PDA

View Full Version : Selecting words and letters

wie
11-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I just ordered.
I tried hard, but I couldn't resist.

:)

Regarding the problem noted by DimBibmleby (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3362) that he had problems selecting complete words, I must admit that I have this problem, too, from time to time. Selecting text it often happens that not the complete word is selected but one letter is missing.

I suggest therefore the following option:
Select full words only in the Results window.
This would mean that whenever one is selecting text in the Results window and the mouse moves over part of a word only it is completely selected.

I also suggest another option:
Automatically copy the phrase found to the clipboard.
This would mean that when I search for something and it is found, the found phrase is automatically copied to the clipboard.

What do you think?

MBushell
11-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I just ordered.
I tried hard, but I couldn't resist.

:)

Regarding the problem noted by DimBibmleby (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3362) that he had problems selecting complete words, I must admit that I have this problem, too, from time to time. Selecting text it often happens that not the complete word is selected but one letter is missing.

I suggest therefore the following option:
Select full words only in the Results window.
This would mean that whenever one is selecting text in the Results window and the mouse moves over part of a word only it is completely selected.

I also suggest another option:
Automatically copy the phrase found to the clipboard.
This would mean that when I search for something and it is found, the found phrase is automatically copied to the clipboard.

What do you think?

Wieland,

I think this would annoy as many people as it would help. But we'll take a look at it after we start shipping. In any case the highlighting issue should be fixed, both in the latest version 7 executable and in version 8. If that is not the case let me know and we'll take another look at it.

I think you'll like the release!

Mike

Adelphos
11-29-2008, 06:45 PM
I think this would annoy as many people as it would help.

Too true. I would definitely not want "Select Whole Words" to be mandated, as there have been numerous times when I've searched for only partial words.

And as you said, the selection/copy problem is now a moot issue, so I'm not sure that making the above an option would be all that productive, as you can just select the whole word yourself in virtually the exact same time that it takes you to select only a partial word.

It would be better to concentrate on major features, such as the PrMT -- no, not the Phrase Matching Tool, but the Prophecy Matching Tool, where, when you start up BW -- and throughout your session -- BW would automatically search the world news on the web in the background while BW is running, and then match the current topics with the appropriate verses, and then display said verses in a dynamic popup window.

Stuff like that. :cool:

But for now, I can't wait to get my hands on the PMT and the RVT and the other features that make BW8 the best Bible software value in the entire Milky Way Galaxy.

wie
11-30-2008, 05:35 AM
Well, in my view there is little need for selecting part of a word in the Results window. You cannot search for it, because there will be no hits, in 99,9% of the cases.
I must ask you: Did you ever use that? In what way?

Selecting full words would make the selection much faster, because you don't have to carefully look to get the selction right.

And if you don't want this, it would only be an option.

spitzerpl
11-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Did you ever use that? In what way?

I too would not care for this feature. Actually just yesterday or the day before I was in MS Word trying to select only part of a word and it kept highlighting it all. I can't remember the exact reason why I was trying it off hand. I certainly appreciate your opinion on this but personally I would not want it, nor would I want another option I have to find. I would rather have to deal with the headache of re-selecting what I miss-selected, which is an easy fix, then being unable due to programming to select what I intended to select, even if that is only a factor on rare occasions.

wie
11-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Well, Word is a different matter altogether, of course.
Why would one want to select only part of a word in the Results window?
The main reasons for selecting are

a) defining a search phrase
and
b) copying text for inserting it into another program.

In both cases only selecting full words makes sense.

And, as I said, if you don't like this feature, I suggested it as an option only.

Adelphos
11-30-2008, 11:29 AM
I must ask you: Did you ever use that? In what way?

Scores of times. For example, in Hebrew you can search for certain prefix forms or affix forms without typing on the CL, along with words separated by maqqef, and numerous other applications. Of course, this still only works when you get hits for whole words, but the results can sometimes be revealing, especially when you get no hits.

Being forced to select whole words would diminish BW's search capabilities, not enhance it.

Edit:

As an example of a partial selection search, go to Genesis 1:1 and select only the first three letters of the last word in WTT, then right-click and choose Search For Phrase.

tcblack
12-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Being forced to select whole words would diminish BW's search capabilities, not enhance it.
I wouldn't prefer the select whole words feature either. But if useful and the desire to code such a feature ever overcomes you, be sure to include a switch to shut it off. :-)