PDA

View Full Version : License Exchange

Van Parunak
12-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm probably not the only BibleWorks user who owns separately purchased licenses to reference works (in my case, Wallace, Waltke-O'Connor, and Jouon-Muraoka) that will be superfluous once I get BW8. There's probably another class of users who are remaining with previous versions of BW because, for them, the cost of upgrading is prohibitive. I'd like to see my old licenses go to a good cause.

If you'd like one of these licenses, please tell me a bit about yourself and convince me that you would make good use of them. Once my new BW arrives, I'll select recipients and send out my unlock keys.

And if you have licenses that you no longer need due to the increased scope of BW8, please respond to this post so that others can find you.

Ben Spackman
12-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm in the same boat, but am unsure of the legality of following through with your suggestion. Perhaps someone from BW can chime in?

tcblack
12-11-2008, 11:42 AM
This always seems to be something of a gray area in dealing with digital books. On the one hand it's like giving a way a book you're done reading. On the other it falls under EULA's and as well as the behind the scenes negotiations that take place when a book is digitized in the first place.
Like you Ben, I'm interested to see what BW staff has to say.

Mark Eddy
12-11-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm not on the BW staff, but in beta testing we learned that all the unlock codes for BW 8 are different from what they were for BW 6 & 7. So if there is to be any giving away of codes, I would guess that it would have to be done by BW staff takiing the code which they would have sent you and sending it to someone else whom you designate. This would involve getting both user numbers correct. I don't think BW has a mechanism for doing this. I only know that it will be useless for you to give your BW7 codes away, if the person who gets the codes is updating to BW8. But as well-integrated as BW add-ons are, I would prefer to keep the BW codes and see if you could get rid of the unlocks for brand X.
Mark Eddy

Adelphos
12-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm not on the BW staff, but in beta testing we learned that all the unlock codes for BW 8 are different from what they were for BW 6 & 7.

Does that mean we will need NEW unlock codes for the modules that are not affected, i.e., for BDAG & HALOT, for example?

Mark Eddy
12-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Does that mean we will need NEW unlock codes for the modules that are not affected, i.e., for BDAG & HALOT, for example?
Yes. You will need new unlock codes for all the modules which you have purchased previously. However, BW will automatically send you the new unlock codes for all the modules you purchased from them in the past (as long as they have a record of it) as well as sending the unlock codes for any new additions. If you bought the unlock codes in some unstandard way, then they won't have a record of the purchase, and you'll have some explaining to do. But it shouldn't be a problem for registered users.
Mark Eddy

Adelphos
12-11-2008, 10:54 PM
If you bought the unlock codes in some unstandard way, then they won't have a record of the purchase, and you'll have some explaining to do. But it shouldn't be a problem for registered users.

As far as I know I bought 'em the standard way, i.e., I sent them a few whole Tomball turkeys, several dozen fresh eggs, a box of canteloupes, and maybe a few packets of sugar, and then they sent me the codes.

IOW, the same way I intend to upgrade. :eek: