PDA

View Full Version : Bolding Text Reference

Faithful
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Bolding Text Reference I have a question. In BW7 when I highlighted text to copy and then pasted it into a word document it placed the reference at the beginning of the text and pasted the reference as bold. In BW8 I cannot seem to figure out how to make this the standard way of a copy and paste result. I have gone to Tools/Options/Verse List or Range and under Reference Format set it up like this < b >< book > < chapter >:< verse >< /b > and I also have the Check Box checked that says; Place Reference Before Text. I am not sure what I am doing wrong at this point and any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Faithful
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
To be honest I somehow expected on a Bible search software forum that people would be very helpful to others that may not understand the program as well as others do.

No, I am not in any way trying to make anyone feel guilty; Romans 8:1 is freeing from that after all. :)

I am simply pointing out as a person that rarely comes here and risked being part of this community, it was not too welcoming.

I will now go back to my lurking and seldom surfing here, and figure it out the best I am able.

Take care, and please, greet the next person that comes along, and make him or her feel welcome to your community.

Peace

Mark Eddy
01-15-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure what makes you think the list is "unwelcoming." But most of us have full-time callings as pastors, professors, and students. Most of the "regulars" on this list are probably just opening their own copies of BW8 and dealing with the differences between it and BW7. So they don't have much time to check the list and see what questions others have. Don't feel bad if nobody on the list is an expert in the question you have, and checks the list every day. You have only had to wait one day. I'm sure that anyone who reads your post will be sorry that you aren't happy with the results.
Now to your specific question:
Under "Options" and "Output Format Options" choose "Selected Browse Text". In the "Output Format Options" column be sure to check the box in front of "Place reference before text," and uncheck "Place reference after text". That should give you something close to what you want. BW8 by default adds the version to the reference. If you do not want it, you have to remove <reference> on the "Reference Format" line. If you want to make the reference bold you need to type <b> at the beginning of the "Reference Format" line. On my computer this produces what you want.
Perhaps your problem is adding spaces in < b >. You also don't need </b> at the end.
You may notice that at the top right of the "Selecte Browse Text" option window there is a line entitled "Favorite Settings for Browse Window Copy Menu". In a drop-down list you will see 4 pre-named settings for copying. If you make a change, the change applies only to the setting whose name appears in this line. So, if you change to a different setting (or make up a new one in place of the "Undefined" headings, you will want to check to make sure that each of the settings is the way you want it. If you change one setting and then switch to another setting, you will not see the changes you made.
In beta testing I was the only one who seemed to have problems with the copy window working as advertised. The programmers tried hard to find out why my one computer has this problem (my desk top computer works fine). It may be that your computer and mine have something in common which is causing a problem. If so, I'm sure the programmers will look into it further. They really do a great job of working until they get it right.
Blessings from Christ,
Mark Eddy

Steve Watkins
01-15-2009, 09:39 PM
... I have gone to Tools/Options/Verse List or Range and under Reference Format set it up like this < b >< book > < chapter >:< verse >< /b > ...

You've got the tags correct, but you are making the changes to the wrong options page. Try using your same formatting under Tools/Options/Selected Browse Text. This will apply your formatting to the references of any text that you copy and paste out of the browse window. Should work, it does for me.

To be honest I somehow expected on a Bible search software forum that people would be very helpful to others that may not understand the program as well as others do.

No, I am not in any way trying to make anyone feel guilty; Romans 8:1 is freeing from that after all. :)

I am simply pointing out as a person that rarely comes here and risked being part of this community, it was not too welcoming.

I will now go back to my lurking and seldom surfing here, and figure it out the best I am able.

Take care, and please, greet the next person that comes along, and make him or her feel welcome to your community.

Peace

I think that it is gratuitous and uncharitable to assume that people were unresponsive to your request for help because they were unwelcoming or unkind.

Normally, having to wait for a reply simply means that people don't yet know the answer to your question, especially as BW8 is brand new, people are still exploring it for themselves, and many don't even have it yet. If we don't know the answer, we follow the protocol of not clogging up the boards with dozens of "I don't know the answer" posts. We simply wait for someone with the knowledge to chime in. If someone knows an answer, they will share it like Mark did. You might need to wait a few days - that's not unheard of. But reading through some of the myriad of past posts will confirm the typically gracious, helpful, an brotherly spirit of the users of these boards.

Don't forget to let love believe all things.

Michael Hanel
01-15-2009, 11:55 PM

Peace

Currently I'm the most prolific person on these forums, but I'm seldom really that helpful to most questions. I generally don't go out of my way to try to trouble shoot someone's problem. If someone's problem or question matches with something I know a lot about or a feature I use often, I often chime in. Otherwise, I defer. I'm currently a PhD student in Classics taking 4 classes, teaching one and serving a local church as an assistant pastor. I figure someone else will have more 5 minutes to spare than I do. Plus some people get tired of seeing me reply to every post ;)

But back in the day (when this forum was on "topica"), I was a lurker like you. Sometimes I posed questions and no one answered. I felt a little bit dejected since other ppl were asking questions that got answered. Sometimes it's not you who asks the question, so don't take it too personally. Sometimes people don't understand the question asked. Sometimes the question asked don't concern others, so they don't bother w them. Sometimes people just get lazy like me, thinking someone else will answer, but almost always is there no widespread conspiracy not to welcome new people or answer their questions.

So lurk if you want, try emailing people privately, contact the official tech support (although probably right now this is not your best option). Sometimes you may have to be more assertive than you'd think you'd have to be, but eventually you'll probably get to the bottom of your issue. Remember you didn't buy us when you bought BibleWorks 8. We're a bonus ;) So if we do a really bad job, you're not out anything. Except maybe, we're just jerks. But I hope not.

SkipB
01-16-2009, 10:49 AM
I like to have references bold sometimes. I tried adding the tags <b> and </b> to the reference string on the options page by typing and it did not work. However when I entered those tags using the drop down menu right above it... I got bolded reference.

Ben Spackman
01-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I hang out a good bit and try to be helpful here but... I don't have version 8. In this case, I had nothing to offer.

SCSaunders
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM

PeaceYou joined September 2004 and in the years since then this is the conclusion you've come to? Honestly, I don't know what board you're talking about.

Michael summarized well the way it is for many of us. Perfectly, actually, in my opinion. Go check Ben's posts - helpful, helpful, helpful. I could list many more names, but I have a life. I'm busy.

My advice, four posts is not enough to draw this conclusion. Also, get a little bit thicker skin. I mean that in all sincerity. On other "Christian" boards, you'd better be wearing a cup of you want to jump in and discuss.

Scott

Faithful
01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
OK guys point taken.

I will respond to a few points, and then stop.

I simply held high expectations of those that were using this program and I know from other sites, being welcomed is always nice.

I know people are busy, but that only goes so far, because everyone is busy, but we always find time for what we consider important.

I agree the community is a bonus and free, I just expected too much.

I do have think skin, although it may not seem so. Once again, I expected too much.

I am in no way perfect, but I honestly tried to be to the point and polite at the same time. This is not always an easy task.

So, please forgive me if I wrongly offended anyone and although I will still be very infrequent here I will not post such a message again.
__________________________________________________ _____________

I do want to throw out a few thoughts regarding my post and the overall connection to it.

I have read many posts here over the years and it can be intimidating when you read how people use this program when I know I am only at the bottom level of using it to its potential. You all are likely much smarter at this than myself and so I wrote when I absolutely needed to as I saw it.

It should not take a post like mine to get a response and answer within minutes after writing it. By the way, Thank you again Mark for your help as I was totally lost.

Moved over into church life, it is better to stop for a moment, even when in a hurry and say, hello, to a newcomer and if I cannot help someone will be along that can.

That's about it and once again; Thank you to each for your responses and the overall grace shown.

Mark

SCSaunders
01-17-2009, 08:52 AM
No biggie. Very glad to see you back.

I have read many posts here over the years and it can be intimidating when you read how people use this program when I know I am only at the bottom level of using it to its potential. You all are likely much smarter at this than myself and so I wrote when I absolutely needed to as I saw it.Give it time. A generously fair amount of time. Quite frankly, I feel the same way toward some of the brilliant minds on this forum.

It should not take a post like mine to get a response and answer within minutes after writing it. By the way, Thank you again Mark for your help as I was totally lost.The response times is often a "luck of the draw thing." You post when someone is currently on line and knows your answer. Luck of the draw.

Moved over into church life, it is better to stop for a moment, even when in a hurry and say, hello, to a newcomer and if I cannot help someone will be along that can.Nobody is perfect, nor omnipresent, nor omnipotent, and so forth. We each do what we can. Thank God there is a body made up of parts, many, many parts. So, there is a division of labor.

Keep coming back. In time, you'll be answering questions. I'll be learning some cool things I never saw in the software before, from you.

P.S. Skip's pictures are worth a thousand words.

David Kummerow
01-21-2009, 01:02 AM
I wish I had BW 8 to even find out what your issue is. But since I don't have a job, I can't convince my wife that we should spend some money on a BW upgrade...

Hope you find an answer to your issue.

Regards,
David.