PDA

View Full Version : Help with search: Word order culling valid results?

DimBimbleby
11-24-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm trying to find all instances of רעע in the hiphil followed by ל+ something. I switch to the WTM database and run the following command line: <'רעע@vh* *3 ל@*> (not including the angle brackets). I get 19 hits, but the search misses Gen 19:9, among others.

So I try the graphical search engine. I set up a word box for רעע@vh*, another for ל@*, connect them to an AND operator, link them with an ordering box set to 1-3 words distant. This query gives me 10 hits (8 verses) and also misses Gen 19:9.

How can I set up a search to find all the instances of this collocation, including Gen 19:9?

I suspect the trouble with Gen 19:9 is that it contains several lamedh prepositions. Perhaps the word ordering box is detecting that a lamedh exists before the verb and therefore rejects the verse (even though another lamedh does exist right after the verb and thus should make the verse be included). Perhaps? Or maybe it's something simpler I'm just missing?

DimBimbleby
11-24-2008, 11:50 PM
I think I discovered my mistake on the graphical side. I wanted "between 0-3" words rather than "between 1-3" words. It's the number of intervening words, excluding the words themselves, so the distance between two adjacent words is considered "0".

Michael Hanel
11-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Reverse your order. Try this:
'(lamed)@* *3 (ayin-ayin-resh)@vh*

Greg Ward
11-25-2008, 06:33 AM
For a fast search with more information about the distribution of lamed with resh-ayin-ayin you could use the KWIC module.
In KWIC: Select WTM for version and type r[[ in the word box and let it search. Lamed prepositon is right near the top of the list.

DimBimbleby
11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks to both. I'm getting good results now!