PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Bible

Richard Syed
01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Further to my two earlier messages of 24 Dec 07 and 1 Jan 09 pointing out errors in Zechariah 5:6 and 8:5 in TUR in BW7: I see they are still there in BW8. I've also stumbled on another - in Matthew 1:1 TUR has joined MAT 1:1 and 1:2 into MAT 1:1, thus leaving Mat 1:2 empty. I recall some years ago seeing that database misprints etc. like this ought to be sent to some different address, not the forums, but I can't remember where.

Mark Eddy
01-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Dear Richard,
Do you know that in the printed edition of the Turkish Bible Matthew 1:2 is a separate verse? Some translations use different word order from the Greek, and so they include parts of two (or more) different verses in one "verse" of the translation. So it may be intentional that Matthew 1:2 is included in Matthew 1:1 in the TUR Bible in BibleWorks. If you are sure that this translation really divides these words into two verses, then we can proceed to the next step of officially notifying the company. Right now with the new version coming out, I am sure that they will not be correcting database errors for a few weeks or months.
In any case, BibleWorks already displays TUR Matthew 1:1 with both Matt. 1:1 and Matt. 1:2 of the Greek versions, so this should not cause you any problems.
Mark Eddy

Richard Syed
01-14-2009, 03:30 AM
No, I don't have a copy of the printed Turkish Bible, but two things seem odd to me: if you look at the browse box toggled to full display, verse 2 is empty. Secondly that I couldn't see that any other translations or texts divide the verses that way (I could be wrong - I haven't looked at them all).

Richard Syed
01-14-2009, 03:42 AM
And yes,you are right, we do have all the words of Mat 1:2 and nothing is lost , and it could be (as I think you are suggesting) that the print layout has deliberately put the 'heading' (v.1) joined to v.2. Unlike the two refs. in Zechariah where text is actually missing. Does any reader of this thread have the printed text to confirm it? But it would still be better (wouldn't it?) if standard verse divisions were kept when there is no good reason not to, for easy comparison with the rest. It leaves me wondering how carefully the translation was proof-read (these are just three thngs I have stumbled on by accident - not the result of a serious search)

Richard Syed
01-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Zechariah 10.3; Önderleri*fk* - [='their leaders'] I wonder what that *fk* is? It rather looks as though there were originally footnotes in the text that haven't come over.

Greg Ward
01-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Richard,
The BW staff don't promise to read everything on the forums. The same people who handle all the service requests right now are probably the same ones who first handle the database error reports. But I would send any confirmed errors to dberrors@bibleworks.com
(see http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3022)

Also, BW may or may not have a print version of the Turkish Bible you are correcting. They probably processed an electronic file they received (see the copyright notice for that version). BW could have introduced an error in processing the file into BW format. They will fix those :). Or the error could have been in the file they received. Some copyright holders will not allow them to change (or even 'correct') the original file :(.

I'm sure others will be glad for your sharp eye in noticing the details.

Mark Eddy
01-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Zechariah 10.3; Önderleri*fk* - [='their leaders'] I wonder what that *fk* is? It rather looks as though there were originally footnotes in the text that haven't come over.
I have reported this sort of formatting problem to the database errors e-mail address, so you don't have to do it. Apparently you are correct that footnotes are planned, but not in BibleWorks. The notes begin fa, fb, fc, etc. through the alphabet and start over 44 times. So we'll have to let the staff either find the footnotes or delete these indicators (they also throw off the search results).
I also found out that it is quite common for TUR to combine verses and then leave a blank verse. (A number of other more contemporary versions, especially those which resort to paraphrase, also skip verses like this.) So your previous post about Mat 1:1-2 appears not to be an error but intentional.
Mark Eddy

Jim Wert
01-17-2009, 10:24 PM
The TUR version has a very large Verse Mapping File, which maps the version's verse numbers to BibleWorks standard verse numbering. You can look at the raw file -- Program Files/BibleWorks 8/databases/TUR.vmf using Notepad, or you can see the formatted one in BW by setting your search version to TUR, then Tools/Options/Bible Versions/Verse Maps.