PDA

View Full Version : Copy Window?

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Yikes,

it's late, I'm still working on sermon notes, and I'm a little stuck. Anyone know where the little pop up copy window feature went to that sticks to the application you chose? The new one in version 8 I'm trying right now doesn't work with Nota Bene; old one did.

Anyone awake? :D

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Also, the old feature of being able to type in the version you want under the verse reference is no longer part of the pop up window. Anyone know a work around? I hope this old feature is put back in, I'm really lost without it.

Thanks,
Dave

Steve Watkins
01-11-2009, 01:41 AM
"Tools" > "Importing/Exporting Information" > "Popup Verse Copy Window" (top of the list)

Works fine for me, with Word 2007. I don't use Nota Bene, though, so I can't help you there. Good studying!

Eric
01-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Are you looking for the ctrl+shift+b - that brings up the copy window.

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:43 AM
"Tools" > "Importing/Exporting Information" > "Popup Verse Copy Window" (top of the list)

Works fine for me, with Word 2007. I don't use Nota Bene, though, so I can't help you there. Good studying!

Does the little window attach itself to Word?

Dave

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Are you looking for the ctrl+shift+b - that brings up the copy window.

I'm finding the copy window just fine. Now what I need is for the old feature of being able to change bible versions in the pop up window. Remember how it was in version 7?

Dave

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the replies, though. :)

Dave

Steve Watkins
01-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Eric's right - CTRL+SHIFT+B brings it up too.

It doesn't actually attach itself to the window, per se - but it does stay on top with Word, even when BW8 is not the primary window.

Steve Watkins
01-11-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm finding the copy window just fine. Now what I need is for the old feature of being able to change bible versions in the pop up window. Remember how it was in version 7?

Dave

To change the version, just click on the Options button in the floating Popup Copy Window. On the bottom left of the window that comes up, there are options for changing which versions you need.

BTW - just realized - you are up late out there in VA! Hope you get some rest before you have to preach!

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Eric's right - CTRL+SHIFT+B brings it up too.

It doesn't actually attach itself to the window, per se - but it does stay on top with Word, even when BW8 is not the primary window.

Hmm... it won't say on top for me, even in Open Office. Oh well, it's gonna be a long night. I've been fooling with this for 45 minutes.

Pray for me. :)

Dave

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:51 AM
To change the version, just click on the Options button in the floating Popup Copy Window. On the bottom left of the window that comes up, there are options for changing which versions you need.

BTW - just realized - you are up late out there in VA! Hope you get some rest before you have to preach!

Yep, I see that. Version 7 was definitely better for this feature.

Thanks again,
Dave

Steve Watkins
01-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Hmm... it won't say on top for me, even in Open Office. Oh well, it's gonna be a long night. I've been fooling with this for 45 minutes.

Dave

I'll pray, brother. It's oddly comforting to know that other preachers sometimes stay up late on Saturday nights too!

calvary
01-11-2009, 01:54 AM
I'll pray, brother. It's oddly comforting to know that other preachers sometimes stay up late on Saturday nights too!

I really appreciate the prayer. I just wasn't expecting to have to deal with anything like this. You know how that goes.

Dave

Eric
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
After playing with the popup copy window, I've got the same question. When I go to the options screen, and configure it the way I believe it should be, the copy button continues to copy the BGM (my defined search version) onto the clipboard instead of copying the NET version onto my Word document as I am expecting. Here is the config window:

Michael Hanel
01-11-2009, 05:19 PM
After playing with the popup copy window, I've got the same question. When I go to the options screen, and configure it the way I believe it should be, the copy button continues to copy the BGM (my defined search version) onto the clipboard instead of copying the NET version onto my Word document as I am expecting. Here is the config window:

Post a picture of your command line. My guess is that the green area under the command line itself says NET / BGM.

Eric
01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Here's a copy of the command line, but how is the command line associated with the popup copy window? Under BW7 one chose the verses and the version and clicked copy and the text was pasted into the Word document. Now, however, when I click the copy button on the popup copy window, it pastes my search version onto the clip board...

Michael Hanel
01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Here's a copy of the command line, but how is the command line associated with the popup copy window? Under BW7 one chose the verses and the version and clicked copy and the text was pasted into the Word document. Now, however, when I click the copy button on the popup copy window, it pastes my search version onto the clip board...

The programmers will have to verify this, but I think there's a bug on the copy routine. It (the copy routine) seems to be getting distracted by whatever the search version is (that's why I wanted to see your command line). That seems to be the case here. if you change your search version to NET, it will copy fine. I could be wrong, but based on my testing, that seems to be the problem.

Eric
01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, there must be a bug with it. I changed my search version and the title on the popup window did change to NET. However, now it does not seem to do anything when I hit copy. It does not copy anything to the clipboard or my document.

Oh well. I'm sure they will fix it soon. I'm glad I have BW8 in hand and they can fix little things like this...

Thanks for your help Michael. BTW, your Things to Love in BibleWorks 8 is even more helpful now that I actually have the update!

Michael Hanel
01-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes, there must be a bug with it. I changed my search version and the title on the popup window did change to NET. However, now it does not seem to do anything when I hit copy. It does not copy anything to the clipboard or my document.

Oh well. I'm sure they will fix it soon. I'm glad I have BW8 in hand and they can fix little things like this...

Thanks for your help Michael. BTW, your Things to Love in BibleWorks 8 is even more helpful now that I actually have the update!

Yeah def sounds like a bug then. If you hit control-v (paste), it should paste it anyway. Hopefully that'll get you by. It should take a day or two before the programmers can check this one out, but it should get fixed pretty quick. It's not surprising a few bugs come out like this. It's actually impossible to test every feature in beta-testing, esp w the additions of new ones. Then you always have the problem of fixing one thing later on actually causes new problems that had earlier been fixed. I don't recall this being a problem earlier in testing, but it definitely looks like a bug now.

And I'm glad you appreciated the series. I felt I had a responsibility to tell others about all the new stuff because I know if I hadn't a copy of BW8 in my hands, I'd be dying to know what's in it :)

calvary
01-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Eric,

I'm glad you mentioned this as well, because I should have said this in my original post.

Also too, does anyone remember the little copy window having the space to type in the version you want to copy below the window to type in the scripture reference? This was the first thing I noticed when the copy window appeared? This feature seems to be gone rather than just a bug. Nobody in this thread has mentioned this feature so I'm wondering if anyone really used it. I used it all the time. Any comments?

I can't offer a screen shot because I've removed version 7 from my machine.

Dave

Eric
01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Yes, I do remember the place in the dialog to put the version you wanted to copy and I used it all the time. I assumed that it was removed when they redesigned the options screen. It appears to me that it was replaced by the Output Format Options - Verse List or Range. In this area you can choose lots of options like what versions to include. I'm not sure it's an improvement over the old style, but it was my assumption that it was an "improvement." However, I don't think it works as it is supposed to right now.

Eric
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I think a solution might have appeared in one of the recent updates. When I go to the options menu, there is a Favorite Settings option now called "Copy to Microsoft Word."

When I select this option, I can now enter my choice of version and select the Copy button and it copies the reference and the version correctly.

The only problem I see is that I can seem to create my own Favorite setting.

calvary
01-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I think a solution might have appeared in one of the recent updates. When I go to the options menu, there is a Favorite Settings option now called "Copy to Microsoft Word."

When I select this option, I can now enter my choice of version and select the Copy button and it copies the reference and the version correctly.

The only problem I see is that I can seem to create my own Favorite setting.

Yes, I see that I can enter my version choice. But the little window still will not remain on top (In Nota Bene, anyway). It doesn't behave at all like it did in version 7. I'm just going to put a word in with tec support and see what's going on.

With all this being said-- I still love the new version. :)

I know these issues will be worked out eventually.

Dave

calvary
01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Hmm... Actually, when I type a verse and press copy, the only thing I get now is an error message which says, "verse list box currently has no entries."

The only way mine actually works is to highlight the verse in the main window.

I'm going to have to load version 7 back on till this get's resolved. :(

Dave

calvary
01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Just in case any of the BW staff read this before I get a chance to call-- could you pleeease (yes, I'm begging) give version 8 the same functionality as version 7 with the copy window? :D

Thanks for all you do,
Dave

calvary
01-15-2009, 04:23 PM
They must be swamped. Tried to call and just got a recording saying voice mail box was full. :confused:

calvary
01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Here is the function that is no longer present in BW. It seems as though the new version has reduced the flexibility of where you can send copied text. It seems that you can only copy to your document what is in the verse list box or what you highlight from the bible text itself. I've unable to copy the scripture I type into the little copy window.

Version 7 window looked like this.

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/Copy.jpg%5B/IMG%5Dhttp://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/Copy.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/Copy2.jpg
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/Copy2.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

jfidel
01-15-2009, 09:03 PM
David,

If you go to tools/importing exporting information and select popup verse copy window.. does this do what you want? Select the options box for tons of options as to where the verse or pericope will be copied to.

calvary
01-15-2009, 09:13 PM
jfidel,

Yes, I've done that. But doing that still does not allow the verses you type into the box to transfer to the application. Only the verses from the verse list box, and ones highlighted and copied from the browse window area can be copied to the application.

In version 7, you choose which application to send the bible verse to, then you could type the verse (or verse range) into the copy window, and it would go to that application with the format you chose.

Version 8 does not do that.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

p.s. I'm gathering from most of the responses I've received that the feature I'm having the problem with is not one that many people use or know about. Unfortunately for me, it is a feature that is a major part of my sermon prep. :(

Mark Eddy
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmm... Actually, when I type a verse and press copy, the only thing I get now is an error message which says, "verse list box currently has no entries."

The only way mine actually works is to highlight the verse in the main window.

I'm going to have to load version 7 back on till this get's resolved. :(

Dave
In the BW8 "Options Window" under "Output Format Options" click on "Verse List or Range." At the time left there is a line titled "Copy Settiings for this Menu Option..." The arrow under it produces a drop-down list. The first item in the list is "Copy Verse List + Text." Did you perhaps click on that? If so, it explains why BW says that the vers list is empty.
When I choose the entry "Open Popup Copy Window" and chose the other options as you did, when I close the "Options Window" and open the little "Popup Copy Window", type in the verse(s) I want to copy, and then click on the "copy" button, the verses copy to the assigned Word document in the assigned version, without the search version.
It isn't as quick as in BW7, but once you set the Options the way you want them, it ends up being quicker, unless you regularly change the version you are copying. It does take some time to get used to the changes.
Mark Eddy

calvary
01-15-2009, 09:35 PM
In the BW8 "Options Window" under "Output Format Options" click on "Verse List or Range." At the time left there is a line titled "Copy Settiings for this Menu Option..." The arrow under it produces a drop-down list. The first item in the list is "Copy Verse List + Text." Did you perhaps click on that? If so, it explains why BW says that the vers list is empty.
When I choose the entry "Open Popup Copy Window" and chose the other options as you did, when I close the "Options Window" and open the little "Popup Copy Window", type in the verse(s) I want to copy, and then click on the "copy" button, the verses copy to the assigned Word document in the assigned version, without the search version.
It isn't as quick as in BW7, but once you set the Options the way you want them, it ends up being quicker, unless you regularly change the version you are copying. It does take some time to get used to the changes.
Mark Eddy

Thanks Mark, I'll give that a try. I still wish the one from 7 had been left as is. I do frequently like to copy different versions on the fly.

I'm just going to have to wait for the BW techie's to see this thread or until I can get through to them.

Dave

Steve Watkins
01-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Here's what I have with BW8. Clicking "Options" on the Popup Copy Window brings up that dialogue. On the middle left, under "Where to copy the verse list...", check the bottom option ("The Window with this caption..."). That will populate the drop-down menu underneath it with all of the Windows you have open (including whatever Word-processor you're using). Select the one you want, and click OK to close the dialogue box.

Now, when you use the Popup Copy window, it should send your text straight to the designated window. Let me know if that works!!!

calvary
01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Something's wrong for sure. No matter what combo I check, I still get, "verse list box currently has no entries."

I don't have Word on my machine. Been using Nota Bene for years. It's always worked with BW till now. I tried using Wordpad. Still no go.

Oh well...

Thanks for everyone's help. At least I can enjoy the new features of 8, and just use 7 for sermon prep for now.

Dave

Steve Watkins
01-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Sorry, Dave! It's gotta be frustrating. It must be a bug of some sort - so the good news is that the BW programmers are top notch, and will eventually get it ironed out so that things work as designed.

On my machine, it seems to function properly. The Popup Copy window stays on top, and I can configure it to copy to wherever I want (Word or otherwise). So, it should work - it's made to work - it's just got a bug that your system doesn't like.

Mark Eddy
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Actually I prefer the first option under "Where to copy the verse list" "Clipboard." That way I can paste it into my word processor or BW editor or notes when I want, in theory. On my laptop it opens a floating editor window, which I then have to copy and paste to where I really wanted it. Yes, there is a bug, but it seems to affect only a minority of setups, and it affects them differently.
Mark Eddy

calvary
01-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Sorry, Dave! It's gotta be frustrating. It must be a bug of some sort - so the good news is that the BW programmers are top notch, and will eventually get it ironed out so that things work as designed.

On my machine, it seems to function properly. The Popup Copy window stays on top, and I can configure it to copy to wherever I want (Word or otherwise). So, it should work - it's made to work - it's just got a bug that your system doesn't like.

Steve,

your right, gotta be something going on. I know the BW staff are the best. They would be bummed about this for sure if they knew how frustrating it's been. I know their heart on these matters.

I'm not giving up, though. :)

Dave

calvary
01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Actually I prefer the first option under "Where to copy the verse list" "Clipboard." That way I can paste it into my word processor or BW editor or notes when I want, in theory. On my laptop it opens a floating editor window, which I then have to copy and paste to where I really wanted it. Yes, there is a bug, but it seems to affect only a minority of setups, and it affects them differently.
Mark Eddy

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I'm going to request that the space for the version type (like in ver 7) be put back in the copy window, though. I still believe that was way more flexible than the new way. Hope they'll do it. :D

Dave

SkipB
01-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I also use Nota Bene. When I begin a new NB document, and want to copy into it I go to Tools/Importing exporting/pop up copy window
I then choose options, make sure that I select Nota Bene - [untitled] and have the radio button next to "window with this caption" selected. I hit OK the option window closes, I type my range, Gen 3:15-18 etc. into the pop up windo and bang its there in NotaBene. I find it quick and easy.

SkipB
01-16-2009, 01:29 AM
I've never posted screen cap before here goes:

SkipB
01-16-2009, 01:44 AM
You can set this up to copy browse text to Nota Bene

SkipB
01-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Yeah, try again:

calvary
01-17-2009, 06:09 AM
SkipB

Thanks a ton for your help. I so appreciate that you went through the trouble to do those screen shots. I'm sorry to report that I'm still getting no results. I have my set up exactly like you do in the screen shots and still "nada." WEIRD!

The name "Nota Bene" does not show up in any drop down list even if I've tagged the copy text to be sent there.

The only thing that "sort of" works is to choose "Word" as the send to app, and that gives me an error that says "word isn't installed" but at least the text then get's copied to the clip board. That's the only figuration that works to get any text to even copy to the clip board.

Needless to say, I'm pretty frustrated having spent many, many hours trying to figure out this very simple task that worked flawlessly in version 7.

I've already tried to contact tech support via email and online form, but I know they're really busy. But as usual, they'll end up handling this matter perfectly once things have chilled out a bit.

I wish I knew a work around other than having to reload version 7.:confused:

God is teaching me patience. I know, because this has truly been a drag. :)

Thanks for your help, I think it's best that I wait to hear from text support at this point.

Blessings,
Dave

SkipB
01-17-2009, 09:54 AM
I forgot to tell you that the favorite settings list is editable, get everything set the way you want it, then select the first undefined slot from the favorites list and type in nota bene. When you close the list those settings will then be associated with an NB obtion.
I am really sorry to hear it doesn't work for you. I've used NotaBene since the "green binder" days it was the first major program I bought, when I built my first ibm compatible in the mid '80s (just after the Hercules card made Greek and Hebrew fonts on screen possible). I bought that even before Bibleworks 3.5. Did all my research with NB, could never imagine using another word processor.
I hope you get it fixed soon.

Eric
01-17-2009, 11:21 AM
One other thing you might try if you have not. I was having problems with copying to Word. My "Favorites" was on the first entry. However, if I selected one of the undefined entries and made my setting, it all of a sudden started to work. You might give that a try if you have not already...

Gilbert Salinas
01-18-2009, 06:28 PM
The Place reference before text option does not work, neither in Word2007 nor WordPerfectX4.

The Place reference after text option does not work properly, neither in Word2007 nor WordPerfectX4. All it does is place the verse number after each verse in a range that is copied.

Gilbert :confused:

Greg Ward
01-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Gilbert,
In the Output Format Options dialog, there is a line that will designate the format of the reference--Reference Format. You can chose items such as version, book, chapter, verse, bolding, etc. You may have just <verse> on this line!

Now there are several Output Format Options boxes for different BW outputs (Tools menu/Options):
1) Verse List (no text)
2) Verse List or Range --This is what the Popup Copy box uses (ctrl+shift+b)
3) Selected Browse Text

The latter two allow you to format the reference. The latter two also allow you to define Favorite presets for that copy method (top right of the dialog). It seems to work best to choose an undefined Favorite, then customize the settings (where you it sent and the format). Then make sure it took as a new Favorite and choose it.

Then try to copy and it should follow that format. (I'm still testing my way through this too.)

PTCalvary
01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
I too have been having trouble with the pop-up copy window. But what is most irritating is that when I get the text to copy to my word document, Word will not let me change the font size of the Greek or Hebrew text. I'm using Word 2000 on with Windows XP. I like to print out the Greek/Hebrew text, then enlarge it so I can write a hand-written translation. Does anyone have any fixes for this problem?

SCSaunders
01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
SkipB Thanks a ton for your help. I so appreciate that you went through the trouble to do those screen shots. Me too! :)

I drive by landmarks, not street signs. Your landmarks are easy to follow. They're getting me there without getting lost.

mileskor
01-22-2009, 10:01 AM
I used the copy window all the time with OpenOffice. Now with BW8 the option is gone. I can't even get the copy window to WORK with OpenOffice. I'm sure this'll all get smoothed out once the patch / update is up.

(Weren't there any OpenOffice users on the Beta testing team?)

Michael Hanel
01-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I used the copy window all the time with OpenOffice. Now with BW8 the option is gone. I can't even get the copy window to WORK with OpenOffice. I'm sure this'll all get smoothed out once the patch / update is up.

I think this copy box edit is some kind of hiccup. Right now there seems to be some problem with it pasting. If you copy something into Open Office, you still have to hit control-v to paste it, but otherwise it works. No doubt they'll figure out what's causing the problem and get it fixed now that the big rush of filling out invoices is over.

COTCJim
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM

I think this copy box edit is some kind of hiccup. Right now there seems to be some problem with it pasting. If you copy something into Open Office, you still have to hit control-v to paste it, but otherwise it works. No doubt they'll figure out what's causing the problem and get it fixed now that the big rush of filling out invoices is over.

I am having a different kind of copying problem. I am unable to copy verses from the search window that are checked. It will only copy the one that is highlighted, regardless of whether or not it is checked. Anyone else having this problem??

SkipB
01-22-2009, 12:50 PM
copying to Nota Bene was a bit ragged with v. 7 for me. I never used the pop up because it was erratic in behavior. I always blamed it on Nota Bene, we're used to idiosyncrasies. But everything is working fine in version 8. I have a favorite to copy to NB with reference 1st and with reference last. I can copy from pop up or from browse window. My only problem is that copying from the browse window, no matter what I do, I cannot remove cr/lf s. I am really happy with how the pop up works for me now, I have started using it more than highlighting and copying from browse window. Now if I can just figure out what I need to do to get the Hebrew accents compatible between BW and NB.

calvary
01-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Until I can I talk to tech support, and they can get all the copy functions up to standard, the copy functions in BW8 are almost useless to me. I hope I hear from them soon. Or, at least maybe they can respond to this thread on the board. There has now been numerous posts about copy center issues. I'm sure it's going to get some attention. :)

Dave

jintoku
01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm having similar problems and was directed here. Looks like there is no solution for those of us for whom it freezes. Trying any option at all now just doesn't work -- nothing gets copies to the clipboard or the designated window. Also, there appears to be no way to turn of internal verse references, which I now have to go through and delete manually -- for the one pericope I was able to copy before it froze up.

MBushell
01-23-2009, 11:26 PM
The programmers will have to verify this, but I think there's a bug on the copy routine. It (the copy routine) seems to be getting distracted by whatever the search version is (that's why I wanted to see your command line). That seems to be the case here. if you change your search version to NET, it will copy fine. I could be wrong, but based on my testing, that seems to be the problem.

Michael and Eric,

I am unable to duplicate the problem that the two of you were discussing. I set my command line and the Copy Setup parameters to what you had in your bitmaps, and it seems to work fine here. I'll need some more info to track the problem down. If you could send me yout bw800.ini file and exact steps to duplicate the problem, I will see what I can do.

The new copy options are probably more difficulr for old users than new ones, because they are different. The new way really is a lot more flexible and it requires fewer steps once you get your favorites all set up. I stongly recommend reading the manual. Sometimes it helps.

Mike

MBushell
01-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Eric,

I'm glad you mentioned this as well, because I should have said this in my original post.

Also too, does anyone remember the little copy window having the space to type in the version you want to copy below the window to type in the scripture reference? This was the first thing I noticed when the copy window appeared? This feature seems to be gone rather than just a bug. Nobody in this thread has mentioned this feature so I'm wondering if anyone really used it. I used it all the time. Any comments?

I can't offer a screen shot because I've removed version 7 from my machine.

Dave

The version menu was moved to the setup screen that is opened by clicking on the options button. This was intended to make things easier. The old copy options and copy format options windows were a nightmare if you wanted to make any changes. Try working with this new way of doing things for a while. I think (or maybe hope) that once you get a feel for it you'll like it a lot better. One thing I do want to do is add a favorites drop down to the Shift-Ctrl-B window. That will help but you'll still have to set up the favorites.

Mike

MBushell
01-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Dave

I'll try to load Open Office and play around a bit. One of the primary reasons for some of the changes is the way Vista works. In XP we could tell windows that we wanted to attach our popup window to Word (for you programmers we made Word the parent of the popup). That allowed us to send keystrokes to Word to cause it to paste in text. But the new Vista security overlord does not permit one program to attach to another this way. We were able to find some workarounds that got the copying to work, but insuring that the popup always stays on top does not always work for some non-Microsoft applications. Heightened security makes everything harder. There are roadblocks everywhere to keep applications from interacting directly with other applications. We'll keep working on it. It seems to work for some and not for others. That is why when you report a problem we need your INI file. It tells us many things, including what OS you are using.

Mike

MBushell
01-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I too have been having trouble with the pop-up copy window. But what is most irritating is that when I get the text to copy to my word document, Word will not let me change the font size of the Greek or Hebrew text. I'm using Word 2000 on with Windows XP. I like to print out the Greek/Hebrew text, then enlarge it so I can write a hand-written translation. Does anyone have any fixes for this problem?

By default most copy functions now copy Greek and Hebrew in Unicode. Unfortinately Word 2000 was just at the beginning of Unicode Support. It has minimal Unicode support. I am guessing that is youre problem. What you can try is opening up the options window for the copy option that you are using and changing the font options to non-unicode. Keep in mind that each menu item that does copying has its own set of options and its own set of favorites (these are set by the two drop down boxes in the options windows).

When things settle out in the office we'll have the support guys put together some FAQs. In the mean time I strongly recommend reading the manual on the new copy features.

Mike

calvary
01-24-2009, 05:30 AM
The version menu was moved to the setup screen that is opened by clicking on the options button. This was intended to make things easier. The old copy options and copy format options windows were a nightmare if you wanted to make any changes. Try working with this new way of doing things for a while. I think (or maybe hope) that once you get a feel for it you'll like it a lot better. One thing I do want to do is add a favorites drop down to the Shift-Ctrl-B window. That will help but you'll still have to set up the favorites.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for trying to help. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to talk to someone via phone. The only method of copying that I've been able to get to work is to highlight and copy from the browse window. And even that was will not send it to an application. It just puts it on the clip board.

The copy window will not copy text that is typed into it; only what is in the search window. And, it will not stay on top of any application I've tried nota bene, word pad, note pad, open office...

I have read through the help section with a fine tooth comb, but still nada.

I still think you guys should consider putting the little space back into the copy window where you can type in the version. This way, you can switch versions on the fly. The new way is not easier in that regard.

Blessings to all for the very hard work you've put into this. We'll get it all worked out soon. :)

Dave

p.s. edited to add that I did use the online form to send in my tech support report on this, where I included my Windows version. I also sent two emails. But I didn't include my ini file in either.

Adamsen
01-24-2009, 06:08 AM
The new copy options are probably more difficulr for old users than new ones, because they are different. The new way really is a lot more flexible and it requires fewer steps once you get your favorites all set up. I stongly recommend reading the manual. Sometimes it helps.

Mike

And this flexibility and easy of use in the long run is very welcome, in my view! :)

Michael Hanel
01-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Looks are sometimes deceiving. I got fooled on the Popup Copy Window because it was so small, but then realized that if I clicked the Options button that fixed most of my problems. When I was using it in Word, I found the text wouldn't actually copy unless I hit control-v, but then I clicked Options and noticed it said "Favorite Settings for this Menu Options" and "Copy to Clipboard" was chosen. When I changed that to "Copy to Word" suddenly no problems.

Second there is also a place to tell it what versions to include. By default I think this is set to "Results verse list", but when I saw this was how I changed that option too it made it a quick fix.

So for me the problem wasn't that the Copy window didn't do what it wanted, just that I missed the whole "press the option" button to fix what I wanted.

jintoku
01-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks Mike. I've read the manual, and I've got everything set as it should be. I've also tried other settings.

Copy settings for this menu option = Copy to Clipboard
Favorite settings for = Copy to Clipboard
Where to copy the verse list = clipboard
What version to include = Search version only
All list boxes unchecked.

I've set BW to search on NRS and display NRS

When I first tried this, working within WordPerfect, the ctrl-shift-b brought up the window, but I got a message that there was no such verse range. I tracked this down to that setting on the little green bar below the search window that had retained an old search results option -- a non-biblical text (Josephus). (On a side note, this is also confusing -- I had changed the options in the Search and Display -- and not "Search Results". Finally figured that out) and when I changed it to be NRS/NRS I was able to copy to the clipboard -- once. The window flashed, a small info window popped up during the copy and disappeared, and past to the document worked.

I then changed the verses I wanted in the copy popup and clicked ok again, and nothing happened. The clipboard contents were not replaced, and the same text is still coming through from the first attempt.

I closed down and rebooted the whole system. Now nothing happens when I try all the above. The only thing that happens is a Windows "focus shift" from the copy popup to the main BW window, but nothing is copied to the clipboard.

What am I missing? Thanks for your help.
Jintoku

Eric
01-26-2009, 12:58 AM
I've got similar problems with the copy window too. Here is a work-around solution I've found that works for me:

Select one of the [Undefined] items in the drop down dialog that is titled "Favorite Settings for this Menu Option..." Rename it to whatever you want to call it, then reset all the options to what you want.

Using this newly defined option seems to work for me.

SkipB
01-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Since moving to 6e.1 I have a new wrinkle with the pop up copy. The text to be copied shows up in the input window of the little copy pop up until I hit the paste button. Now this is in Nota Bene, which had been working fine. Text gets there just a middle step now.

jintoku
01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks Eric. That did indeed work. I created a new "Favorite" called "Copy NRS to Clipboard" and set it to do that, and it worked fine.

I still miss the setting that allowed one to strip internal verse numbers from the pasted text. Is that function still available somewhere, but I'm missing it? It makes for a bit of a chore in having to clip all the verse numbers from a pasted text when I don't want them (large print version for the deacon to read from -- the verse numbers interrupt the flow of the sense sometimes...)

Thanks again for the fix; hope the bug that prevents earlier favorites from working gets repaired. I note in the latest version 8e that the button now says "Favorites" instead of "Options."

calvary
01-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Hmm... am I missing something? Wasn't there an option button on the copy window before this latest update? There's a "favorites" button now.

Dave

calvary
01-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Since moving to 6e.1 I have a new wrinkle with the pop up copy. The text to be copied shows up in the input window of the little copy pop up until I hit the paste button. Now this is in Nota Bene, which had been working fine. Text gets there just a middle step now.

Skip, I sure would like to know how to get any text to NB. No configuration I've tried allows me to do anything with the copy function, except highlighting, copying and pasting from the browse window.

Bummer...:confused:

Dave

SkipB
01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Dave,
What OS are you running and what version of NB? I am using WinXP and NB 8.0i. I can tell you what I did, and how it works only to offer hope, that it can work. I am sure you have tried it all but just for encouragement, here is what I did.
I took the time to create entries under "Favorite settings for this menu option..." for each entry in the tree to the left
"verse list or range" and "selected browse text" and under each one of those options I created a favorite called either "Copy to Nota Bene ref 1st" & "Copy to Nota Bene ref last" then I set the options I wanted and hit ok. I set the copy to the window with this caption to the Nota Bene option Not to Nota Bene [untitled] I find the more general setting worked best for me. (see below)
Now when I hit Ctrl + Shift + B I get a Pop up window. Under favorites I can select either ref 1st or last depending on what I am doing, (see 2nd image) it has been pasting text into the pop up (3rd image) but when I hit the clipboard icon on NB's tool bar, it does paste in.
I hope you get this working.

Radiulo
01-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I've tried everything with those stupid options for the copy... NOTHING... Absolutely no combination of options will get this #$%^ thing to copy to MSWord... or the editor... or the clipboard... NOTHING....

I love BW8, but I've got to go back to BW7 if I want to copy text to my documents...

Is anyone going to fix this thing??????????????????????

Eric
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
It has been frustrating to me too. Have you submitted a support request?

Just to be certain, have you selected an [Undefined] favorite and reset all the settings? (See example)

calvary
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Dave,
What OS are you running and what version of NB? I am using WinXP and NB 8.0i. I can tell you what I did, and how it works only to offer hope, that it can work. I am sure you have tried it all but just for encouragement, here is what I did.
I took the time to create entries under "Favorite settings for this menu option..." for each entry in the tree to the left
"verse list or range" and "selected browse text" and under each one of those options I created a favorite called either "Copy to Nota Bene ref 1st" & "Copy to Nota Bene ref last" then I set the options I wanted and hit ok. I set the copy to the window with this caption to the Nota Bene option Not to Nota Bene [untitled] I find the more general setting worked best for me. (see below)
Now when I hit Ctrl + Shift + B I get a Pop up window. Under favorites I can select either ref 1st or last depending on what I am doing, (see 2nd image) it has been pasting text into the pop up (3rd image) but when I hit the clipboard icon on NB's tool bar, it does paste in.
I hope you get this working.

Skip,

Once again I thank you for your help. I'm I going to have to start paying you (and Eric) tech support fees? :p

I'm running WinXP/ NB-G (I think). I think I tried the setting your talking about. But I'll give it another shot after I'm done prepping for Wed's study. Don't have time to mess with it till Thurs.

Eric, I've submitted two tech reports on the copy window, and called three times. Haven't heard back yet. Plus I'm still waiting on my halot and bdag codes. They must really be backed up.

Hang in there Radiulo. :)

Lord, bless the BW staff, and give them the grace to handle this onslaught. And please help us to continue to be long suffering... in Jesus name, AMEN.

Dave

MBushell
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM

This is a problem with Word 2000. It has minimal (display only) support for Unicode Hebrew. If you want to edit Hebrew in Word you have two choices: (1) Get a more recent version of Word or (2) in BibleWorks, open the Setup Window and click on the Fonts item. At the bottom you see three checkboxes. Check the last one and uncheck the first two. This will force export to use non-Unicode for Greek and Hebrew. Then you'll be back where you were with BibleWorks 7.

Mike

Eric
01-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi Mike and thanks for the reply here. Are you aware that there are some significant problems with the copy window function. This thread lists them. I imagine you are aware, but just in case you've been too busy to read the thread.

MBushell
01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I just posted a new executable and a new help file. If you are having problems using the new copy options, please update your exe and help file. Then open the Popup Copy Window, place the mouse cursor over the window, and press F1. A new section has been added that tells you how to set up and use favorites for the Popup Copy Window. I know that some of you don't like the changes, but please give them a chance. Change is hard. I really think the new capabilities are vastly superior that what was there before. But it is more flexible and therefore take a little time to configure.

I did install Open Office and have had no trouble getting the Popup Copy Window to work with it. The Popup Window stays on top and copies just fine. Hope this helps.

Mike

SkipB
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
The weird behavior I was having in Nota Bene with the copied text showing up in the pop up window itself is gone. The F1 key works in my install of Nota Bene. My only residual copy problem is copying from browse window, no combination of flags I've tried will remove cr/lf from exported browse window text. But that might be a horse of a different color. Thanks Mike!

Eric
01-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Are the top few "Favorites" pre-defined even though you can change them?

Whenever I select any of the top 4 favorites and set the options the way I want, nothing happens. If I select one of the undefined items it works fine. I am able to change the name of the first 4 favorites and the settings too, but nothing seems to work when I use them.

Adamsen
01-30-2009, 01:50 AM
My only residual copy problem is copying from browse window, no combination of flags I've tried will remove cr/lf from exported browse window text. But that might be a horse of a different color. Thanks Mike!

I often had the same problem, but then I noticed that I inadvertently selected the empty lines between the different versions in the Browse Window myself. I am not sure - perhaps Mike can tell - whether BW perhaps distinguishes between different types of cr/lf's. It seems logical to me that it would not remove a cr/lf that it part of what I have selected. But perhaps I am misunderstanding what's going on?

PS: The "Enclose verse text in quotes" does not work with, e.g., German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish, i.e. with non-English languages.

MBushell
01-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Are the top few "Favorites" pre-defined even though you can change them?

Whenever I select any of the top 4 favorites and set the options the way I want, nothing happens. If I select one of the undefined items it works fine. I am able to change the name of the first 4 favorites and the settings too, but nothing seems to work when I use them.
Eric,
Send me your copyops.dat file. It is located in the BibleWorks root directory. This is where copy settings are stored. Note that at present seleting a favorite from the menu doesn't actually copy anything. It just sets the default used by the copy button. Perhaps I should change that. I'll think about it.
Mike

MBushell
01-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Eric,
Send me your copyops.dat file. It is located in the BibleWorks root directory. This is where copy settings are stored. Note that at present seleting a favorite from the menu doesn't actually copy anything. It just sets the default used by the copy button. Perhaps I should change that. I'll think about it.
Mike

I made the change Eric. Now when you select a favorite, it both sets the default and executes the default (does the copy). I think the interaction here has been helpful. The Popup Copy feature is getting better. Some of the rough edges are smoother.
Mike

Eric
01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I made the change Eric. Now when you select a favorite, it both sets the default and executes the default (does the copy). I think the interaction here has been helpful. The Popup Copy feature is getting better. Some of the rough edges are smoother.
Mike

Thanks for the response. I like the additional feature, but I'm still having the same problem. I'm attaching a few screen prints and my copy file.

When I select the first entry on the options screen, favorites dialog (I've renamed that entry "New") and hit copy, nothing happens. I first thought that maybe it was going to the clipboard, but not executing the paste command, but when I manually hit paste, there is nothing there.

When I select my second entry on the options screen, favorites dialog (still named as it was originally, "Copy to Word") and hit copy, again nothing happens.

When I select my third and forth entry ("Copy to Existing BW Editor" and "Copy to New BW Editor") and hit copy, everything works as expected. Actually, now that you've made this change, I don't have to hit copy, just select it.

When I select my fifth entry (I've renamed from "[Undefined]" to "Test1") everything works as I expect - the verse copies to my Word document.

I hope this is clear...

See attached screens. Bottom line is, I can do what I need to do, but the first two entries don't work at all.

PS: I was not sure how to email you. Using the forum email, it looked like I could not add an attachment and I didn't know your BW address.

FredGreco
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Eric,
Mike

The "Copy to Clipboard" favorite does not work at all. I understand that you have to select the favorite, and then actually click "Copy." The "Copy to Microsoft Word" favorite works fine this way.

I was able to get it to copy to Clipboard by using one of the "Undefined" favorites. Can the Copy to Clipboard either be fixed or deleted? It does not work at all.

FredGreco
02-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Is anyone else having this problem?

calvary
02-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Is anyone else having this problem?

Yes, I am. The new copy functions, so far, are pretty worthless to me at this point. I'm just waiting until I can take more time to put together another tech support report when things slow down for the tech team. I never got a response to the first ones I sent via the online form many days ago, so I figured they're still catching up.

Blessings,
Dave

Greg Ward
02-07-2009, 02:51 PM
The "Copy to Clipboard" favorite does not work at all. I understand that you have to select the favorite, and then actually click "Copy." The "Copy to Microsoft Word" favorite works fine this way.

I was able to get it to copy to Clipboard by using one of the "Undefined" favorites. Can the Copy to Clipboard either be fixed or deleted? It does not work at all.

I have played with and renamed most of the provided favorites. So I can't replicate your settings. But I seem to have null copies to either the clipboard or MSWord when the "What Versions to include" is set to "Search Version only" or "Results verse list version only." (I also have multiple MSWord documents open.)

MBushell
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi All,

I think I found the problem. If you do a copy from the browse window with the Setup Copy Options window open to the popup copy options, the copy options. The only way to fix it for now is to reinitialize the copy options to their defaults. You can do this by deleting the copyops.dat file (with BW closed) or by starting BW with the SHIFT key down and selection the option to delete the copy options.

I have a fix but it was an extensive change and needs some testing before it can be released - probably Monday. In the mean time when you make copy option changes, close the setup window before actually doing the copy.

Mike

MBushell
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
A couple of you posted queries about the fact that when you select one of the copy favorites in the Popup Copy Window, nothing would happen. In at least some of the cases this was due to a corrupted copyops.dat file (that's where copy settings are stored). It could be corrupted if you did a browse window copy with the Setup Window open to the copy options settings. Thanks for sending the copyops.dat file! That was a big help. This should be fixed now with the latest post (8.0.006w). Let me know how it goes.

Mike

hopeport
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
So far it's looking good... this is a big relief! Thank you for the fix!

Chris

Eric
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks so much, this seems to fix it on my end.

One other issue I noticed while testing is that when I select the check box to include the translator notes for the NET, I get the superscript numbers, but not the actual notes when copying.

Ben Spackman
02-09-2009, 11:46 AM
On that note, printing a report with chapter OR verse notes for non-Biblical versions does not work either. (This was also the case with BW7.)

SkipB
02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I still have cr/lfs when copying selected browser text. Each verse is on a new line. Maybe I am missing a setting somewhere other than the export section of the option flags.

MBushell
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I still have cr/lfs when copying selected browser text. Each verse is on a new line. Maybe I am missing a setting somewhere other than the export section of the option flags.
Can you give an example of the text you are copying. Are you in browse mode or multiple version mode.
Mike

SkipB
02-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I often copy from browse mode like this:
and it pastes like this:
I have all the options I can set to remove cr/lf s
I of course am pasting into Nota Bene. If the problem is there I can live with it.