PDA

View Full Version : Using BW on Mac with Bootcamp

Henrik
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Hello all. I am interested in using BW on a Mac with Bootcamp. I am not currently a Mac user (but am looking closely at becoming one), but understand that Bootcamp allows running Windows programs natively on Macs. Has anyone used BW this way?

I see on another thread that BW appears to run with Parallels, which appears to be an emulation package on the Mac. That's good news.

What about the mouse interface? Windows has a right and left button, but Macs don't. Don't you lose functionality then?

BTW, am looking forward to BW8.

Thanks

Michael Hanel
11-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Hello all. I am interested in using BW on a Mac with Bootcamp. I am not currently a Mac user (but am looking closely at becoming one), but understand that Bootcamp allows running Windows programs natively on Macs. Has anyone used BW this way?

I see on another thread that BW appears to run with Parallels, which appears to be an emulation package on the Mac. That's good news.

What about the mouse interface? Windows has a right and left button, but Macs don't. Don't you lose functionality then?

BTW, am looking forward to BW8.

Thanks

Quick answer from me, but you'll find a lot more users who use BW primarily on a Mac. My wife uses BibleWorks on a Mac. First we used only Bootcamp and had no problems (there might be some functional things that do not work, but for how she used the program, she didn't notice any parts of the program that did not work). Then she used Parallels with no new problems. The main advantage of Parallels is that you don't have to reboot your computer and so can have both operating systems running simultaneous. Yay for emuators.

Second on how to use mouse clicks when Macs only have one button. You use keyboard buttons + a mouse click to get the same functionality you have on a PC w two mouse buttons. I forget the exact combinations, but for instance holding the control button and clicking the mouse will do what a right click will do on a PC.

But one thing to keep in mind. Chances are there will be some things in BW that do not work on a Mac. BW makes no guarantees and doesn't necessarily offer support for those formats (I guess I can't speak here since I simply don't have experience) since its not the main way the program was designed. So, best bet is to keep watching this thread and see what others using a Mac say or do some more searches in the Forums for this topic because it certainly has come up a lot.

Ben Spackman
11-22-2008, 06:40 PM
If you're using a Mac laptop, you can configure the touch pad so that a two-fingered tap constitutes a right mouse-click. That's how I have it, when my little USB mouse isn't plugged in.

I use BW on both Mac AND PC (take note, BW staff! :) ), and I haven't found anything amiss on the Mac version under parallels.