PDA

View Full Version : Why I WILL be upgrading to Bibleworks 8 (for $149.99)

tfjern
11-22-2008, 08:10 PM
I have been using BibleWorks for over 15 years. It is still by far the best of its kind: rapid bug fixes, responsiveness to customer requests and suggestions, and so on. I live in Korea, where, like in the rest of the world, the economy is in dire straits. Software companies, even worthy ones that produce excellent products, are collapsing right and left (so far no bailouts here).

The Korean won is dropping in value day-by-day. BibleWorks 8.0 is now 25% more expensive for me to buy than it would have been a little over a month ago (it just came out yesterday, of course). Still, Mike and his small company is worth our support and encouragement in these very hard times. So the first thing Monday I am placing my order for an upgrade. This is hardly charity. It is a wise investment, one of the few left around.

LarryW
11-22-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't use BW7 nearly enough (to my shame). Too often there's long periods between uses to the point I forget how to use the command line and have to retrain myself on using the various texts and resources.

That being said, I ordered BW8 upgrade as soon as I found out about it. And that for two reasons.

1. I'm optimistic I'll get my act together to study the Word as I know I should.

2. BibleWorks deserves as much support as they can get. I've rarely seen companies of any type (software and brick and morter) that offer the quality of support and integrity of management as they do.

Just my 2cents worth....

Larry

Michael Hanel
11-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I've been putting together posts for the blog on the new version of BibleWorks when I ran across this statement on the BibleWorks website (http://www.bibleworks.com/about.html):

The purpose of BibleWorks, LLC is to provide pastors, teachers, students, and missionaries with the tools they need to "rightly divide the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15). There are other companies that exist to do this as well, but BibleWorks comes to this task with some unique differences in approach and philosophy: We exist to serve the church, not to make a profit, and all of our business decisions are made with that in mind. Our goal is to provide a complete package containing the tools most essential for the task of interpreting the Scriptures in the original Greek and Hebrew, and to do it at a price that poor pastors and students can afford. To accomplish this task we routinely make marketing and sales decisions that many would consider to be bad business but which serve our primary goals. On the other hand, because everything that we do reflects on our real employer, the Lord Jesus Christ, it is our desire to provide a professionally executed and supported software package, while at the same time compensating employees with reasonable salaries that are competitive with the rest of the software industry. We try to treat both our customers and our employees as we would like to be treated ourselves. We are thankful that the Lord has blessed our efforts thus far and look to the future with expectations of further blessing, for as long as the Lord desires.

Is it just me or is that an amazing vision statement?

tcblack
11-23-2008, 08:03 AM
You guys beat me to the post, but I've got a three page list already of reasons to upgrade.
EDIT: Why I Will Be Upgrading to Bibleworks 8 (http://www.stilltruth.com/blog/tcblack/why-i-will-be-upgrading-bibleworks-8)

Todd Price
11-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I couldn't agree more. I can't wait to order mine this week!

tcblack
11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Just clicked the order button, now it's time to start pacing back and forth between the mail box.

calvary
11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
I have been using BibleWorks for over 15 years. It is still by far the best of its kind: rapid bug fixes, responsiveness to customer requests and suggestions, and so on. I live in Korea, where, like in the rest of the world, the economy is in dire straits. Software companies, even worthy ones that produce excellent products, are collapsing right and left (so far no bailouts here).

The Korean won is dropping in value day-by-day. BibleWorks 8.0 is now 25% more expensive for me to buy than it would have been a little over a month ago (it just came out yesterday, of course). Still, Mike and his small company is worth our support and encouragement in these very hard times. So the first thing Monday I am placing my order for an upgrade. This is hardly charity. It is a wise investment, one of the few left around.

I too have been using BW for years (since version 3). I believe it is the best out there, for all the reasons stated already. I just got back from Eastern Europe and had the opportunity of turning a few missionary pastors on to BW. I suspect they'll be purchasing it soon. I turn as many people as I can on to BW. I guess you could say I'm a BW evangelist. :)

Dave

Dan Phillips
11-25-2008, 04:55 PM
I also go 'way back -- I think to ver 3. Version 6 was a bit step up, but it was a bit buggy and awkward, like a teenager.

But with ver 7 wow, and yikes. I've raved about it at both my more major blogs, and to anyone who'd listen. Got my pastor a copy, made a total convert of him.

I love BW7. It is my main Bible for all purposes. Above all, I love user notes and editor. And the speed is amazing. If BW8 continues the trajectory, I'll love it too.

vr8ce
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Is it just me or is that an amazing vision statement? It's not just you. What's more amazing is that it's a working vision statement, i.e. it's not just printed on the website, it's actually how they do business. That may sound obvious, but too many companies have vision statements that don't reflect the reality of how they do business. BW's does.

Bennett B. Wethered
12-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I 'ditto' Dales's sentiments (from the Why I won't be upgrading to Bibleworks 8 (not for $100+ anyway) thread). From all I know of BW as a product (having owned them from 3.5 through 7), and the staff's response to problems or desires of customers, BibleWorks is a marvelous product, a great gift and tool from our Lord!

As I've titled this, the critique that launched this thread is, I think, unfair and unreasonable. The last few entries are praise, though, so future 'attaboys' should be on another thread, such as on Why I WILL be upgrading to Bibleworks 8 (for $149.99), on which I've cross-posted, so as to (hopefully) steer those who wish to praise BW, not bury it :), to a more appropriate thread.

tcblack
12-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Fanboys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy)all of ya!

Yeah, well me too.

gesnipes
12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Has the actual shipping date been announced?

I have been using BW since version 3 and there is hardly a day that goes by when I do not use it. I am chomping at the bit to try out some of the new features in ver. 8. I am glad that the NKJV finally has the strongs database!