PDA

View Full Version : x-Ref changes

Don Johnson
01-28-2009, 03:35 AM
Well, I like the new cross references tab and I love having the Thompson-Chain reference included!

But... In version 7 (and maybe in 6 too, if I remember) we had the cross references easily accessible on the right hand side of the analysis window. This was incredibly handy by just "mouse over" ESV or NAS to have their specific X-refs, plus the TSK with the KJV and other versions.

Now in the X-ref tab, I have to manually select which x-ref database I want. Needless to say, this slows me down...

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the cross-reference tab for when I need it, but quite often I am just quickly glancing at a verse and the quick and easy mouse-over x-refs is just the ticket for that.

Would it be very hard to put these back in? -- or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Greg Ward
01-28-2009, 08:32 AM
The versions with their cross references will still display in the Word Analysis window (NAS, NIV, ESV, ???).

Also, as in BW7, you can pop up a TSK cross reference window. Go to Resources menu/X-Refs/TSK (non-CHM). You can size this and place it where you like on the screen. I would often leave it over the bottom portion of the search results window.

You could also set the main Analysis tab to X-Ref and open a second Word Analysis Window. Here's one layout from BW7 for positioning a second Word Analysis window: http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5112&postcount=1
Or another with TSK window, second Word Analysis and Resource Summary windows:
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154&goto=nextnewest
You can open another Word Analysis or Resources Summary window using the Browse Window Options button/menu ('yellow open book with green check box above it' button) in the Browse Window header bar.

I think the BW8 X-Ref tab will allow more flexibility, such as selecting different X-Ref sources or even building your own X-Ref database (see Help file ch. 17).

Don Johnson
01-28-2009, 01:10 PM
The versions with their cross references will still display in the Word Analysis window (NAS, NIV, ESV, ???).

They do? How do you set that to appear?

I think the BW8 X-Ref tab will allow more flexibility, such as selecting different X-Ref sources or even building your own X-Ref database (see Help file ch. 17).

As I said, the cross reference tab is great, but I see no quick way to change between databases. I have to click on the pulldown menu (and remember to click on the cross references before scrolling!!!) in order to change databases.

If, for instance, I have the Thompson chain references open, often verses show up that aren't in any chain. So I want to see what the NAS links, etc. This takes time and mouse clicks. If there is a faster way it would be great.

As for opening extra windows, TSK, etc....

I hate screen clutter. I don't want a lot of windows floating around. Not my cup of tea...

Greg Ward
01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
They do? How do you set that to appear?

Sorry. The version cross-references (ESV, NAU, NIV, NKV) appear as Notes in the Word Analysis tab. However, they are just version footnotes, not hyperlinked references. :(

If, for instance, I have the Thompson chain references open, often verses show up that aren't in any chain. So I want to see what the NAS links, etc. This takes time and mouse clicks. If there is a faster way it would be great.

Where's that "mind reader that'll show me what I'm thinkin' " feature?----a much advanced "do what I say" key :D Even in BW7 you couldn't see more than one cross reference system at once (either the version references when moused-over that version in Browse Window or the TSK when mouse-over other English translations). With so many cross-reference options now, they chose to centralize them to the X-Ref tab.

Another option: the Resource Summary Window can display Thompson Chain-References for the current verse. When you're working on the cross-reference stage of your study, you could move it to the top of the Reference section and choose not to display any Lexicons and Grammars (see Help ch. 14)

Maybe you could suggest user made "X-Ref groups", especially for version based cross references, where the appropriate verison cross-references would display based on mouse-over similar to BW7. Or there might be a way to build your own cross-reference database as a compendium of all the other cross-reference databases. (But I haven't explored the 'make your own' cross-reference database feature yet.)

Don Johnson
01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry. The version cross-references (ESV, NAU, NIV, NKV) appear as Notes in the Word Analysis tab. However, they are just version footnotes, not hyperlinked references. :(

Yes, I figured out what you were talking about after I wrote earlier today. And, exactly, what I am missing is the ability to see the whole cross reference verse in the analysis window (and even to navigate from the analysis window to the cross reference in the browse window without changing focus, etc.)

Where's that "mind reader that'll show me what I'm thinkin' " feature?----a much advanced "do what I say" key :D

I'm sure Michael is working on that, maybe version, oh, 12, or 15 or so...

Another option: the Resource Summary Window can display Thompson Chain-References for the current verse. When you're working on the cross-reference stage of your study

!!! cross-reference stage !!! -- you have stages to your study??? What happened to ad hoc on the fly I want the answers NOW!!!

Maybe you could suggest user made "X-Ref groups", especially for version based cross references, where the appropriate verison cross-references would display based on mouse-over similar to BW7.

Actually, I think I would be happy if they could somehow hyperlink the notes for NAS, ESV just like the verse references are in the NET. That would be sufficient for me. Of course, I don't know how hard that would be for programming. I feel my job as a user is always to demand more! And of course settle for what we get...

dbaker2663
04-23-2009, 01:54 PM
If you're accustomed to the way that older versions had cross-references as pop-ups, here's a workaround for version 8.0:

1. Click on the X-Refs tab in the analysis window;
2. Right click within the tab and "Open new X-ref window"
3. Click on that new X-ref window and "options/view/show line of verse text"
4. Shrink that window and place it in some convenient point around your BW program. Mine is small enough that it covers up all of the tab labels in my analysis window (which I don't use) and rests atop that window.

The nice thing about "show line of verse text" is that each line of text acts as a pop-up.

Now I can get both the "Analysis" tab info AND the "Cross-Reference" tab info.

And that makes me happy.

Daniel Baker

Don Johnson
04-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks for that tip... My laptop is acting up on me, so as soon as I get it fixed I'll give it a try. Or I'll be forced to install the upgrade on my desktop... haven't got around to that yet.