PDA

View Full Version : Initial problems with BW8

MBD
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Looks good but..
1. I have tried so many times to register on line and nothing sticks.:mad:
2. I cannot get any options to stick either. So I change font sizes, versions, reordered them, etc. And when I restarted the progfram they were all back to default, including some very undesired Bible Commentary that keeps popping up in teh analysis window.

Michael Hanel
01-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Looks good but..
2. I cannot get any options to stick either. So I change font sizes, versions, reordered them, etc. And when I restarted the progfram they were all back to default, including some very undesired Bible Commentary that keeps popping up in teh analysis window.

No idea. You can try double clicking the BW8 icon when starting while holding the SHIFT key and re-initialize the INI file. It sounds like something got corrupted somewhere. If settings still don't save after this, I'd have to call in the reserves to sort it out.

SkipB
01-19-2009, 04:23 PM
It should be the default setting, but...
Under shutdown in the options window be sure that "save setup options on exit" is checked. Many times the most baffling problems I have had involved an option that I assumed was set, but it needed resetting. Here's hoping it's something simple.

MBushell
01-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Looks good but..

I've gotten a couple of anecdotal reports of this happening but nothing from tech support in the way of an actual bug report. They are pretty busy and two guys are out now with the flu (at a kinda bad time I guess).

The changes were saved fine in beta testing and on my system now. If none of the other suggestions here help send me your bw800.ini file and I'll take a look. But others please don't send me unsolicited messages (unless you know me, are a beta tester, or have permission). I'm a programmer and we pay guys to do support. I'm trying to interact more with the forum, but I can do that only if it remains on the form unless I take it off.

One other thing that you should remember is that most setup window changes are not kep unless you click on the OK button. Closing the setup window by clicking on the x button in the upper right hand corner is equivalent to cancel, and many changes will be lost. In any case, send me that INI file and I'll take a look.

Mike

bshauger
01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
MBD:
Your first issue - you say when you register nothing sticks - could you explain this a little?

Are you running under XP or Vista? Is this an upgrade or the first time ever that you installed BW8?

MBD
01-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I am sending you my BW.ini file which seems impervious to any of my changes. I have tried to change type size, versions, etc. I have clicked OK after each change and I have clicked the change ini file on exit box. I also am not sure I am registered. I don't see that box as often, but BW8 still initializes (or whatever) all the different versions each time it starts up. I am running BW8 on a XP machine. Also when I looked up my ini file I was surprised to see so many versions of BW800.exe files. Is that normal? I have a BW800bak.exe, BW800lg.exe (on 1/19 the other 1/20).

I've gotten a couple of anecdotal reports of this happening but nothing from tech support in the way of an actual bug report. They are pretty busy and two guys are out now with the flu (at a kinda bad time I guess).

The changes were saved fine in beta testing and on my system now. If none of the other suggestions here help send me your bw800.ini file and I'll take a look. But others please don't send me unsolicited messages (unless you know me, are a beta tester, or have permission). I'm a programmer and we pay guys to do support. I'm trying to interact more with the forum, but I can do that only if it remains on the form unless I take it off.

One other thing that you should remember is that most setup window changes are not kep unless you click on the OK button. Closing the setup window by clicking on the x button in the upper right hand corner is equivalent to cancel, and many changes will be lost. In any case, send me that INI file and I'll take a look.

Mike

MBD
01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Still no reply to my persisting problem from members or staff, who must be deluged. I still do not seem to be able to change the ini file. (I use XP) So BW8 does not recognize my registration, won't save versions I choose, or save type size. I still get Bagster's Daily Tips no matter what I do.

Adamsen
01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Still no reply to my persisting problem from members or staff, who must be deluged. I still do not seem to be able to change the ini file. (I use XP) So BW8 does not recognize my registration, won't save versions I choose, or save type size. I still get Bagster's Daily Tips no matter what I do.

Are you able to change the bw800.ini file manually? I.e. can you open it in Notepad or something like that, change, e.g. the value for Dir_Notes? Remember to backup the ini-file first, and restore it as soon as you have checked whether you can do it or not.

If you cannot do it, check whether the ini file is write-protected.

It is not likely that this or something like this is the problem, but try it nevertheless.

MBushell
01-28-2009, 07:45 PM
MBD,

If you can send me your INI file privately, I will see if I can help. I could not use the INI file that you posted here. It has spaces interspersed in some weird places.

I also need to know exactly what you have changed that isn't being restored. The INI file is clearly being saved because you sent me one.

Thanks,
Mike

MBD
01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I tried to send you a private message but the system would not allow me. My e-mail address is DICK@SIENA.EDU. I shall send you the ini file in return. BTW, which ini file? In the folder there seem to be several. Only one BW08, I believe. I am trying to change the following:

1. Change all the fonts to a larger size (I am getting old)
2. Set up my versions to display and their display order.
3. Drop some of the commentaries that appear in the analysis window (e.g. Matthew Henry notes and Bagster's daily tips).
4. Choose which Greek lexica to display.
5. Register the program