PDA

View Full Version : BW8 Check for Updates

Joan Korte
01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
I installed BW8 and all modules without any glitches. But, when I checked for updates, there were two "Executable beta" updates. I know they were in the recommended box, but the word "beta" makes me wonder why I would want to download those patches. It is most likely the right thing to do but can anyone address the "beta" issue? Since installation went so well, I don't want to cause myself any problems. Thanks for your help.

And a big thanks to Bibleworks staff--the installation instructions and email with all the activation codes worked perfectly!

mcrouse
01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
[quote=Joan Korte;15737]I installed BW8 and all modules without any glitches. But, when I checked for updates, there were two "Executable beta" updates. I know they were in the recommended box, but the word "beta" makes me wonder why I would want to download those patches. It is most likely the right thing to do but can anyone address the "beta" issue? Since installation went so well, I don't want to cause myself any problems. Thanks for your help.

I almost sent a message like this a couple of days ago. I'm always leery of anything labeled "beta" because I've done a fair amount of beta testing for developers and to my mind the term "beta" suggests that you're taking some real chances if you download the version.

I second the motion for someone at BibleWorks to explain why a "beta" version is "recommended."

MBushell
01-10-2009, 11:40 PM
We just forgot to remove the beta label. The update is safe. I will repost it with the beta tag removed.
Mike

Steve Watkins
01-11-2009, 02:55 AM
I've performed the updates, with the "Beta" labels. Everything works great, and the current version (8.0.005v.1) does not indicate Beta. It's safe...

tcblack
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
We just forgot to remove the beta label. The update is safe. I will repost it with the beta tag removed.

Thanks Mike

Bennett B. Wethered
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
I too was wondering about the "beta" reference. I had gone ahead and downloaded it, assuming it was safe and legit (gullible, aren't I? :o).

jthomp
01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
I just installed BW8 and in the process of registering the product I got a notice of an upgrade. After the upgrade installed I got a notice that the exe file could not be installed because BW8 wasn't closed. I then closed the application, after completing my registration, and reopened the program. When I checked for program updates the system indicated no updates were available.

That seemed a little odd if the previous update didn't take. In any event when I checked "about" the version that shows is BW 8.0.005s.1. Is that the latest version?

Ben Spackman
01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't have 8, but theoretically, you can go and see all the patches and updates, and download them manually from http://bibleworks.com/programupdates.html

jthomp
01-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Ben,

Thanks for your response. I had already done that and for BW8 you're directed to the update function inside the application. The other link, which I imagine is an alternative update process, is broken. :(