PDA

View Full Version : Entering multiple verses

dave12n
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know of a way to enter multiple verses on the command line to be displayed in the browse window (e.g., type Matt. 1:1, Luke 1:1, Rom. 1:1 and have those vv. displayed in the browse window)?

SkipB
01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Dave, I would do this by opening a parallel windows dialog and choosing as many instances of the same version as I need to see passages. Then I would set each window to one of the passages I wanted to see. I would then have them side by side.

MGVH
01-19-2009, 06:06 PM
This provides more and less than what you want, but it may do some things better than the excellent suggestion to use the Parallel windows.

Open the Verse List Manager
At the bottom of the window is: "Enter a verse to add to Active List" > type in the verses you want one at a time and Add them
Using the menu: Export > Export to Search Window

Now all your verses at at your fingertips, but only one at a time will show up in the Browse pane. (I don't think you can get non-sequential verses ever to appear in the browse pane.)

If you want all the texts together, you can now use the Copy Verse List + Text > (to editor, clipboard, etc.) [For BW7, if I recall, right click in the search pane)

Alan Sommer
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
I use my word processor for this. I will use the pop up box in MS Word, type in the 3 or 4 references I want, and then i can see all the texts at once. It's not ideal, but it works for me.

Adelphos
01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
I use my word processor for this. I will use the pop up box in MS Word, type in the 3 or 4 references I want, and then i can see all the texts at once. It's not ideal, but it works for me.

You can easily use the Parallel Version Window to do the same thing.

If you want, say, 4 verses in the same version, you would type on the CL --

p kjv kjv kjv kjv

or if you wanted differenct versions --

p kjv scr gnt vul

You can then manipulate each text the way you want it, i.e., have different verses for each one, as well browse/single verse, etc.

Soxfan23
01-19-2009, 10:38 PM
I think something easier may be an idea for BW9 whenever it comes out. It would make sense to type, for instance, 3 different references on the command line (if you were wanting to see some verses parallel, such as the refrains in the Song of Songs or something). The three references cause either the parallel box to pop up with one verse at a time, or opens up the three references in the browse window so you could view them below one another.

I know it only takes a couple of more seconds to use the parallel window and search for every verse, but it just seems like kind of a hassle. You should be able to type the references in as opposed to selecting them from a drop-down box. I suggest an option where you type different references in the command line, and a pop-up box appears with the current search version with all the passages parallel on top of one another (you can notice the similarities and differences much better on top as opposed to side by side). The parallel function as it stands seems to specialize more on noticing the differences between different translations, while what I'm advocating would show the differences/similarities between different verses.

That would be a good option to have (the list of similarities one could show would be huge since we're always talking about how this verse is similar to that, how the Abrahamic covenant here differs a little from that one, etc).

What do you think? This fits perfectly with what BW tries to accomplish, so I would like to see something like this some time in the future.

dave12n
01-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions. MGVH's suggestion comes closest to what I was looking for, but I agree with Soxfan23 that it would be nice to see this functionality added to a future version of BibleWorks.

Soxfan23
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
I believe there would be great value in such a functionality for both students and teachers. Particularly for comparing verses where they are very similar to see if, for example, Ecclesiastes is similar to a certain proverb or one of the prophets is using the Pentateuch.

Like I said, it could technically be done in BW already, but it could be made much easier. Type 'luk 3:12 mar 4:16 joh 8:9' into the command line and there they pop up on top of one another....it would be very nice indeed.

Thoughts?