PDA

View Full Version : BW8- Various questions and suggestions

Ben Spackman
11-30-2008, 01:38 PM
A brief list. I don't know if these are in BW8. If so great, but if not, they're small (I hope!) tweaks I'd suggest. ANd I understand if they're too difficult to implement on the short term.

1) Root searching in Hebrew/Aramaic- that is, provide a root like mlk and find all the words that use mlk as a root- melek, malka, malkut, mamlekah, etc. This is probably my toughest suggestion, as it might require someone to come up with a list, or database tweaks.

The rest are easier.

2) Note information. I'd like some way to look at my browse window and see what verses/chapters have notes associated with them, without mousing over the verse. Perhaps the verse number could be highlighted with a green circle if there's a verse note with it, or something of that nature.

3) Verse highlighting in grammatical resources- Particularly with Hebrew, grammatical sections can be so short that the window cannot open to putting the actual verse at the top. This means one must scan through what is often MANY verses listed to find the one you're looking for. (I mentioned this to Glenn at the SBL booth.)

4) Find similar verses in different versions- My understanding is that the new Phrase Matching/Related Verse tool only works within a version. Could this be made to work with two versions? Doing so would let me search for OT allusions in the Dead Sea Scrolls, OT or NT allusions in Josephus, etc. Very useful.

I look forward to upgrading, as soon as it's available and I have the money! Many thanks to the programmers!

MBushell
12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
There are certainly plans to make it work across versions. It will be a free update early in 2009 - that's my best guess. Michael Tan wrote the code so he'll have to provide a better estimate. But I think that's reasonable, especially if the feature is popular (and I think it will be).
Mike

Eric
12-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Here is one "vote" to work across versions. That would be outstanding!

I know that many have said it, but the incredible value that is BibleWorks is simply unmatched anywhere. I know of no other situation where there is this kind of interaction between the users and the Company. It just seems unreal, but having been a BibleWorks user for many years, I know it is true. Where can you buy an upgrade and continue to get further features after you get the program...

I continue to be amazed... Thanks seems to be inadequate...

By the way, any ETA for shipping? :o

Todd Price
12-04-2008, 05:38 AM
I would also like to see the suggestions mentioned by Ben.

David Kummerow
12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
1) Root searching in Hebrew/Aramaic- that is, provide a root like mlk and find all the words that use mlk as a root- melek, malka, malkut, mamlekah, etc.

I would love to see this feature, too!

Regards,
David.