PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks Blog previews BibleWorks 8

Michael Hanel
11-22-2008, 10:57 AM
I will be trying to have a series of post on the unofficial BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org) on new features/updates in BibleWorks 8. Obviously I won't be able to blog on every new feature or update (and some things just don't lend themselves well to a few pictures on a blog), but I will try to get some good posts in.

If there are any particular features that anyone wants a preview of, you can ask here and I will see if I can get it done.

Two last things. 1. Since the new version might bring out a lot of new people. Keep in mind that the blog is not run by BibleWorks staff or under their supervision. Jim Darlack and I are just "regular joes" who do this out of the goodness of our hearts. Sometimes we omit "unofficial" in the title "the unofficial BibleWorks Blog", but as of right now it's not like there's confusion with the real BibleWorks blog because BW doesn't have an official one yet. (I think they said something about programmers should program, not spend time writing blog posts :p). So if you have real concerns about the inner-workings or are looking for handouts or any other such thing, just keep in mind that you're talking to the wrong people.

2. I'm currently coming to the end of my academic term at school and so my schedule is quite busy, so I can't make promises on regularity. But, knowing my desire to want to find something to do BESIDES homework, I should be able to get a good amount of posting done.

Thanks and enjoy. The first post is up here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=305).

Adelphos
11-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I will be trying to have a series of post on the unofficial BibleWorks blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org) on new features/updates in BibleWorks 8.

One of things I was going to do was write a program to enhance the VLM with a categorization/filing system. After talking with Mike about it via email, (who was very gracious and encouraging), I nevertheless decided to wait till BW8 came out, which now has happened.

At this point, I doubt seriously I am going to follow through and attempt to write such a program, but I would like to know how the VLM in version 8 is different than in version 7, if at all.

Michael Hanel
11-22-2008, 08:16 PM
One of things I was going to do was write a program to enhance the VLM with a categorization/filing system. After talking with Mike about it via email, (who was very gracious and encouraging), I nevertheless decided to wait till BW8 came out, which now has happened.

At this point, I doubt seriously I am going to follow through and attempt to write such a program, but I would like to know how the VLM in version 8 is different than in version 7, if at all.

Hmm. This would depend on exact knowledge of how it worked in BW7, which I can't confess to having. I think the main tweak on the verse list is the use of the checkboxes back in the search list. So if you have a whole bunch of verses in the search list, you can use the check boxes to (de)select the ones you want to import to the VLM. Before you could import all the search list and would have to cull the list in the VLM.

Your suggestion on categorization is an interesting thought. You clearly use the VLM more efficiently than I do :)

Michael Hanel
11-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Alright, so I didn't get any of my homework done today (there's always tomorrow, right?), but I did get a bunch of blog posts in the docket. So here's what you have to look forward to.

Things to Love in BibleWorks 8.
1. Updater now checks for updates when you begin BW8 (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=305)
2. Bagster's Daily Light (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=309)
3. Greek Pseudepigrapha (and why the BW business model is the most consumer-oriented) (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=318)
4. the Phrase Matching Tool (the speed and ease of this will kill you) (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=323)
5. The X-refs tab (quicker, easier, better) (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=328)
6. The New Tab Browse Window
7. The new Grammar bundle (Wallace, Jouon/Muraoka, Waltke/O'Connor)
8. MacDonald's Greek Textual Transcription
9. The Context Tab

and more to come, but only one a day!

MWMiles
11-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks and enjoy. The first post is up here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=305).

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for the blog posts on BW version 8. You do a very nice job in presenting them and I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks again,
Mike

MWMiles
11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Michael,

I'd like to know more about the External Resources Manager in version 8. I completely underused this feature in version 7 and now have all sorts of ideas and questions about it.

If you have the time and are so inclined, can you give us an update on this feature in your blog?

Thank you,
Mike

Michael Hanel
11-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Hi Michael,

I'd like to know more about the External Resources Manager in version 8. I completely underused this feature in version 7 and now have all sorts of ideas and questions about it.

If you have the time and are so inclined, can you give us an update on this feature in your blog?

Thank you,
Mike

I'll put this on my to-do list. But for clarification. The ELM or External Links manager is still there. The External Resources Manager (or ERMIE) is not a replacement for the ELM, it's an additional tool. The ERMIE is part of BW attempts to help you organize materials. So you can put under one folder HTML links, PDF links, Word DOCs, whatever under one topic/heading. It's more a tool for organizational helpfulness than anything. But I will definitely talk more about it on the Blog in future posts.

MWMiles
11-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I'll put this on my to-do list. But for clarification. The ELM or External Links manager is still there. The External Resources Manager (or ERMIE) is not a replacement for the ELM, it's an additional tool. The ERMIE is part of BW attempts to help you organize materials. So you can put under one folder HTML links, PDF links, Word DOCs, whatever under one topic/heading. It's more a tool for organizational helpfulness than anything. But I will definitely talk more about it on the Blog in future posts.

ERMIE sounds like what I need for all of my local file clutter (and do I ever have that).

Have any changes been made to ELM that you're aware of?

Michael Hanel
11-23-2008, 03:15 PM
ERMIE sounds like what I need for all of my local file clutter (and do I ever have that).

Have any changes been made to ELM that you're aware of?

Nope. If you copy your shellexec.txt file or whatever that name is from BW7, you can still do what you could in BW7 in BW8.

MWMiles
11-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Nope. If you copy your shellexec.txt file or whatever that name is from BW7, you can still do what you could in BW7 in BW8.

Ahhh. good to know. Since I was tweaking this today, I was wondering if I was going to have to re-do it in a month.

Thank you

Adelphos
11-23-2008, 05:51 PM
So here's what you have to look forward to... 1. Updater now checks for updates when you begin BW8 (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=305).

Wow. Personally, I have had no use for electronic daily devotionals, and I still may never use it, but the explanation you provided for the devotional in BW8 is really very good.

Accordingly, I am eagerly awaiting the others you've lined up, plus I would love to see you do one on the Related Verses feature, the Cross Reference feature and an overall explanation of the new Analysis Window features.

Forget about your homework... homework is for sisies :cool:

Michael Hanel
11-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow. Personally, I have had no use for electronic daily devotionals, and I still may never use it, but the explanation you provided for the devotional in BW8 is really very good.

Thanks for the compliment! I think the nice thing about their choice for Bagster's devotional is that it really isn't "devotional literature" it's simply a selection of verses (around some theme) selected for that day. So what you're doing is actually reading the true Word rather than the interpretation of it (although there is something to be said for the potential to read verses out of context I suppose). But anyway, just checking out the verses for the day is true meditation, rather than some Max Lucado storybook (I know, I know, don't knock Lucado. I've read a bunch of his books, they're nice, but just not really academic enough for my soul. But I'm glad some people like them.).

Accordingly, I am eagerly awaiting the others you've lined up, plus I would love to see you do one on the Related Verses feature, the Cross Reference feature and an overall explanation of the new Analysis Window features.

Forget about your homework... homework is for sisies :cool:

Cross refs is definitely coming up, that's no problem. I will also be talking about the Related verses tool, but probably in about 10 days or so. If you like the post on the Phrase Matching Tool, you'll love the RVT because it does similar kind of really powerful searching really quickly. The reason I'm delaying it is because I want to increase the anticipation :D Good idea though on overal explanation of Analysis Window features. I should be getting around to all the new tabs, but I'll try to do a post that links all those things up so people can get a bird's eye view of how it comes together.

Michael Hanel
11-25-2008, 11:34 AM
The post on the PMT (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=323) is now up. If there are more questions about it specifically let me know.

Adelphos
11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
The post on the PMT (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=323) is now up. If there are more questions about it specifically let me know.

That looks super cool!

How do you get both verses into that window? i.e., you've got John 7:38 and then underneath it you've got John 3:36. How do you get those two into the window, and could you add more if you wanted to?

Michael Hanel
11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
That looks super cool!

How do you get both verses into that window? i.e., you've got John 7:38 and then underneath it you've got John 3:36. How do you get those two into the window, and could you add more if you wanted to?

The text for John 7:38 will stay there throughout the session because it is the verse you specifically wanted to match phrases for. If you changed verses in which you're looking for a phrase match, obviously then it would change. John 3:36 appears (with phrase being matched highlighted) because that is the verse that I have last selected in the results list for phrases matched (on the left side you'll see it's greyed). So all that is automatic. They display in the Bible version you ask it to (see bottom "Display results using..."). You can't get more than one version or more than one verse to appear at a time. You would have to then select verses to export to the Search List, which is a mouse click away, or something to do fancier things.

Adelphos
11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
The text for John 7:38 will stay there throughout the session because it is the verse you specifically wanted to match phrases for... So all that is automatic. They display in the Bible version you ask it to (see bottom "Display results using...")...

I am really looking forward to this. This feature all by itself is worth the price of the upgrade.

Sincerely,

Mr. Yes-man.

Michael Hanel
11-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I am really looking forward to this. This feature all by itself is worth the price of the upgrade.

Sincerely,

Mr. Yes-man.

Wow you didn't even wait for me to get to the Related Verse Tool. If you're impressed with PMT, you'll love RVT :) I'm thinking I'll talk about the RVT on Monday of next week. :)

spitzerpl
11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm thinking I'll talk about the RVT on Monday of next week. :)

Keep them coming...this really is far better then the alternatives to impatient waiting which are going to the post office, watching paint dry or watching grass grow!

Lord, please grant me patience tomorrow. :-)

Adelphos
11-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Wow you didn't even wait for me to get to the Related Verse Tool. If you're impressed with PMT, you'll love RVT :) I'm thinking I'll talk about the RVT on Monday of next week. :)

BTW, can you turn off the auto-update feature? Is there an option for that?

Michael Hanel
11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
BTW, can you turn off the auto-update feature? Is there an option for that?

Define auto-update. You mean when you start BW8 and it asks if you want to download updates? (Note it doesn't download anything without your permission. It simply asks if you want to download new files. If you say no, it won't ask again until something new is posted). I don't yet see an option for this, but I imagine it is possible for them to add this. In beta-coding, I'm not sure it was a high priority to have this feature disabled since the point was to test new features.

Adelphos
11-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Define auto-update. You mean when you start BW8 and it asks if you want to download updates? (Note it doesn't download anything without your permission. It simply asks if you want to download new files. If you say no, it won't ask again until something new is posted). I don't yet see an option for this, but I imagine it is possible for them to add this. In beta-coding, I'm not sure it was a high priority to have this feature disabled since the point was to test new features.

As long as you are not forced to download the file then that is fine.

Michael Hanel
11-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Nope, no compulsion. I would have been annoyed had that been the case. In this instance, there is free will to do as you choose.

Michael Hanel
11-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm out of town this weekend to get ordained (not the Internet kind either), so feedback on the blog will be light. Jim's in charge while I'm gone, but keep in mind it is a holiday, so quit surfing the net and enjoy the break to be thankful for all that you do have. However, just to keep the masses appeased, I do have posts scheduled to be published each day till I'm back, so enjoy with anticipation. But let us not forget the real Advent which we are anticipating.

MBushell
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Michael must have missed the option. Auto-updates can be turned off in the setup window. And in the commercial release it will not check more often than once every 48 hours. Nothing is updated unless you specify it to be updated.
Mike

Adelphos
11-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Michael must have missed the option. Auto-updates can be turned off in the setup window. And in the commercial release it will not check more often than once every 48 hours. Nothing is updated unless you specify it to be updated.

Outstanding. I wish there was an option to blow the leaves out of my yard.

Adelphos
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Just a reminder -- Michael Hanel has done a great job of reviewing some of the new features in BW8, which can be found here --

http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/

Trajan
12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Is the auto update all or nothing in BW8?

I'd like the ability to reject certain updates and hide them (i.e. never see them again) - even in BW7. I know I won't ever want to install the Korean update, or the Swedish update (which currently sit in my update queue) because I did not even install the original version of those languages, and I won't ever use them.

Michael Hanel
12-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Is the auto update all or nothing in BW8?

I'd like the ability to reject certain updates and hide them (i.e. never see them again) - even in BW7. I know I won't ever want to install the Korean update, or the Swedish update (which currently sit in my update queue) because I did not even install the original version of those languages, and I won't ever use them.

Neither all nor nothing. You can still choose which updates to apply. And contrary to what I might have said, you can also choose to turn the auto-update feature off. The main boon of the auto-update feature is not that it downloads things automatically (you still have to ok whatever you want to be downloaded). The boon is that it automatically checks to see whether there is anything to download (which some people forget to do)

Trajan
12-04-2008, 12:44 PM
That is a very good thing. Does anyone know how to "hide" updates? Or are they decreed to sit in the possible update box forever? :)

Adelphos
12-04-2008, 12:49 PM
That is a very good thing. Does anyone know how to "hide" updates? Or are they decreed to sit in the possible update box forever? :)

In the Updates Dialog Box, under the menu item Updates, choose Delecte Selected Updates.

I think this will do what you want, but I've never used it personally.

Trajan
12-04-2008, 01:41 PM
In the Updates Dialog Box, under the menu item Updates, choose Delecte Selected Updates.

I think this will do what you want, but I've never used it personally.

Excellent! Thanks. I don't know why I have not seen that before.

Michael Hanel
12-10-2008, 12:56 AM
a light (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=416) from the darkness.....

Adelphos
12-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Although I am finished with all my final papers, I still have a bit of work to do to finish this quarter on the teaching side of the desk...

Let's just save the excuses for people who care. ;)

I really like this new format for the ECF. I especially like the verse references.

It's also amazing that this is included in the base package whereas it's quite a bit of $$$ in other programs.

I guess it's too much to hope, though, that each reference in the ECF itself is tagged? That is, are the verse quotations in the ECF linked so that when you mouse over it you can get the verse? IOW, if I'm reading, say, Irenaeus, and he quotes some verse, is that verse from within ECF linked?

I kinda doubt it, as that would entail tons and tons of work, but I'd thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, in your example you have the verse referenced to Schaff's introductory note. What if four or five different fathers quote the verse? Are each of them referenced in the Analysis Window?

Glenn Weaver
12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Scott,

Yes, the Scripture references are tagged. The appear just like the other HTML Help modules in BibleWorks. When you place your cursor over a Scripture reference, the verse appears in a popup window. You can click on the link to display the verse in the Browse Window.

If the verses reference of the verse appearing in the Browse Window appears multiple times in the Early Church Fathers, each occurence of the reference appears in the Resource Summary Window. You can click on any of the Resource Summary Window entries to open the ECF to the reference of your choice.

The ECF includes tagged Scripture refs, footnotes, page numbers, and page formatting.

Adelphos
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
The ECF includes tagged Scripture refs, footnotes, page numbers, and page formatting.

Wow. That is FEE-NOM-EN-OL! More than I had thought. And again, you guys have really hit another home run by making this a baseline feature. Absolutely outstanding.

Adelphos
12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I got my BibleWorks 8 brochure in the mail today. I tried to cram it in my CD drive just in case, but no matter how I folded it, I couldn't get it to work. Guess I'll have to wait for the actual CD itself.

tcblack
12-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I got my BibleWorks 8 brochure in the mail today. I tried to cram it in my CD drive just in case, but no matter how I folded it, I couldn't get it to work. Guess I'll have to wait for the actual CD itself.

I opened my mailbox today and let out a whoop when I saw the BW8 logo, I reached in and started running back to the house before realizing it wasn't a CD mailer, it was a brochure.

Now that's a downright dirty trick.

spitzerpl
12-11-2008, 11:32 PM
I tried to cram it in my CD drive just in case, but no matter how I folded it, I couldn't get it to work
Did you try CTRL + ALT + DEL?

Mark Eddy
12-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Wow. That is FEE-NOM-EN-OL! More than I had thought. And again, you guys have really hit another home run by making this a baseline feature. Absolutely outstanding.
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but to prevent frustration... There is a little work which needs to be done with the Schaff module. Right now it is difficult to know which father is quoting a given verse. You will see a list of article names such as "homily XIV" but you won't know whose homily it is or which volume of Schaff it is taken from, until you scroll up to the top of the article, and even then sometimes the author's name is in a previous article, not listed in the Resource Summary list. So give Glenn some time to get the kinks worked out. But he did a great job getting it this far.
Mark Eddy

Adelphos
12-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Did you try CTRL + ALT + DEL?

Yeah, I tried everything. At first, I thought it was just my souped up Commodore 64 acting up on me. I also thought perhaps the extra microwave I recently hooked up to it to give me more Ghz might have something to do with it, but that wasn't it, either. The DVD drive is still spitting out shreds of the brochure now and then, but I 'spect it'll be clear when I finally get the real DVD.