PDA

View Full Version : Granville Sharp rule

docroc7
01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
In BW8 when going to the Graphical Search Engine I open the grnvshrp.qf file which I presume is the Granville Sharp rule. When this file is activated it brings up many verses but surprisingly not John 1:1. If the *.qf file is not correct would someone post a formula or graphic that is correct? Thanks for any assistance.

Steve Watkins
01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
In BW8 when going to the Graphical Search Engine I open the grnvshrp.qf file which I presume is the Granville Sharp rule. When this file is activated it brings up many verses but surprisingly not John 1:1. If the *.qf file is not correct would someone post a formula or graphic that is correct? Thanks for any assistance.

John 1:1 is subject to Colwell's Canon, not Granville Sharp's rule. Colwell's Canon refers to constructions involving anarthrous pre-verbal predicate nominatives. (kai. qeo.j h=n o` lo,goj)

I'm not sure if there's a .qf file for Colwell's Canon or not, but I seem to remember someone making one, and posting it on Michael Hanel's blog...

Michael Hanel
01-15-2009, 10:38 PM
John 1:1 is subject to Colwell's Canon, not Granville Sharp's rule. Colwell's Canon refers to constructions involving anarthrous pre-verbal predicate nominatives. (kai. qeo.j h=n o` lo,goj)

I'm not sure if there's a .qf file for Colwell's Canon or not, but I seem to remember someone making one, and posting it on Michael Hanel's blog...

Looks like we have a copy at this link (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=214). Scroll down a bit to the one on Colwell's Rule.

Steve Watkins
01-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Looks like we have a copy at this link (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?page_id=214). Scroll down a bit to the one on Colwell's Rule.

Nice. Thanks Michael!

(The .qf files can be downloaded and placed in the Bibleworks 8/ase folder)

Gospelizer
01-16-2009, 10:23 AM

Wallace has a good discussion on this beginning on p. 255.

docroc7
01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
All of your responses were most helpful. Thanks for the assists!