PDA

View Full Version : Printing out parsing- a non-BW8 question

Ben Spackman
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
A friend asked me if it were possible to print off all the verbal forms with parsing from passages.

I don't think there's a real way to do this, is there?

That is, have the form (from WTT) next to the parsing (from WTM), arranged by chapter/verse.

Any ideas? I've a few, but wanted to see what the forum suggests.

Thanks

Glenn Weaver
01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Ben,

I think the KWIC module will provide the information you want. Here's how to do it, using Gen 1:1-1:3 as the search range:

Open the KWIC module. Under Options on the KWIC window select "Display Brother Text (in KWIC)".

Set the WTM as your search version. Set the verse range to Gen 1:1-1:3. In the Word box enter *@v* (without the underlining, of course). This will search for all the verbs in the WTM in that passage.

Set the Left words to 0, the Right words to 0, and the codes to a large number, like 30. Now click Build.

In the upper window will be the list of all the verbs in the passage, arranged according to appearance in the text. The display text is the WTT. Place your cursor in the upper window, then open the context menu and select "Copy Enter KWIC List to Clipboard (formatted)". Open a word processor, and create a 2-column table, with one row. Paste the KWIC results into the left column. (Because of the nature of Hebrew words, with prefixes, suffixes, etc., you may have some lines that do not have a word. You can play with the Left and Right settings to get them all, though then you will have extra words displayed.)

Return to the KWIC window, and under Options uncheck "Display Brother Text (in KWIC)". Now press Build, and the WTM results display. By having the Codes set to a large number, you will have the full list of parsing codes displayed. You can cut this list shorter, if you like. Copy this list out of the upper KWIC window, then paste the list into the right column of the table. Now you have the form on the left side, with the lemma and parsing on the right side. Adjust the column widths so that the corresponding form and lemma align with one another.

I don't know of a way to display the codes expanded, but it won't take long to get used to the codes and what they mean.

Here is a sample of the output: