, I don't use OneNote. There's nothing 'encoded' in the formatting though, it just uses Word styles, so it seems like OneNote is not compatible with Word - I'm not sure it's anything to do with the add-in.

G8torguy
02-09-2012, 10:33 PM
I upgraded to Office 2010 to get the updated OneNote because it had enhanced formatting but now the verb formatting doesn't work in Word. I haven't verified that everything else is working correctly but it seems to be. I verified I have your file in the Startup. I'll try to trouble shoot the problem but it won't be soon. Just a heads up.

G8torguy
02-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Apparently I did something wrong with the template the first time. I started from the beginning again and the macro is working fine in Word 2010. OneNote is still not recognizing the vb formatting correctly but I think it should with a little work.

Martinzh
06-21-2013, 08:06 PM
I've tried the Greek, and it works. That's great!!!

On Hebrew, I couldn't succeed. I don't know what happened.
Has anyone done this successfully?

Jon Guyer
06-22-2013, 06:29 AM
I've tried the Greek, and it works. That's great!!!

On Hebrew, I couldn't succeed. I don't know what happened.
Has anyone done this successfully?

What version of word & Bibleworks do you have? And have you made sure Bibleworks browse window is in single-verse mode not browse mode?

Cheers,

Jon.

Martinzh
06-22-2013, 10:43 AM
What version of word & Bibleworks do you have? And have you made sure Bibleworks browse window is in single-verse mode not browse mode?

Cheers,

Jon.

I use BW 9.0 and Word 2010.

It seems there is no difference whether the Bibleworks browse window is in single-verse mode or browse mode.

Thank you.

Martin

Jon Guyer
06-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I use BW 9.0 and Word 2010.

It seems there is no difference whether the Bibleworks browse window is in single-verse mode or browse mode.

Thank you.

Martin

Hard to say where it is coming from, sadly. You could try an empty new document.

CrisFl
12-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Hard to say where it is coming from, sadly. You could try an empty new document.
I tend to join to this opinion. It may help.