PDA

View Full Version : Abbott-Smith Manual Lexicon as BW user module?

Philip Brown
01-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Google has digitized Abbott-Smith's A Manual Lexicon of the Greek NT which, while a bit out of date with regard to its greek entries, still has valuable information about LXX usage of NT words.

Anybody know how to get a .pdf into a BW user-module format?

Sansom48
01-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Google has digitized Abbott-Smith's A Manual Lexicon of the Greek NT which, while a bit out of date with regard to its greek entries, still has valuable information about LXX usage of NT words.

Anybody know how to get a .pdf into a BW user-module format?

You are in the wrong forum, if you go back out to the main page you will see just underneath this general Bibleworks discussion, one on User created modules. There you will find more answers. However, just to give you a going start I know that (at least in BW7) that the help files tell a lot on how to do what you are asking for. I would supply a link or something but am not that technologically inclined as some of the others. I also know that you can visit the unofficial Bibleworks blog here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/) for more assistance. sorry I can't be of more assistance.

jdarlack
01-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I'd love to see Smith's lexicon in BW as well (for the sake of the LXX stuff), but for it to work, you'd have to get it digitized and run through an OCR program and finally edited and formatted. That would take QUITE A BIT of time and expense! If there's enough demand, however, perhaps BW would be willing to do this... This is a big IF though!

SUBMIT THE IDEA! (http://www.bibleworks.com/ideas.html)

Sansom48
01-14-2009, 10:58 AM
I'd love to see Smith's lexicon in BW as well (for the sake of the LXX stuff), but for it to work, you'd have to get it digitized and run through an OCR program and finally edited and formatted. That would take QUITE A BIT of time and expense! If there's enough demand, however, perhaps BW would be willing to do this... This is a big IF though!

SUBMIT THE IDEA! (http://www.bibleworks.com/ideas.html)

Although, I don't have one, I understand what an OCR program is and does. Here you mention a lot of editing and formatting, does an OCR program not pick up on the Greek Fonts (I only ask because I have thought about purchasing one when or if I ever know enough to do what is described above.)

Michael Hanel
01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Although, I don't have one, I understand what an OCR program is and does. Here you mention a lot of editing and formatting, does an OCR program not pick up on the Greek Fonts (I only ask because I have thought about purchasing one when or if I ever know enough to do what is described above.)

Different programs pick up scanned material with different levels of accuracy, depending a lot on the quality of the material which is scanned initially. However, even if you had perfect images to scan for Abbott (which isn't the case), the OCR programs would still have a devil of a time with all the languages together. Character recognition is hard enough in one language, let alone Greek, Hebrew and English together. That said, some programs do boast that they are better at doing this than others, but again I think their boasts are only meaningful under "optimum" conditions. Then the real question is whether it's better from a matter of resources to spend time OCRing and then correcting a text or just typing it all by hand.

Sansom48
01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Different programs pick up scanned material with different levels of accuracy, depending a lot on the quality of the material which is scanned initially. However, even if you had perfect images to scan for Abbott (which isn't the case), the OCR programs would still have a devil of a time with all the languages together. Character recognition is hard enough in one language, let alone Greek, Hebrew and English together. That said, some programs do boast that they are better at doing this than others, but again I think their boasts are only meaningful under "optimum" conditions. Then the real question is whether it's better from a matter of resources to spend time OCRing and then correcting a text or just typing it all by hand.

Thank You, this helps my understanding of OCR programs. I thought they were better than that, but will admit that I have not been looking at them to closely because I need time and money to get involved with those kinds of things which at the present I simply do not have.

MGVH
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Just saw that you got your 500th post, Jim! hodos elthein!

jdarlack
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks! Though my measly 500 is nothing compared to the 1,000+ posts of my co-conspirator, Michael Hanel!

I like the "hodos elthein"!

Michael Hanel
01-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks! Though my measly 500 is nothing compared to the 1,000+ posts of my co-conspirator, Michael Hanel!

I like the "hodos elthein"!

It just shows you take your vocations more seriously than I do ;)