PDA

View Full Version : BW8 and previously purchased modules

pstrickert
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I've tried contacting tech support but, so far, to no avail. I purchased BDAG and HALOT a couple of versions back. Unfortunately, I cannot install and activate them in BW8. Should I have received new codes for them? I received other codes with BW8, but not the codes for BDAG and HALOT. Perhaps I need to wait longer than 24 hours for a response from tech support. If so, I apologize for my impatience. Thank you.

Michael Hanel
01-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I've tried contacting tech support but, so far, to no avail. I purchased BDAG and HALOT a couple of versions back. Unfortunately, I cannot install and activate them in BW8. Should I have received new codes for them? I received other codes with BW8, but not the codes for BDAG and HALOT. Perhaps I need to wait longer than 24 hours for a response from tech support. If so, I apologize for my impatience. Thank you.

If you've properly purchased those modules in the past and have your codes, even if there is some problem getting activation working right now, I would say you're in fine shape. You can try emailing them directly, but I'd give tech support another day or two. There's always a bottleneck the first few days products come out. A family member of mine got an iPod touch for Christmas and we weren't able to update the firmware on it all Christmas break because Apple's servers were overloaded. If Apple can't properly handle a big release, how much more stress for the smaller guys!

Greg Ward
01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
My unlock codes came by email when the shipment was made. The email listed codes of my modules for both "BibleWorks8" activation codes and "BibleWorks" unlock codes (before version 8). The codes are different.

When BW first started selling modules, such as BDAG/HALOT with BW5, they didn't keep records of who had purchased what unlock code. If you lost your card with the code, you lost the module. They have definitely improved the system to help customers!

So email service@bibleworks.com with all your relevant information (BW7 serial no., BW8 serial no, and old unlock codes). During this busy time for them, make it easier for them to get you a fast response.

pstrickert
01-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I appreciate the help. I still have two sets of codes for each product -- BDAG and HALOT. One set replaced the other, as I recall. I'm sure we'll get it straightened out.

Richard Syed
01-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Like PStrickert I too have failed to install previously purchased modules (HALOT, BDAG, and APNT). I wrote to Technical Support, but as that was only three minutes ago I don't expect a reply just yet - that was before I found this forum. I wasn't given the choice of HALOT, APNT and BDAG at the custom installation stage, and I can't see them in the newly installed BW8 Database folder. What should I do next? Uninstall BW8, reinstall BW7, copy and save the databases of those modues, uninstall BW7, reinstall BW8, copy the databases into the Database folder? And then how wouldo I get 5-character-group serial keys into a form that only allows 4-character groups?

brainout
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I dont know BibleWorks 8, but I would suspect certain menu items didn't change versus BibleWorks 5. In BibleWorks 5, I unlock my BDAG and HALOT on re-installation this way: File, Unlock Database . Then you are prompted to put in the codes from those cards. Works like a charm.

Hope that helps.

Sansom48
01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I dont know BibleWorks 8, but I would suspect certain menu items didn't change versus BibleWorks 5. In BibleWorks 5, I unlock my BDAG and HALOT on re-installation this way: File, Unlock Database . Then you are prompted to put in the codes from those cards. Works like a charm.

Hope that helps.

I don't have BW8 either at this point, but from what I understand they have changed the unlock codes completely on all purchased module to cut back on pirating, I can't remember if there are more or less numbers in the code. So the previous unlock codes will not work at all, which is why most have been receiving them via e-mail before the program reaches the door.

pstrickert
01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
This is one item that did, in fact, change in BW8. :(

brainout
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Pirating???? A BIBLE LEXICON???? LOL so much for the claim that we Christians are motivated by Christ! I mean, what's lower -- to be an axe murderer, or to pirate a BIBLE lexicon? I bet God will say pirating is lower, at the Bema -- at least murder only murders a human being who then hopefully goes to heaven (or had enough time to believe in the Gospel, if he does not, God foreknowing all).

But to murder the WORD that lives and abides forever by PIRATING? Ouch! Sure wouldn't want to be the object of THAT Divine Discipline!

Bennett B. Wethered
01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Dear brainout, I hope that I am misreading :confused: what you've written, and that you are simply writing a 'tongue-in-cheek' response to what Sansom48 wrote.....

if not......Please recognize that this is an example of the principle that a "laborer is worthy of his wages" (Luke 10.7; cf., 1 Tim. 5.18). Just as the folks at BibleWorks have had to pay fees, royalties, et al, to those who hold the copyrights on various module items, so then, we too, as their customers, justly pay them for these. In this sinful world, some might seek to wrongfully (sinfully) avoid paying, and/or 'pirate' the product, so measures against such sinful behaviors must be employed. All very appropriate and godly.

brainout
01-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Dear brainout, I hope that I am misreading :confused: what you've written, and that you are simply writing a 'tongue-in-cheek' response to what Sansom48 wrote.....

if not......Please recognize that this is an example of the principle that a "laborer is worthy of his wages" (Luke 10.7; cf., 1 Tim. 5.18). Just as the folks at BibleWorks have had to pay fees, royalties, et al, to those who hold the copyrights on various module items, so then, we too, as their customers, justly pay them for these. In this sinful world, some might seek to wrongfully (sinfully) avoid paying, and/or 'pirate' the product, so measures against such sinful behaviors must be employed. All very appropriate and godly.

I am serious. It is MUCH MORE WRONG that someone should pirate a Bible lexicon than even murder. I think you mistook my post as somehow being satirically critical of BibleWorks or its policy. Quite the opposite. I'm just shocked that anyone who would call himself "Christian" would do such a thing.

Anyone so low to pirate a Bible Lexicon is so deep in carnality a believer-murderer will fare better on Judgement Day, when we all stand before Him. The Word of God and all its associated support mechanisms (i.e., lexicons) is higher than life itself. That's why study is so important: if we misrepresent Him down here, isn't that worse than murder, 1 John 3:18 (see context from three verses prior)?

Bennett B. Wethered
01-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Dear brainout, I'm sorry to have misunderstood you. Yes, I agree with you that pirating of copyrighted material is wickedly sinful (as virtually all users of BW know).

I think that, just as there will be at the Day of Judgment those who have deluded themselves into thinking they are true, saved Christians/believers...who are not

(NAS Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.')

likewise there are unbelievers, in whom the Holy Spirit does not dwell, who nonetheless think they are 'Christians' and are users of a product such as BibleWorks, and justify/rationalize their theft (pirating) to themselves.

That there are such people as the above 2 groups does sadden, though not shock, me.

Gospelizer
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
I too have received unlock codes without BDAG and HALOT. Just contacted support a half hour ago. No response yet. Boy! Are they slow. :)

Dr. Bob Payne
http://bereanbaptistbelleville.org

jfidel
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Actually, I e mailed them several days ago without a response. I called them and the mail box is full... I know they are busy, but this is not the level of service we have come to know and expect.

SCSaunders
01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
It seems that consistently the module requests emailed to BW are all with regard to BDAG & HALOT. A little to much "coincidence" for me.

So, I'm currently [only two days now] running BW8 on one machine w/o the above and BW7 on another with. Plus, I've got the hard copies on my book shelf.

In the erstwhile, I'm WAITING EXPECTANTLY TO HEAR SOMETHING INTERESTING.

No way these guys would make this one same mistake over and over with everyone's order. A sound reason is coming.

Proof you ask? All I can offer is my personal track record with them since version 4.

We'll see. JMHO.

Ken Neighoff
01-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I received BDAG and HALOT codes on the email that I received from BW. In fact I got the email with the codes BEFORE, three hours before, I received the notification email that BW8 was being shipped.

Sansom48
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
It seems that consistently the module requests emailed to BW are all with regard to BDAG & HALOT. A little to much "coincidence" for me.

So, I'm currently [only two days now] running BW8 on one machine w/o the above and BW7 on another with. Plus, I've got the hard copies on my book shelf.

In the erstwhile, I'm WAITING EXPECTANTLY TO HEAR SOMETHING INTERESTING.

No way these guys would make this one same mistake over and over with everyone's order. A sound reason is coming.

Proof you ask? All I can offer is my personal track record with them since version 4.

We'll see. JMHO.

It is true, I am reading a lot of blogs and threads dealing with these lexicons, something must be going on. However, with the staff here at Bibleworks I am sure that there is a good reason for this.

Gospelizer
01-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey jfidel, please understand that I was not trying to poke fun at you, I was simply being silly.

Bob Payne

Gospelizer
01-13-2009, 03:04 PM
jfidel, I was thinking you were the one who originally posted, and you thought I was making light of what you said. I guess there was no misunderstanding except on my part. Oops! Old age, I guess!

Gospelizer
01-13-2009, 03:16 PM
I have been with BibleWorks since 3.0 or 3.5, and yes, they have always been dependable. They have done a great job through the years!

Greg Ward in an earlier post mentioned that those who ordered BDAG and HALOT early on may not have had their codes recorded. They did not start doing that until later. This may explain why some of us did receive codes for the lexicons and some did not. Not sure when they first put out those two lexicons, but I do know that I ordered both of them when they first came out.

As we all wait for a response, if anyone happens to hear a reason for these omissions please let the rest of us know!

Thanks!

Bob Payne

SCSaunders
01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
... Oops! Old age, I guess!If I'm making an erroneous assumption about whether you need Grecian Formula or not, I apologize. No harm nor foul was intended.

But old age ain't bad.

First of all, you made it and congratulations!

Second of all ...

Proverbs 16:31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life.

Proverbs 20:29 The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.

SCSaunders
01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
I received BDAG and HALOT codes on the email that I received from BW. In fact I got the email with the codes BEFORE, three hours before, I received the notification email that BW8 was being shipped.Very good news. Awesome. The light at the end of the tunnel, for the rest of us, is not the front of an oncoming train.

Eric
01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
It's just a guess, but I suspect that there is a problem with knowing who purchased what modules in the past.

They probably have record of all the purchases, but not necessarily able to easily identify multiple purchases to a single user. For example, I purchased BDAG when BW5 was the most current. I believe I registered, but if that registration was not associated with my subsequent BW6, BW7, and BW8 purchases as the same user (and not different users) they would have no way to know that when I purchased BW8, I am the same person who purchased BW5 and BDAG. This is a common problem with computer records - multiple records for the same user.

I don't know that this is the case, but I do suspect it. If it is the case, I think we should just be patient as they try to solve the problem. They are most likely overwhelmed right now. I'm confident that whatever the issue, they will solve it as soon as they are able.

We all appreciate the unsurpassed value and service that BW provides. In times like these, I think we should return the appreciation with patience.

Ken Neighoff
01-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I have been using BW since version 5. I bought BDAG and HALOT for BW7, so when I got the new codes, it showed the old code along with the new ones.

Michael Hanel
01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
The main BibleWorks website does have this word at the top of it:

January 12, 2009 Shipment Status: BibleWorks 8 began shipping on January 5, 2009. Orders are being fulfilled first for those having paid for expedited shipment and then regular orders (3-5 business days in the US, 6-10 business days international) in the order received. Because of the volume of orders, it will take several days for all orders to be shipped. Thank you for your patience.

If you can remember back to the BW7 release days, they actually ran out of the first printing of CDs to ship and had a slight delay for beta-testers because they had to wait for their next shipment to arrive. I'm guessing from the signs of email-boxes and voice-mails being clogged, that they're actually really really busy right now and not out at the bars celebrating (at least not quite yet...).

Ken Neighoff
01-13-2009, 03:56 PM
only a Sushi bar, I believe.....

jfidel
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I do not have a problem with the fact that the BDAG and HALOT may have been overlooked. I am beginning to have a problem with the delay in responding to the e mails and a full mail box. I understand they are busy and will wait, but would love some reply.

SCSaunders
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
only a Sushi bar, I believe.....Candy bar?

pstrickert
01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I do not have a problem with the fact that the BDAG and HALOT may have been overlooked. I am beginning to have a problem with the delay in responding to the e mails and a full mail box. I understand they are busy and will wait, but would love some reply.

I agree. Even an automated e-mail response would be better than no response whatsoever. How do I even know my messages were received?

Greg Ward
01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
If you've been a long time owner of BDAG/HALOT, you might remember that BW did not have order records nor copies of your unlock code. If you lost the code, it was like taking a book off your shelf and throwing it in the trashman's truck-it was gone! Since then, they began tracking who had ordered what modules, later, who had what unlock codes, and, now, BW8 activation codes. This of course helps the forgetful or unorganized user and also protects the copyright holders/licensers.

If you have owned modules for some years, BW may not know you have them or what your code was. My suggestion is to provide the relevant information (previous BW s/n, BW8 activation code, and original unlock codes) to service@bibleworks.com and ask for a BW8 code for that module. Then be patient and wait.

Remember the few service personnel are trying to serve everyone (potential customers asking questions!!!; impatient-mailbox-watchers; need-help-installers; and those of us who need one more piece to make our BW8 puzzle complete). Compared to eternal values, a few more days of waiting for a computer program is rather insignificant.

Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace,
comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work. (2Th 2:16-17 NKJ)

Gospelizer
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
No, no...they can take their time....QUICKLY! :)

Greg, didn't you get your lexicons in an earlier version as well? Presumably then, you did not receive the unlock codes either, did you?

Bob Payne

jfidel
01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Greg, your position is appreciated. However, dropping in here and making a quick post that they are aware of the problem and they expect to have the news codes out by a certain date would be helpful.

BDAG and HALOT are the two most important lexicons in BW. Working without them is not the end of the world, but be certain they are missed.

SkipB
01-13-2009, 11:30 PM
My disks arrived 24 hours before the shipping notice. Then 24 hours later I got my codes for the material from version 7. I was prepared to wait a while for a response to my enquiry about the missing HALOT and BDAG codes. But I had an answer to my email by the time I came back from making a cup of coffee. I find it amazing that they were so responsive and friendly in the midst of all the work to get this version into our hands.

jfidel
01-14-2009, 11:17 AM
E mail received and problem resolved. BW is still the best in customer service.

MBushell
01-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi All,

We must continue to ask for patience as office staff works their way through an onslaught of messages, while they continue to try to get the backlog of orders processed. Keep in mind that sending messages asking where your codes or program are only delays them more.

New activation codes were sent out automatically to all holders of old codes if they were recorded properly in our database when they were purchased. In some cases the purchase may have been recorded incorrectly, or the purchaser may have spelled something incorrectly. These cases have to be handled oner at a time and the office staff have their hands full. We apologize for the delays but they are dealing with a lot os issues.

The purpose of the new codes is to stop piracy, or at least slow it down. An increasing number of people have no respect for the labor of others, as evidenced by some comments even on this forum. Professor Danker spent his whole life working on the BDB Lexicon, and to say that because it is a New Testament lexicon it is OK to steal his work and not compensate him (and his publisher, the University of Chicago) shows little understanding of Biblical ethics. Scribes in both testaments were paid for their work. They had to eat. We are 21st century scribes and we have to eat too. We are sensitive to the issues. That is why we don't charge extra for Bible versions even though we have to pay royalties on them. But the theft of the program and modules is rampant and we had to do something. It is just sad that all our users have to suffer inconvenience because of the criminal behaviour of some people. We are sorry for the inconvenience that this causes legitimate users, but it is unavoidable in this fallen world.

Mike

Gospelizer
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Mike:

Thanks for your reply.

Hey, what if my congregation said that because I preach the Word of God that I don't have to get paid? Yikes! No, those men deserve the reward for their labor.

What I did was to email my old BW7 codes to support so that in time they can get me the new BW8 codes for BDAG and HALOT. I will have to stick with BW7 until I get the new codes since I use those two lexicons constantly.

I think that most understand the dilemma that the tiny support staff has in answering all of the customer's emails. No sweat. Just make it quick....OK! ;)

Bob Payne
http://bereanbaptistbelleville.org
http://www.ibfna.org

Gospelizer
01-14-2009, 11:42 AM
BTW, Mike, any chance of getting back Word Pictures in the future?

BP

bshauger
01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
In response to Mike Bushell's comments on patience - you know we love all of you at Bibleworks for doing a wonderful job! Its a treasure to have so many wonderful tools at our hands to work with God's Word. I hope and pray the rush of excitement and pressure of issues with this new version doesn't overwhelm you all!

I used to teach a session every year in Theological Research Methods at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School solely focused on copywrite and software piracy. It seems it is too easy for some to rationalize that because they have little money and they are doing the Lord's work that gaining easy access to "work" without paying for it is a "blessing" from the Lord. The amount of work put into programs and dbases utilized by BWW and other programs is tremendous. The workers are surely worthy of their keep! I am so glad to see a number of posts here that respect that!

If I had to buy all the books that BWW utilizes (I did have to buy some while in seminary because they were not electronic at the time) it would cost me far more than BWW! But the time that BWW saves each of us is precious allowing us to do a better job with God's Word.

The staff persons of Bibleworks are special in my book!

Gospelizer
01-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Ditto, bshauger!

SCSaunders
01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
E mail received and problem resolved. BW is still the best in customer service.Nicely done!:)

SCSaunders
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
New activation codes were sent out automatically to all holders of old codes if they were recorded properly in our database when they were purchased. In some cases the purchase may have been recorded incorrectly, or the purchaser may have spelled something incorrectly. These cases have to be handled oner at a time and the office staff have their hands full. We apologize for the delays but they are dealing with a lot os issues.
....Mike,

I just checked my account. I don't see a way to ensure that I entered my module stuff correctly. I certainly don't mind taking the time to double-check my work, correcting any mistakes.

They transferred smoothly enough from version 5 to version 6 and from 6 to 7.

Scott

revaaron
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
What was odd for me was that with the shipped email, I also received an email with unlock codes for several modules that I did not order (I didn't order any with the upgrade, and don't worry I won't be using them as I am in agreement with others regarding piracy). But still have not received an email response regarding my BDAG and HALOT codes from BW7. Anyone else receive similar messages?

bshauger
01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
What was odd for me was that with the shipped email, I also received an email with unlock codes for several modules that I did not order (I didn't order any with the upgrade, and don't worry I won't be using them as I am in agreement with others regarding piracy). But still have not received an email response regarding my BDAG and HALOT codes from BW7. Anyone else receive similar messages?

That's exactly my situation. I started to copy the codes in and then saw the descriptions and realized they weren't mine. I had to cancel the install to flush them out of the box. I started over and didn't enter any module codes while sending an email reply back with the unlock code email. I had Halot, BDAG and one other module. I can wait...I know BWW will make it right.

Gospelizer
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
There are some freebies that BW8 upgrade customers are getting. I fished around and found them all on the web site and forum. They are legal for upgrade customers. Here are the details for the "freebies" ("complimentary unlocks") that I received:

METZ (http://store.bibleworks.com/product52.html)
LUTB (Lutherbibel) (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987)
LEHS (http://store.bibleworks.com/product51.html)
BNGD (http://store.bibleworks.com/product53.html)

Bottom line...you are not stealing, it is the generosity of the BW staff. Enjoy!

Bob Payne

bshauger
01-14-2009, 01:48 PM
These are the four I received. Do you have a reference somewhere that says these were "gifts"? Sorry...I see it now.....in your one reference....

The fifth one was actually a module I had purchased. I didn't receive the Halot/BDAG unlock though.

Jim Wert
01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
These 4 modules were included in the base price of BW7. (A significant portion of BW's purchase price must be for royalties for the things they decide to include.) They are extra price add-ons for BW8. BW must have decided to include other royalties instead in the base price of BW8. So just as you get to keep BDAG because you already paid the royalty, you get to keep Metzger et al because you have paid the royalties. Note that people upgrading from BW6 don't get them -- these royalties were not included in their base price.

I give BW points for integrity for handling it this way.
I give them points for generosity for their overall pricing policy.

Shalom,
Jim

Gospelizer
01-14-2009, 02:24 PM
The fifth one was actually a module I had purchased. I didn't receive the Halot/BDAG unlock though.

Make sure that you email support your old BDAG/HALOT codes and they will eventually supply you with the new ones.

BP

bshauger
01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Make sure that you email support your old BDAG/HALOT codes and they will eventually supply you with the new ones.

BP

Thanks, will do!

revaaron
01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
There are some freebies that BW8 upgrade customers are getting. I fished around and found them all on the web site and forum. They are legal for upgrade customers. Here are the details for the "freebies" ("complimentary unlocks") that I received:

METZ (http://store.bibleworks.com/product52.html)
LUTB (Lutherbibel) (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987)
LEHS (http://store.bibleworks.com/product51.html)
BNGD (http://store.bibleworks.com/product53.html)

Bottom line...you are not stealing, it is the generosity of the BW staff. Enjoy!

Bob Payne

Ok, that makes sense. These are the unlock codes I received.

calvary
01-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Much to my dismay, I just discovered that I also have not received my BDAG and HALOT unlock codes. I didn't even notice at first that they weren't included in the large list I was emailed. I thought maybe I just forgot to load the data bases from the cd's when I installed. So I stuck the install cd back in to see if I could just install those data bases, and discovered that they weren't on the list of available data bases under lexicons. Is this just because the list will only include the data bases I've already loaded? Like maybe I'll have to uninstall ver 8 and reinstall in order to have them appear in the list? Does this make sense?

Anyone had this situation? :confused:

Thanks,
Dave

pastor-steve
01-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, I've owned BW4, 5, 6, and 7 and just now received my upgrade to BW 8, but I didn't get any module unlock codes (including my BDAG and HALOT that I bought way back in BW6 days).

Could it be because I moved and my shipping address has changed? I assumed they were attached to our serial numbers rather than addresses...

Do I need to request the "upgrade" unlock codes from customer support along with my BDAG and HALOT codes?

Anyway, I guess the caution is unless you already have your new module unlock codes, DON'T INSTALL BW8 if you will need to use BW soon (as I need to for Sunday's sermon!) I'll try to be patient :-)

Thanks,

Steve

bshauger
01-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi David:

Check the Prior Unlock Codes thread - I put my time line on there. I received my Halot and BDAG unlocks this morning, I hadn't received them with the other unlocks. BWW said they were having trouble with their automated system pulling up the older codes but as I can testify, they have come through today!

I think you'll need to put in your BWW 8 disk, run the install, select Modify and then activate the dbases once you get your unlock codes. I did that for the Futato module I had purchased after I already had BWW 8 installed.

bshauger
01-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Well, I've owned BW4, 5, 6, and 7 and just now received my upgrade to BW 8, but I didn't get any module unlock codes (including my BDAG and HALOT that I bought way back in BW6 days).

Could it be because I moved and my shipping address has ahcnged? I assumed they were attached to our serial numbers rather than addresses...

Do I need to request the "upgrade" unlock codes from customer support along with my BDAG and HALOT codes?

Anyway, I guess the caution is unless you already have your new module unlock codes, DON'T INSTALL BW8 if you will need to use BW soon (as I need to for Sunday's sermon!)

Thanks,

Steve

Here's the probable reason, Steve:

"Thanks for writing, and we're sorry you had this difficulty. Our records of some modules that were acquired long ago were buried too deeply to allow the automatic code transmission program to find them. You'll find the codes you need in the table below: please unlock them all to ensure your access to all the texts due you."

Be patient, they'll make it right.

Michael Hanel
01-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Could it be because I moved and my shipping address has ahcnged? I assumed they were attached to our serial numbers rather than addresses...

Anyway, I guess the caution is unless you already have your new module unlock codes, DON'T INSTALL BW8 if you will need to use BW soon (as I need to for Sunday's sermon!)

Thanks,

Steve

If you've already received all your unlock codes sans HALOT or BDAG, it appears that what most people have done is to email BibleWorks support with the codes that they used for older versions of BibleWorks. If you do that, then they can email you the new codes. I don't know that this is the "official" policy, but it seems this is what others have had success at doing. It does clog their email more, but it at least makes them aware of the fact that you are still missing those codes.

Or listen to what Bruce said. It sounds like his word is a bit more official :)

bshauger
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Michael:

I was only quoting my official nice email from their General Manager.....:)

I did actually respond to the first unlock email with my old unlock codes as I mentioned in the Prior Unlock Codes thread.

I really like the little I have seen with the new version except that it sounds like some things changed. Hopefully they are not my favorite features ;).

I do wish some enhancements would be added to use this wonderful scholar package in a way that you could produce some data for lay folks....I put my request in anyway!

pastor-steve
01-17-2009, 09:56 PM
If you've already received all your unlock codes sans HALOT or BDAG, it appears that what most people have done is to email BibleWorks support with the codes that they used for older versions of BibleWorks. If you do that, then they can email you the new codes. I don't know that this is the "official" policy, but it seems this is what others have had success at doing. It does clog their email more, but it at least makes them aware of the fact that you are still missing those codes.

Or listen to what Bruce said. It sounds like his word is a bit more official :)

BDAG and HALOT are the only modules I've purchased, but I didn't receive any unlock codes at all with my upgrade. I thought maybe I messed up the automation by moving three times since I bougth BW4! :-)

I sent my support request yesterday, and I'll be patient. I just wanted people to know that if they need to use their unlocked modules for their daily work, they should request the codes first and then install BW8.

Yours in Christ,

Steve

bshauger
01-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi Steve:

Let's see, BWW 4....I've moved 5 or 6 times maybe since BWW 4. I feel fortunate in that I not only received the BWW7-8 unlock codes when my order shipped but also received yesterday my BDAG and Halot unlocks. They are working on it. Their automated system evidently wasn't able to pull up the older codes. Did you see the announcment on the BibleWorks Home page?

Mark R. Ensign
01-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Yesterday I received an email with new BW8 codes for four modules it said I purchased for previous versions. But I do not recognize the module abbreviations. The email listed METZ, LUTB, LEHS, BNGD. Those don't correspond to any that I can see on the list of modules for BW7. Can someone translate what modules those are?

I have installed and unlocked on BW7 HALOT, BDAG and FBHG.

Further, I've received no email about my order being shipped. Seems that getting codes but no shipping email is a bit backwards from what others have experienced. So we'll wait patiently for communication or a package to arrive.

Thank God for his wonderful servants at BibleWorks. How about a moment of thanksgiving for God empowering them to provide this amazing tool to help us use and understand his Word and for their responding to the challenge?

Mark R. Ensign
Amarillo, TX

Adamsen
01-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Yesterday I received an email with new BW8 codes for four modules it said I purchased for previous versions. But I do not recognize the module abbreviations. The email listed METZ, LUTB, LEHS, BNGD. Those don't correspond to any that I can see on the list of modules for BW7. Can someone translate what modules those are?

Mark R. Ensign
Amarillo, TX

Metzger is Metzger's Textual Commentary that BW had licensed for all users of BW7. As regards BW8, it is an optional module. BW has decided to give BW7-users a complimentary license so that we will not have "less" resources than in BW7.

The same is true, I think, for the Luther Bibel of 1984, the Lust-Eynickel-Hauspie Septuagint Lexicon and Barclay Newman's Greek Dictionary.

Enjoy!

Georg

SCSaunders
01-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Metzger is Metzger's Textual Commentary that BW had licensed for all users of BW7. As regards BW8, it is an optional module. BW has decided to give BW7-users a complimentary license so that we will not have "less" resources than in BW7.

The same is true, I think, for the Luther Bibel of 1984, the Lust-Eynickel-Hauspie Septuagint Lexicon and Barclay Newman's Greek Dictionary.

Enjoy!

GeorgCheck posts #44-#47 of this thread, starting here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15963&postcount=44).

Off to church. My daughters are finally "ready." That's my real patience test, way more so than these codes.:):p;)

Dale A. Brueggemann
01-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm a big fan of BW, from BW 3 onward. And I've been a big fan of BW customer support. But the shipping and handling of the unlock modules for BW 8 has clearly been a disaster. They need to do a serious re-think on how they handle their unlock codes. It's really inexcusable.

Makes me glad I've held off on ordering BW 8, following my usual policy of never being an early adopter of a new version of anything.

Gospelizer
01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Received my BDAG and HALOT codes today via email! Thank-you, Lord!

brainout
03-08-2011, 02:50 AM

Yes, sir, you are misreading. I didn't even know about your quote, either, until today when searching for something else. Nothing in my quote implied that there was anything amiss about the wonderful BibleWorks people or the procedure of having unlock codes. My post back in 2009 was a speculation on how you USE those codes.

And, in fact, I now own BibleWorks 8 full version separately, with all the purchasable modules except the Dead Sea Scrolls and two others I already have in hardback. So yeah, it is different in BW8, and yeah, I purchased BDAG and HALOT again and gladly.

I apologize for not replying until now.