PDA

View Full Version : Syriac text

Richard Syed
01-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I can't find the Syriac font in the font list. Is it possible to write in Syriac in the BW editor? (I asked the same question about Arabic in the Arabic thread recently - as the two scripts work in the same way perhaps one answer would serve for both). The Syriac font is Estrangela. Would it be possible to have a Serta font as well, and change between the two?

SkipB
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Richard
I can't remember the story on the Syriac fonts, they are a special case. I do remember a thread about converting Greek Hebrew and eventually Syriac to Unicode I would use the search feature in the blue bar above and look for Syriac, I don't know where all that went.

MGVH
01-19-2009, 06:57 PM
I can't seem to find a way to type directly in Unicode Syriac in the editor window
You can type in non-Unicode Syriac if you select the "non-Unicode Hebrew" button and then choose Bwheba as your font
You can copy/paste Syriac Unicode into the editor window using any other Unicode editor / font (I have a bunch of Syriac info HERE (http://scrollandscreen.com/syriac/index.htm))
If you use PES (Peshitta NT) as your base text, you should automatically be able to type in Syriac in the command line (though now that I try it, I can type in Syriac, but the database is corrupted somehow; it wants pesv.dbx which is very strange...)
You can copy/paste any PES text into the editor

Richard Syed
01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Thank you for that. It will take me a while to work through it, but it looks as though it will answer some of my needs.