PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Browse Window

calvary
01-24-2009, 04:56 AM
Has anyone had any trouble with the secondary browse window not working properly? I have the 'Enable automatic secondary Browse Windows' option checked. But when I do a search, the secondary does engage, but if I click on the hits in the search window, the main browse window changes not the secondary one. Know what I mean? :)

Maybe there's something I haven't enabled somewhere. Already read through the help section (hopefully didn't miss something. I am getting old).

thanks,
Dave

FredGreco
01-24-2009, 05:51 PM
I am experiencing the exact same behavior. I seem to recall that this was not the case when I first started using BW8, so maybe it was an update that affected this.

To be clear:

when I have a secondary browse window open (whether by automatically open option, or after manually opening one)
and I run a search on a word (in either Hebrew, Greek or an English translation)
the secondary browse window takes on the text that was in my browse window (i.e. the verse that I word-searched from)
the primary browse window will change when I click on different results in the search window (i.e. the "hit" verses).

This is not how it is supposed to work, according to the help file:

Secondary Browse Windows

When you look up a word in the Browse Window by double-clicking on it in the Browse Window, the Command Center Results Verse list will display the resulting matches. If you click on one of these verses the Browse Window will switch to the verse. If you prefer you can instead have the new verse open up in a new Browse Window. This feature can be enabled by selecting View | Show/Hide | Secondary Browse Windows from the Main Menu. If Secondary Browse Windows are enabled, when you do a search in a Browse Window by double-clicking or by means of the context menus, a new Browse Window will open up automatically to display the results of the search. The next time you do a search from the original window,BibleWorks will remember that there is already a secondary window open to receive the results. If you do a search from an already existing secondary window, then a new third Browse Window will be opened to receive its results.BibleWorks will remember which window was used to open up each secondary window.

Mark Eddy
01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I think that what you have to do is click on the secondary browse window after it opens. If you do not click on the text area of the secondary browse window, the main browse window in BW remains active. Therefore the next command you give is executed in the main browse window. But if you click on the text in the secondary browse window, that window becomes the active window.
Mark Eddy

FredGreco
01-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I think that what you have to do is click on the secondary browse window after it opens. If you do not click on the text area of the secondary browse window, the main browse window in BW remains active. Therefore the next command you give is executed in the main browse window. But if you click on the text in the secondary browse window, that window becomes the active window.
Mark Eddy

No, that does not work. The Secondary Browse window remains static, making it basically useless. It does not change with the results of the search, and then when you close it, the Primary Browse window is not at the text where search began.

I don't recall the secondary browse window working that way, and can't imagine it would be a preferred behavior.

FredGreco
01-26-2009, 01:01 PM
I have sent a support email (I think) to Bibleworks. In case anyone knows how to fix it here, I will repeat it (with screenshots) to see if that makes it more clear:
==================================

I just confirmed by using a friend’s BW7 that the secondary browse behavior is “broken” in (at least my) BW8. In BW7, if I search on “Paul” in Acts 13:9, the secondary browse window pops up and then as you click on different verses that come from the search result in the Search window, the Primary Browse window stays on the initial verse (e.g. Acts 13:9) and the secondary window changes as you click on other verses (e.g., Acts 13:13, 13:16, etc.)

In BW8, the exact opposite happens. If I search on “Paul” in Acts 13:9, the secondary browse window pops up and both windows have the initial verse, Acts 13:9 (see image attachment bw1.png). But when I click on the second verse (Acts 13:13) the secondary window does not change, but the primary window does (see image attachment bw2.png). Same result for the third verse ((see image attachment bw3.png).

I don’t recall this happening when I first used BW8, and it is frustrating. What can be done to fix this?

calvary
01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
No, that does not work. The Secondary Browse window remains static, making it basically useless. It does not change with the results of the search, and then when you close it, the Primary Browse window is not at the text where search began.

I don't recall the secondary browse window working that way, and can't imagine it would be a preferred behavior.

Ditto, doesn't work for either. This is a glitch for sure. Version 7 didn't function this way.

Dave

FredGreco
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Any help on this at all? Are David and I the only ones experiencing this? Could someone else test the secondary browse window behavior? If I have to reinstall, that's fine, but this current behavior severely restricts my use of the jump search function.

Michael Hanel
01-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Any help on this at all? Are David and I the only ones experiencing this? Could someone else test the secondary browse window behavior? If I have to reinstall, that's fine, but this current behavior severely restricts my use of the jump search function.

I never used this secondary browse window upon search feature in BW7, so if you said that it worked as you've said in 7, I guess that's true, but I can't compare behavior. However, in BW8, mine is working just like you described. If you click on the Search Results list, it changes the primary browse window, not the secondary one.

One thing I'm intrigued by though is that you said you thought it *did* work at first in BW8? Can you go back to the earlier versions (through the Restore feature) to a version where it did work? If you can do that, maybe it'd be easier for them to see what changed in the code if anything did.

FredGreco
01-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Michael,

I can't get the behavior to reproduce in my oldest checkpoint (which is 8.0.005e). Maybe David can shed some additional light.

I can say that I don't know why the behavior would have intentionally changed from what it was in BW7 to BW8. The BW8 behavior makes a secondary browse window nearly useless.

calvary
01-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Michael,

I can't get the behavior to reproduce in my oldest checkpoint (which is 8.0.005e). Maybe David can shed some additional light.

I can say that I don't know why the behavior would have intentionally changed from what it was in BW7 to BW8. The BW8 behavior makes a secondary browse window nearly useless.

I don't recall it working when first set up. Sure is missed though. :)

David

Greg Ward
01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Also, I have not been a user of the Secondary Browse Window. I've used different search tabs--one for my primary passage and another one for searches. I'm just trying help verify the behavior from Fred's posts #2 and #5 above.

My furthest back checkpoint at 8.0.005s1 mimics the behavior Fred has described above, as well as 8.0.006a1 and 8.0.006e1. Seems like a pointer got confused in the code.

It took me reading the Help file description above several times to realize that the auto open secondary Browse Window only works on a double-click word search (not on Command Line searches).

Also, the Help file describes that a double-click word search in the Secondary Browse Window should open a 'tertiary' Browse Window. In 8.0.006e1 (only place I tested), it does create another Secondary Browse Window (tertiary), but again puts search results focus to the primary Browse Window.

Fred, try to put in a service request. You've done a great job documenting. Hopefully they can fix it easily and quickly.:)

Question to Secondary Browse Window Users: What about the reversal of the Primary and Secondary Browse Window functions inhibits how you use BW? (I ask, for my learning, to understand how you use these windows in your study process. )

Thanks.

Adamsen
01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I have sent a support email (I think) to Bibleworks. In case anyone knows how to fix it here, I will repeat it (with screenshots) to see if that makes it more clear:
==================================

I just confirmed by using a friend’s BW7 that the secondary browse behavior is “broken” in (at least my) BW8. In BW7, if I search on “Paul” in Acts 13:9, the secondary browse window pops up and then as you click on different verses that come from the search result in the Search window, the Primary Browse window stays on the initial verse (e.g. Acts 13:9) and the secondary window changes as you click on other verses (e.g., Acts 13:13, 13:16, etc.)

In BW8, the exact opposite happens. If I search on “Paul” in Acts 13:9, the secondary browse window pops up and both windows have the initial verse, Acts 13:9 (see image attachment bw1.png). But when I click on the second verse (Acts 13:13) the secondary window does not change, but the primary window does (see image attachment bw2.png). Same result for the third verse ((see image attachment bw3.png).

I don’t recall this happening when I first used BW8, and it is frustrating. What can be done to fix this?

I can only repeat this, if I do not click on the secondary results window so it receives focus. If I do indeed do that, the verse list controls the secondary results window; if I don't, it controls the primary results window on my system. This is the way it used to be in earlier versions, to the best of my recollection. (Usually, I have not enabled the Show Secondary Results Windows; I checked with Act 13:9 and some searches in Genesis).

However, a couple of times, I did see a secondary results window that looked unusual, but I have not been able to reproduce it.

Perhaps the problem is caused by a certain configuration; in order for the programmers to solve the issue, they will need more information, including the bw800.ini and perhaps also the information gathered by the System Information function in the About BibleWorks.

FredGreco
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Question to Secondary Browse Window Users: What about the reversal of the Primary and Secondary Browse Window functions inhibits how you use BW? (I ask, for my learning, to understand how you use these windows in your study process. )

Thanks.

Greg,

What it does for me is this: when I am studying a passage, I may want to see quickly where a word is also used in the Bible. I don't want to go on a complete sidetrack, to a new tab, etc. For example, I was looking at 2 Kings 10 last week in sermon prep. I want to see where else in the Bible Jehu is mentioned. So I do a quick double click on his name. The search results give me all the places.

Say I want to see the text of Hosea 1:4. If it opens in a secondary browse window, I can look at all the verses, and even change the browse mode to see the whole context (normally my primary browse window has various languages for a single verse, ESV, NASB, NKJ, WTT, and LXX for example). I can view all of this, and when I am done, all I have to do is close the secondary browse window. I don't have to "reset" the primary browse window to where I was. Also, as I am looking at the text of the search results in the secondary browse, I can compare it to the various language texts in the primary (to see whether the same Greek or Hebrew word is used for an English word I double clicked).

What I can't understand is what anyone would use a double click search to open a static window that never changes, and have their primary window change from where they were. Makes no sense to me - especially since BW7 did not have that odd behavior.

I did put in a support request on Monday, but have not heard anything, even if it was received. My guess is that it is backlogged, and I was hoping someone here could answer, or show that the problem was my config.

Greg Ward
01-28-2009, 09:12 PM
FredGreco, thanks for your description of your use of the Secondary Browse Window. I was afraid of having another window that would hang around. I'll try using it (when its function is repaired).

MBushell
01-29-2009, 01:21 AM
I posted an executable update which will address some of these issues. You should be able to activate a secondary window for output by clicking on it. The old BW7 feature automatically openg a secondary window on searches is gone. The removal was part of a rework of the results verse list. But the most important BW7 functionality should be back.

Mike

calvary
01-29-2009, 01:33 AM
I posted an executable update which will address some of these issues. You should be able to activate a secondary window for output by clicking on it. The old BW7 feature automatically openg a secondary window on searches is gone. The removal was part of a rework of the results verse list. But the most important BW7 functionality should be back.

Mike

Mike, does this mean that if I run a search, and the secondary results window pops up (which it does), and I click on it, and then begin clicking the verses in the results window, that the secondary window will change to the verse I click on, and not the the main browse window? Just want to make I sure I understand the intention of the secondary browse window.

I ran the update, and the secondary browse window still behaves the same way as before; this is why I'm asking.

Thank you Mike,

Dave

calvary
01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Maybe you could just put an option to turn on that function if people want it. I know for me personally, the ability to have that secondary window move with the searches enables me to keep the main browse window on the main passage I'm focusing on in my studies.

Thanks again for all you do,
Dave

MBushell
01-29-2009, 02:45 AM
Mike, does this mean that if I run a search, and the secondary results window pops up (which it does), and I click on it, and then begin clicking the verses in the results window, that the secondary window will change to the verse I click on, and not the the main browse window? Just want to make I sure I understand the intention of the secondary browse window.

I ran the update, and the secondary browse window still behaves the same way as before; this is why I'm asking.

Thank you Mike,

Dave

You have to click on the Secondary Window to activate it. Clicking on the results list should send the results to the last-clicked browse window (except for the new tab browse window, which is synched to the main browse window).

Mike

Greg Ward
01-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Just clicking on the window edge or header did not activate it for the Search List. I had to click on Secondary Browse Window contents to place a cursor in the window, then the Search List results would go there. GW

calvary
01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Aah... Greg is right. I was clicking on the header. Clicking on the text works. Problem solved for me. As we say in VA (well, some of us do), YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA :D

Dave

SCSaunders
01-30-2009, 06:53 AM
Aah... Greg is right. I was clicking on the header. Clicking on the text works. Problem solved for me. As we say in VA (well, some of us do), YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA :D And others of us in the land of VA (those near Hell's half acre, the Springfield Interchange) say, "I don't feel tardy." (D.L. Roth, circa 1984)

Dave, I was just checking out your website. Very cool. I never made the connection before to "The [monadic use]" Calvary Chapel. I have the utmost respect for Chuck Smith and how God has populated the planet with Calvary Chapel churches. A true diaspora in a great sense.

I use to live about 25 minutes from Chuck's Maranatha Village. Good book store. Almost went to his seminary instead of DTS.

I would of added his sermons page to the thread we got going on "Great Bible Teaching," but all the links are broken on his CSN page. As another Calvary pastor (Danny Bond) once said, "You cut Chuck and he bleeds bibline.").

I'm sure you and your wife work very hard at your Manassas church. I'm adding you to my daily prayer list.

Chow

FredGreco
02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
This has been completely fixed by the latest update.

Thank you very much, Bibleworks staff! Now the automatic secondary browse window is back to BW7 behavior.