PDA

View Full Version : BW8: Screen Layout option gone

ingosorke
01-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks to the BW team for making Version 8 available!

Two issues, one major, one minor:

1) In BW8 I miss the View -- Screen Layout option from BW7. Now my travel distance from Command Line to the little arrows @ top right of the Browse Window is several inches -- they're too far apart. Poor workflow. In BW7, I had my layout with the Command Line on the right, so that I could type a reference and change verses via up/down arrows quickly, without much mouse travel. Very convenient, but I can't arrange my windows in BW8 that way. I'll work on screen shots if it's not clear.

2) ZUR (new Zürcher update) is missing part of Rev 14:7; anybody else to verify this?

Thanks,
Ingo

SCSaunders
01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
1) In BW8 I miss the View -- Screen Layout option from BW7. Now my travel distance from Command Line to the little arrows @ top right of the Browse Window is several inches -- they're too far apart. Poor workflow. In BW7, I had my layout with the Command Line on the right, so that I could type a reference and change verses via up/down arrows quickly, without much mouse travel. ....Hey Ingo,

I don't know if this will help, but what I do is:

F2 moves my cursor to the command line
F4 moves it to the browse window

Once in the browse window I use my keyboard's up/down arrows, or even faster, my mouse's scroll wheel.

Is this anywhere in the neighborhood of what you are asking?

Wesley
01-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Ingo,

While I do not have Bibleworks 8 or use your layout I can see what you mean. Why not use Ctrl+ up/down arrows to move from verse to verse in the browse window instead of using your mouse. I am finding myself using keyboard short cuts a lot more and finding them quicker than using the mouse. I hope this is of some help.

Wesley

SCSaunders
01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Why not use Ctrl+ up/down arrows to move from verse to verse in the browse window instead of using your mouse.Way cool bro! That's nice!

Also, a thought occurred to me after posting above, with regard to keystroke short cuts ....

F2 moves to command line
(e.g.) Mark 1 1 in command line moves to Mark 1:1
Then, once in Mark [or whatever book] use command line chapter and verse abbreviations like ...

2 1 moves to 2:1
11 5 moves to 11:5
4 moves to verse four of whatever chapter you're in
5 ditto
12 ditto

Again, just some keystroke short cuts that I learned from a BW training video.

Wesley, thanks again. I like that even better than the F4 keyboard short cut. Economy is King.

Scott

ingosorke
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Good responses. I use the 2 1; 3 2 method a lot to change texts. ctrl-arrow up/down is a good work around but involves both hands (ctrl+xyz reminds of a Mac move!)

In BW7, with a trackpad (instead of a mouse) I could change verses without ever moving my hand from keyboard or trackpad.

Ingo

MGVH
01-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Click anywhere in the Browse window.
Hit CTRL-SHIFT-(Up Arrow)
You should see in the bottom right that doing this toggles between: Scroll Mode off > Scroll Mode in Non-Synch Mode (in relation to other open Browse windows) > Scroll Mode in Synch Mode.

In either of the latter two modes, now you only need to use the up/down arrow keys (instead of CTRL-arrow) to move up/down by verse

SCSaunders
01-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Click anywhere in the Browse window.
Hit CTRL-SHIFT-(Up Arrow)
You should see in the bottom right that doing this toggles between: Scroll Mode off > Scroll Mode in Non-Synch Mode (in relation to other open Browse windows) > Scroll Mode in Synch Mode.

In either of the latter two modes, now you only need to use the up/down arrow keys (instead of CTRL-arrow) to move up/down by verseThat's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks MGVH.

ingosorke
01-13-2009, 04:45 PM
After all these years with BW, I didn't know that, Mark. Thanks!

In the absence of the Screen Layout manipulation, still have to move my hand though . . .

Ingo

Gospelizer
01-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Wow, Mark! One of the coolest helps I have seen. I have been with BW since 3.0, and I never knew that trick! There were many times through the years I know I could have used that little trick.

Thanks!

Mark Eddy
01-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks to the BW team for making Version 8 available!

Two issues, one major, one minor:

2) ZUR (new Zürcher update) is missing part of Rev 14:7; anybody else to verify this?
Ingo
Yes, I can verify this. Actually the problem is more extensive than this one verse. Verses 7, 8, 13, 15 are missing everything after the colon. The same problem occurs in Rev 18:2 and 21:3. I stopped looking after this. Apparently quotations after colons within a single verse are not displaying. I have reported this to the programmers.
Mark Eddy