PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Colour Hit Highlighting

dmiller
12-15-2008, 10:10 AM
It would be nifty if 'or' searches highlighted occurrences of different words using different colours (both in the list of verse results and in the verse itself). Say, for example, that I am searching for all occurrences of Ioudaios and Israel in 1 Maccabees: It would be great to be able to see at a glance the frequency and interaction between the two terms.

dmiller

MGVH
12-15-2008, 01:22 PM
You can get the results you want, but it is a couple more steps than running an "OR" search and have the various elements highlighted differently.
http://www.scrollandscreen.com/images/bwioudisr.jpg
What you do is:

run a search for .israhl
Use Tools > Color selection window (or click on the down arrow by the Color Selection button in the toolbar)
Create a new "color file to save color data" and label it israel
Select background / text colors and attributes
Apply and close
Repeat the process for .ioudaia (there is only 1 instance of ioudaios, so I'm guessing you meant ioudaia), but change bckgd / color choice

dmiller
12-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the tip, Mark. That's helpful--but still way too complicated for me to use, especially when I'm looking for a *quick* overview of my search results.

dmiller
08-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I am now trying to implement the instructions Mark provided back in December, but I still can't get it to work:

I can do a search for 'Galilaia' in JOM, create a new color file, select a new color for search results, apply and close. The word now displays nicely in JOS as well as JOM.

I can do the same thing for 'Galilaios'. All well and good.

Then I do an 'or' (/) search for 'Galilaia' and 'Galiaios' so that I can see all passages where both terms appear. Ideally, each term will show up in a different color, but by this time the coloring I did earlier has disappeared. If I try to apply a color to search results both terms show up in the same color.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

David

MGVH
08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi, David,
Actually, BW is behaving exactly the way it should using the steps you do.
I thought it might be easier to do a quick screencast to show how to get the results I think you want.
HERE (http://screencast.com/t/r5xUWunXXoi) it is.
I think you'll see that it is fairly easy to do once you sort of understand what BW is trying to do for you. Hope that is it.
Video is on 1:38 and that includes a lot of explanation. Video should stream quite quickly.

dmiller
08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks, Mark, for your excellent video!

I wanted to do one more step, which was to do a combined 'or' search for both Galilaios and Galilaia so that I could scroll through all occurrences at once. The problem is that when I performed this final search the coloring disappeared. Fortunately, the pesky pop-up message in your video gave me the clue: "Note that since hit highlighting has precedence over color filters, when you add hits to a color file, the current search results information will be removed from memory so you can see the new colors."

Once I turned off hit highlighting*, everything worked fine. Unfortunately, hit highlighting is tied to computing hits in the search window, but I can live with that.

*Un-check "always compute hits for command line searches" in the command line search options menu.

Thanks again!

David

ISalzman
08-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi, David,
Actually, BW is behaving exactly the way it should using the steps you do.
I thought it might be easier to do a quick screencast to show how to get the results I think you want.
HERE (http://screencast.com/t/r5xUWunXXoi) it is.
I think you'll see that it is fairly easy to do once you sort of understand what BW is trying to do for you. Hope that is it.
Video is on 1:38 and that includes a lot of explanation. Video should stream quite quickly.

That was an extremely cool video if you don't mind my interjecting on this thread here. Thanks!