PDA

View Full Version : Prior Unlock Code?

Eric
01-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Anyone have a problem with a previously purchased unlock code? My BDAG unlock code that I've used since BW5 or BW6 has too many characters. I sent an email to BW about it, but wondered if anyone else had this problem.

My unlock code has this format XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
while Version 8 wants 5 sets of just 4 characters.

Steve Watkins
01-11-2009, 01:53 AM
Anyone have a problem with a previously purchased unlock code? My BDAG unlock code that I've used since BW5 or BW6 has too many characters. I sent an email to BW about it, but wondered if anyone else had this problem.

My unlock code has this format XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
while Version 8 wants 5 sets of just 4 characters.

Yep, v.8 uses different unlock codes for your previously purchased modules. I got an email from BibleWorks prior to receiving my shipment, with updated codes for all my modules. Did you not get an email like this?

calvary
01-11-2009, 02:03 AM
I also received an email with updated codes.

Dave

Eric
01-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Yes, I did get the email but it did not include my BDAG - just the unlocks that were included in BW7.

For some reason they must not have record of this purchase for me. Thankfully I have the original envelope and card that came with it.

Steve Watkins
01-11-2009, 02:28 AM
Yes, I did get the email but it did not include my BDAG - just the unlocks that were included in BW7.

For some reason they must not have record of this purchase for me. Tbankfjlly I have the original envelope and card that came with it.

Yeah, with that, you should be able to call them and get it all straightened out.

Richard Syed
01-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm still puzzled by this. I have BW7 unlock keys for HALOT, BDAG and APNT, and not only have ! not received new codes for them for BW8 (not too worrying just yet, as I ony received BW8 yesterday afternoon and today is Sunday), but as far as I can make out the databases themselves for these are not on the BW8 DVD and there seems no obvious way of getting hold of them. And as Eric pointed out above, the old BW7 keys (5-character groups) won't fit into the 4-character spaces on the BW8 form - not that it would have achieved anything if the databases are not present.

Michael Hanel
01-11-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm still puzzled by this. I have BW7 unlock keys for HALOT, BDAG and APNT, and not only have ! not received new codes for them for BW8 (not too worrying just yet, as I ony received BW8 yesterday afternoon and today is Sunday), but as far as I can make out the databases themselves for these are not on the BW8 DVD and there seems no obvious way of getting hold of them. And as Eric pointed out above, the old BW7 keys (5-character groups) won't fit into the 4-character spaces on the BW8 form - not that it would have achieved anything if the databases are not present.

All databases are indeed on the BW8 DVD. So no worries about that. If you haven't received the codes you believe you needed (i.e. whatever you're missing) you can either be patient and give it a few more days or call or email their support during normal business hours. It may be a bit more of a challenge for you this way, but unfortunately BibleWorks as a company had to take more aggressive steps to protect their products because of piracy.

pstrickert
01-11-2009, 03:00 PM
If you haven't received the codes you believe you needed

The codes WE believe we needed? That sounds a bit condescending, as if there's a good chance WE could be mistaken. Maybe that's not how you meant it, though. ;)

Michael Hanel
01-11-2009, 03:21 PM
The codes WE believe we needed? That sounds a bit condescending, as if there's a good chance WE could be mistaken. Maybe that's not how you meant it, though. ;)

Well it's a good thing I'm not in any customer service dept then. Listen to what I mean, not what I say ;)

bshauger
01-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Looks like the unlock codes I received were for the wrong modules.....

rmatt99
01-15-2009, 01:06 PM

Well, I suppose I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one that didn't receive codes for purchased modules. In my case, I didn't receive my Halot code. I've sent two e-mails and left a voice message about the issue. Seventy-two hours and so far no replies ... I'm sure their busy owing to the release of Version 8. I'm spoiled; it's tough working without this module. Here's hoping for an early resolution ...

Gospelizer
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
This thread (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3456) goes into some of this in more detail.

bshauger
01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Well, for that reason I only updated my laptop to play with Version 8 while I do my real work on my desktop with Version 7 for the time being. I still have Halot and BDAG in Version 7 and will wait for the new codes. I took someone's advice and resent my email with the Version 7 unlock codes for Bibleworks convenience.

Just looking at the "hits" in this forum area you know they must be very busy. I wish I lived close by them to help out.

pstrickert
01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Well, I suppose I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one that didn't receive codes for purchased modules. In my case, I didn't receive my Halot code. I've sent two e-mails and left a voice message about the issue. Seventy-two hours and so far no replies ... I'm sure their busy owing to the release of Version 8. I'm spoiled; it's tough working without this module. Here's hoping for an early resolution ...

I know we've been spoiled by Mike Bushnell and the unparalleled service of the Bible Works staff. I, too, still await the BDAG and HALOT codes. It has been a week since I contacted customer service. I have since e-mailed them my unlock codes for these two modules (and my registration codes for BW5, 6, and 7). In the past few days, I received for the second and third times the same e-mail I received before BW8 arrived (which contains the codes for the modules included in BW8). Strange.

bshauger
01-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Well, I am not sure what is happening but I received another unlock email this morning. This time it has two LUTBr codes and two BNGD codes. The total list covers 5 modules, 1 of which I paid extra for before. I still haven't received my Halot or BDAG codes so I will assume this email was automated and not in response to my request for updated BWW 8 unlocks (I sent them my Halot and BDAG unlock codes for BWW 7).

I am not home where BWW is so I don't know what the two different code sets do, one of the codes for each is the same as what I received before.

bshauger
01-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Just got ALL my unlock codes....I feel for Bibleworks staff, they must really be busy but like usual, they come through. One thing to keep in mind, this group of people will do their best for YOU....they are true servants and the problems we've experienced, I believe, are not a result of any intentional shortcut or short changing.

Looks like they may have devised a new automated way of handling unlocks.

Gospelizer
01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Looks like they may have devised a new automated way of handling unlocks.

What do you mean?

bshauger
01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Here's what was said in the email "Our records of some modules that were acquired long ago were buried too deeply to allow the automatic code transmission program to find them."

And the unlocks were in a table this time. I was referring to automating the emails rather than the unlocks.

Gospelizer
01-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Hmm. Thanks. Maybe the problem will be solved for the future. I have not received an email yet.

bshauger
01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's my history -

Jan 8 received email that my order shipped
Jan 8 received unlock codes for 5 modules but not Halot & BDAG
Jan 13th received BWW8 and responded to unlock email about not getting all unlocks
Jan 14th responded again but included my original unlocks for H & B
Jan 16 received email with same original Jan 8th 5 modules but this time two had two unlocks
Jan 16 received response to my email with my original unlocks...this email had all my unlock codes that I needed and apologized for the problems.

I am unsure about the "double" unlock codes for two modules but I intend to only use the last email's unlocks....I should be good to go.

Gospelizer
01-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the history. At least that gives us an idea of what to expect.

hubmair
01-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I have joined the I-don't-have-my-unlock-code club. I noticed that my old account no longer works. I had an account on the BW site that used a user name and password. When I bought my upgrade, that was wiped out and I had to register for a new one. This one used your email address and a password.

I believe that my old modules were registered but I wonder if that account was simply wiped out?

I guess it does not matter, I have all my receipts with the old unlock codes and I will submit them. I know we will eventually get them but I cannot install BW8 until I get them because I use HALOT and BDAG too much to do without it.

pstrickert
01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Still waiting . . .

I received BW8 on 01/08, contacted customer support the same day via Internet and the following day by e-mail. I included my past codes in a follow-up e-mail about three days later. Today is 01/20. No e-mail response. No phone call. No nothin'! :)

Greg Ward
01-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I also sent my first request on the 8th for an upgraded code. I'm sure the email box was stuffed to capacity by Monday morning. I did receive another copy of the initial emails on 1/15. I'm guessing they didn't see my question clearly among the other words of encouragement and thanks. I resubmitted my request, a little more clearly this time, on 1/19. I'm still waiting on the answer.

My suggestion is that if you haven't heard anything at all since the 8th to re-submit your request. It seems others are getting answers who put in later requests. With hundreds of email and phone calls, a simple finger slip could have made your request go 'the way of all the earth.' :D

bshauger
01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry guys, you are making me feel bad. I have all my codes and am running nicely (not trying to rub it in). I am sure they will get to you shortly. This isn't divine appointing, is it ;) This could lend to a very deep and long theological discussion....

When I received the incomplete codes I replied back to that same email with my BW7 Halot and BDAG codes so everything was there - my name, other BW8 unlock codes as well as the missing codes. It was 4-6 days before I received the missing codes.

Gospelizer
01-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Hang in there guys, and let us know when you get your codes.

"Divine appointing?" Wrong thread to discuss Calvinism! :D

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

pastor-steve
01-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I wrote to customer support with all my serial #s, etc. on 1/16 - nothing yet.

(I didn't receive the 4 "bonus" codes for upgraders or my new BDAG/HALOT codes.)

I hope to get them soon. I miss my lexicons (lexica? lexici? lexicae? :-)

One more time on the warning: If you need your previously purchased resources and don't have the new codes, don't install BW 8 yet!!

--Steve

Adelphos
01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
IOne more time on the warning: If you need your previously purchased resources and don't have the new codes, don't install BW 8 yet!!

I don't have BW8 yet, and don't know when I will, but in the meantime, why can't you keep BW7 alongside of BW8? IOW, is it absolutely MANDATORY that you UNinstall BW7?

Mark Eddy
01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't have BW8 yet, and don't know when I will, but in the meantime, why can't you keep BW7 alongside of BW8? IOW, is it absolutely MANDATORY that you UNinstall BW7?
Short answer: No.
More complete answer: You do not have to uninstall BW7 first, if you have plenty of hard disk space. However, be aware that BW7 and BW8 would share some files, so that BW7 might mess up something in BW8. One thing you would need to do, if you keep both programs, is after you install BW8 copy all of its fonts into the BW7 directory to overwrite the fonts there before you open BW7 again. There are only a couple of fonts with changes, but I don't remember which, and you don't want to overwrite the BW8 fonts.
I have both versions installed on my laptop. I had to use BW7 for public consumption while I was beta testing BW8. I had no problem of which I am aware. However, I have had problems with the copy center which no other beta testers had. And that could have stemmed from running both BW8 and BW7. I never had both open at the same time, so I cannot speak for the safety of doing that.
Mark Eddy

Dan Phillips
01-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Still no codes for me, though I wrote Wednesday

:confused:

Richard Syed
01-23-2009, 08:54 AM
My unlock codes came yesterday 22nd Jan - wrote for them about four days ago, with the old keys. Could someone please tell me how to make HALOT the default Hebrew lexicon when coming from 'Send verse to lexicon browser'? It now always sends it to TWOT - but in BW 7 it always opened up on HALOT. I can't find anything in Help about a default lexicon. Or perhaps it was just luck that it used to open up on HALOT in BW7.

Greg Ward
01-23-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm not at my BW. Until someone else can answer, search your help file.

Adamsen
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
My unlock codes came yesterday 22nd Jan - wrote for them about four days ago, with the old keys. Could someone please tell me how to make HALOT the default Hebrew lexicon when coming from 'Send verse to lexicon browser'? It now always sends it to TWOT - but in BW 7 it always opened up on HALOT. I can't find anything in Help about a default lexicon. Or perhaps it was just luck that it used to open up on HALOT in BW7.

The Lexicon Browser should remember the last active lexicon and use that for the 'Send verse to lexicon browser'. It does so here in BW8, and it did so in BW7. I cannot check whether the use of HALOT changes that behaviour (as I have not yet got my HALOT unlock code that I requested 9 days ago).

Could you describe in detail what you do?

PS: I have received my codes by now. :)

Soxfan23
01-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Richard,

In the analysis window right-click and see if HALOT is checked under the "Default analysis window Hebrew Lexicon" option. That's the only thing I can think to do, because it should remember which lexicon you opened last.

Adamsen
01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Richard,

In the analysis window right-click and see if HALOT is checked under the "Default analysis window Hebrew Lexicon" option. That's the only thing I can think to do, because it should remember which lexicon you opened last.

Well, if so, it doesn't work. At least here, BW8 remembers the last used lexicon, also between sessions.

Adamsen
01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Still no codes for me, though I wrote Wednesday

:confused:

I got most of my codes, but so far I am still waiting for codes for my HALOT and my LSJM. My mail was sent Wednesday in the previous week.

I use to praise BibleWorks' support, but for this I cannot praise them.

Chris Evarts
01-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I recieved an email with codes, but they didn't match my current set of unlocks. I responded with an email with all of my BW7 unlocks so they could give me the right codes.

One week later... no reply.

That is simply poor service.

Adamsen
01-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I got most of my codes, but so far I am still waiting for codes for my HALOT and my LSJM. My mail was sent Wednesday in the previous week.

I use to praise BibleWorks' support, but for this I cannot praise them.

Just got my codes! :)

Ken Neighoff
01-23-2009, 04:00 PM
The Bible Works staff has posted many times that they are working hard to retreive codes for people who need them. I think we should give them grace and latitude to do their work. It pains my heart to read 'their customer service used to be good, now it is slipping.' Remember "patience" is still part of the fruit of the Spirit.

Richard Syed
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Adamsen and SSoxfan 23 - thank you.
1. I tried right clicking in the analysis window:
1. HALOT wasn't checked so I checked it.
2. Right-clicked on a Hebrew word in WTT in the Browse window, and selected 'Send Verse to Lexicon Browser'.
3.It opened on TWOT, so I slelected HALOT from 'Lexicons' in the TWOT window's menu bar. Then closed it.
4. Went back to the Analysis window to see if HALOT was still checked. It was. I wonder if I should have exited BW and restarted it to make it take effect? I'll try that later.
I repeated step 2, but it again opened on TWOT, so it had not remembered that HALOT was what I had last looked at(as BW7 always used to).

The nuisance is that when (step 3) I change TWOT to HALOT it is no longer just that verse, but the whole continuous HALOT (opening at the word I selected in WTT).

I wonder if it's because I'm working on the Windows XP partition of an iMac - but BW7 was remembering Halot here without any problem until last week. I may try installing BW8 on my XP laptop and see if that is any different. Maybe there's something in BW8 that doesn't like being in a virtual operating system, but BW7 didn't mind.

Michael Hanel
01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
2. Right-clicked on a Hebrew word in WTT in the Browse window, and selected 'Send Verse to Lexicon Browser'.
3.It opened on TWOT, so I slelected HALOT from 'Lexicons' in the TWOT window's menu bar. Then closed it.
4. Went back to the Analysis window to see if HALOT was still checked. It was. I wonder if I should have exited BW and restarted it to make it take effect? I'll try that later.
I repeated step 2, but it again opened on TWOT, so it had not remembered that HALOT was what I had last looked at(as BW7 always used to).

The nuisance is that when (step 3) I change TWOT to HALOT it is no longer just that verse, but the whole continuous HALOT (opening at the word I selected in WTT).

I wonder if it's because I'm working on the Windows XP partition of an iMac - but BW7 was remembering Halot here without any problem until last week. I may try installing BW8 on my XP laptop and see if that is any different. Maybe there's something in BW8 that doesn't like being in a virtual operating system, but BW7 didn't mind.

Running XP on a "normal" computer.
I followed your steps.
1. Made HALOT the default Hebrew lexicon by right clicking in the Analysis window.
2. Sent verse to lexicon and TWOT was the lexicon.
3. While lexicon window still opened, selected HALOT.
4. Closed lexicon window and tried again. This time HALOT opened and has since.

Adamsen
01-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Well, I cannot explain the problem you have. I did some checks with HALOT activated. BW8 functions precisely as I am used to from BW7. Whether BDAG, BDB Unabridged, HALOT, LSJM or others, the lexicon browswer remembers the last used lexicon. It does not matter which lexicon is default in the local menu of the AW Analysis tab.

I suggest that you send a detailed description of your problem, together with the System Information from the About BibleWorks box (in the Help Menu). Include, at least, text of INI files and Active Process Information. If they'll need more, they will let you know.

Chris Evarts
01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I recieved an email with codes, but they didn't match my current set of unlocks. I responded with an email with all of my BW7 unlocks so they could give me the right codes.

One week later... no reply.

That is simply poor service.

I called the support line and left a message. They called back in less than an hour and provided the codes.

That is simply excellent service.:D

pstrickert
01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I first contacted CS fifteen days ago. I guess I'll call the CS number, but it'll have to wait until Monday. CS is closed for the weekend. :(

rburks001
01-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Well,

I had to write twice -- then got email from of campus BW person who told me they couldn't find a record of my buying the databases -- so I sent them all the old data --

I am now two weeks into this on BW 8 -- hope they find me and authorize my codes soon.

rburks:(

calvary
01-24-2009, 04:38 AM
I called the support line and left a message. They called back in less than an hour and provided the codes.

That is simply excellent service.:D

Oh wow, that's cool. I'll have to call on Monday. The first two times I called I wasn't given an option to leave a message.

It seems maybe things are returning to normal. :D

Dave

Dan Phillips
01-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I wrote once, with no reply. Then I wrote a second time, got a very nice apology-response pretty quickly. Now I'm cooking.

Seems like they weren't really prepared, or maybe this isn't the best-thought-out thing they've done.

Greg Ward
02-07-2009, 07:54 PM
I sent an email to support on January 8 regarding a missing code. They are really working their way through the back log! I received the answer on February 7 (Saturday!). Thanks Support Staff!! :):) Keep plugging away at it!

(My one missing BW8 code was because I ordered a module on the same order back in November. The BW7 unlock code was sent out in a couple hours. Thanks! But the BW8 order probably searched the database before the new module got registered.)

If you're email request is buried in the backlog, be encouraged.