PDA

View Full Version : BW8 on XP Partition of Mac

Richard Syed
01-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Is anyone else running BW8 on the Windows partition of a Mac?
I installed BW8 on the Windows XP partition of my iMac, replacing BW7 which had been on the same computer. One feature didn't work - the 'Send verse to Lexicon Browser' now always goes to TWOT. I then change to HALOT (from the Lexicon menu), but it then shows the whole HALOT lexicon open at the WTT word I originally clicked, and not just that verse. Previously (in BW7) it remembered what my previously used lexicon was and reverted straight to that; now it always goes to TWOT. I mentioned this on another thread, and the others said they had had no trouble. So I installed BW8 on my laptop (Windows XP) - and the feature worked correctly. That proves, I think, that it doesn't like being in a virtual operating system. But all other features are working correctly. It is still puzzling that BW7, in the same computer and partition, didn't have the problem.

I have Parallels. I wonder if VMWare Fusion would have the same effect? Or even Bootcamp (presumably that would not be virtual)?

I wouldn't expect the BW staff to help over a Mac problem - but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has found this. I may write to BW technical support about it some time.

jfidel
01-25-2009, 08:29 AM
After you go to the lexicon try clicking on the button with the dot and the down arrow before you go to the next lexicon and see if this helps. I am running BW 8 with Parallels 3 and not having any problems.

John Fidel

Richard Syed
01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that, but it still didn't work. I also tried clicking the button after the change as well as before, and that didn't work either. I too have Parallels 3. Very puzzling - the problem is not with the Mac partitionas such, but with my own computer: perhaps there's something else installed which is causing a conflict. It will be interesting to see if anyone else reports the same problem.

Richard Syed
01-26-2009, 08:36 AM
John,
Following up on the previous posts, which seemed to indicate a local problem, I uninstalled BW8, and then reinstalled. I'm happy to report that the problem is now fixed and I get HALOT as I used to in BW7. It's still puzzling why that particular fault shold have occurred - but it doesn't matter now. thank you for your help.

jfidel
01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I am glad you are up and running.