PDA

View Full Version : BHT Module

stbasil
12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I have used with some degree of consistency the BHT module (Hebrew transliteration) and have found it to be one of the better transliterations of the Hebrew Bible available. I would like to find more information about it, such as 1) Who produced it? 2) When was it produced? 3) What grammatical principles guided its production? 4) Were decisions concerning vowels made by a computer or by individuals?

I would be grateful if anyone could assist me.
Regards
Panos

Dale A. Brueggemann
12-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I would prefer to see the SBL transliteration scheme in BHT, and to see an export option that allowed Phil Payne's transliteration font as the exported font for the ability to print elegant transliteration in italics in a document.

David Kummerow
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Here's the information from the help file:

BHT - Transliterated BHS Hebrew Old Testament 2001. BHT database is Copyright © 2001 by Matthew Anstey. Copyright is also claimed for future official revisions of the database as released by Matthew Anstey. This database used as its base the CCAT Michigan-Claremont-Westminster electronic database. This was used freely with the kind permission of the German Bible Society. The Hebrew vowels have been disambiguated, through much effort.

These days, Matthew has done additional work on representing BH text for linguists.

Anstey, Matthew P. 2005. “Towards a Typological Presentation of Tiberian Hebrew.” Hebrew Studies 46: 71-128.
Anstey, Matthew P. 2006. “Towards a Functional Discourse Grammar Analysis of Tiberian Hebrew.” Published PhD diss., Vrije Universiteit.

He is also currently working on a BH grammar in typological format and work for this has meant that he has slightly modified the scheme as proposed in the references above. This also means that he may well choose to "transliterate" differently now than what he did back in 2001.

I currently have access to version 1.0.0 of his Anstey Interlinear Morphemic Transliterated Biblical Hebrew database (AIMTBH), the advanced representation for linguists which will be used in his grammar. The final version would be a great addition to BW.

Regards,
David.

stbasil
12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.
Panos