PDA

View Full Version : OneNote Integration

spitzerpl
11-21-2008, 02:31 PM
As I wait patiently (well...wait) for my copy of BW I was wondering if anyone has any tips for or thoughts for how well it integrates with MS OneNote 2007.

boeinguy2
11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
I love both Bibleworks and OneNote. The process I have used is to track my studies in OneNote. I can integrate additional resources with Bibleworks Resources and keep track of weblinks, etc in OneNote.

Basically I use OneNote as the core for my study process. I track my exegesis there and treat Bibleworks as another resource. I have not found a way to let Bibleworks be the center and OneNote to be the support.

Michael Hanel
11-24-2008, 02:08 PM
I love both Bibleworks and OneNote. The process I have used is to track my studies in OneNote. I can integrate additional resources with Bibleworks Resources and keep track of weblinks, etc in OneNote.

Basically I use OneNote as the core for my study process. I track my exegesis there and treat Bibleworks as another resource. I have not found a way to let Bibleworks be the center and OneNote to be the support.

If you can include links to pictures or something more concrete that'd be cool. I own a copy of OneNote in the Office suite but must admit that I've never moved over to using it. I still just end up taking notes in Word if I'm not using the BibleWorks editor.

spitzerpl
11-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I understand that within Bibleworks I can have it reference External Links, Which I am looking very forward to playing around with. I'm trying to work out how I would set this up to work with OneNote. Is it possible to tell the External Link Manager that if the book is such and such then use this in the link? Such as if the book is Matthew, use {D99AA486-D756-4720-81E7-7F29FA8C3B26} in the link? It would have to be able to handle one for each book.

spitzerpl
11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
I understand that within Bibleworks I can have it reference External Links, Which I am looking very forward to playing around with. I'm trying to work out how I would set this up to work with OneNote. Is it possible to tell the External Link Manager that if the book is such and such then use this in the link? Such as if the book is Matthew, use {D99AA486-D756-4720-81E7-7F29FA8C3B26} in the link? It would have to be able to handle one for each book.

Scratch that, I think I found a better solution. assuming Biblework's ELM can reference File locations on the computer you could just have it point to the location on the hard drive e.g. C:/documents/one note/Bibleworks Notes/<Book>/<Chapter>/<Verse>.one Granted it would take some ingenuity and possibly time to set up such a OneNote notebook but I think it would be extremely valuable. You could even do this for topics! and hyperlink to those topics within the OneNote Verse files. OOOHH...I'm getting very excited for my copy of BW!

kpurcell
12-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Scratch that, I think I found a better solution. assuming Biblework's ELM can reference File locations on the computer you could just have it point to the location on the hard drive e.g. C:/documents/one note/Bibleworks Notes/<Book>/<Chapter>/<Verse>.one Granted it would take some ingenuity and possibly time to set up such a OneNote notebook but I think it would be extremely valuable. You could even do this for topics! and hyperlink to those topics within the OneNote Verse files. OOOHH...I'm getting very excited for my copy of BW!

If you get this working, I'd like to hear more about it. Would it be easier to do it chapter by chapter?

revaaron
12-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I've been using Bibleworks for about a year and a half now (version 7) and have been highly anticipating the arrival of version 8. Now that you mention the possibility of using OneNote, I await in even more eagerness for the arrival of this new addition. I'll be watching this thread and hopefully posting some tips as I learn them as well.

Peace

spitzerpl
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Now that you mention the possibility of using OneNote, I await in even more eagerness for the arrival of this new addition.

Just to be clear, this would not be a feature included in Bibleworks 8. I have developed a way to make a onenote file for each chapter of the Bible. I gave it a try creating a section for each verse of the Bible. Basically there was a notebook for "BW Notes", A subsection for Each book of the Bible. Within that subsection there was a subsection for each Chapter of the Book, And withen that subsection there was a section for each verse. Needless to say the file was quite big and Onenote didn't like the size too well. It pretty much grinded to a halt. Speed wise the best solution is to create a notebook for each book of the Bible, and a section for each Chapter. BW would open up the chapter section and you would then navigate to the correct verse page. I have not tested this out to see if it bogs down OneNote but if it would be benificial to you I could give it a try. I don't like the idea of 66 notebooks in OneNote so I might try to but the books in a subsection of one notebook instead. It is possible to have it open to the correct verse page, but, at least according to my programming abilities, I would have to use Excel to do it. Personally I'm starting to like the idea of navigating to the verse page man ually as this allows you set up pericope or topical pages of your own.

spitzerpl
12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I got too curious so I went ahead and created it chapter by chapter. In OneNote there is a Notebook called "BibleWorks Notes." In the Notebook there are subsections for each book of the bible (excluding Apocryphal Books), and a section for each chapter. Once the notebook has been loaded into OneNote the first time the speed seems to excellent. So far my tests with the BibleWorks External Link works well. If you would like I can post the notebook, I just need to know where to post it for people to download. The compressed folder is 2.3 Megs.

spitzerpl
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry about that, didn't realize I could attach it to the message. You will find the file at [http://nplainfieldbaptist.org/Files/Bibleworks_Notes.zip]. Unzip it to your Documents>OneNote NoteBooks File. Open OneNote and goto File>Open>Notebook, then navigate to the "BibleWorks Notes" folder you unzipped. to set up the OneNote External Link in BibleWorks, use the following settings.

http://nplainfieldbaptist.org/Images/OneNote_External_Link_Settings.jpg

Set the "File To Open" to C:\Users\spitzerpl\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\Bibleworks Notes\<book>\<chapter>.one

you may want to change that if you place your notebook in a different location. Let me know if it works!

spitzerpl
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry, I just saw the Upload Limits for Bibleworks so my file wasn't attached. Since I manage my Church's website I placed them on it. You can download the file Here (http://nplainfieldbaptist.org/Files/Bibleworks_Notes.zip) (http://nplainfieldbaptist.org/Files/Bibleworks_Notes.zip). Hopefully I got it all that time :-)

R Telfer
12-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all your work. This is great.

I notice that when OneNote opens the Bibleworks Notebook to the book of the Bible, the chapters (aka sections) are not in numeric order. I tried changing the section numbers to 01, 02, etc to fix that, but then BW didn't recognize the chapter numbers anymore.

The other thing I noticed is that the first time I open a book, it always goes to the first section, regardless of which chapter I want. Once the book is open, this isn't a problem.

Is this peculiar to my set up, or have you encountered this, too?
Thanks again,
R Telfer

spitzerpl
12-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks for all your work. This is great.

I notice that when OneNote opens the Bibleworks Notebook to the book of the Bible, the chapters (aka sections) are not in numeric order. I tried changing the section numbers to 01, 02, etc to fix that, but then BW didn't recognize the chapter numbers anymore.

Bibleworks doesn't give an option for "if chapter is less then 10, add a zero" so this wouldn't work. I could do it with a javascript but then I couldn't open the file as JavaScript does not allow you to open files on your computer (at least, not to my knowledge.)

But all is not without hope. You can manually reorder the tabs in OneNote. I went ahead and did this and uploaded the new files HERE (http://nplainfieldbaptist.org/Files/Bibleworks_Notes.zip). I'm fairly certain the tabs will be in the right order when you open the files. If you check this out could you post back a confirmation that the tabs are in numerical order. I would not open this file overtop of your other one unless you havn't started taking notes yet.

As far as the second issue, I do not have this problem. The first time I open a book from a Bibleworks link it goes to the right chapter. What version of OneNote are you using? I'm using 2007. Also you can try going to My Docs>OneNote NoteBooks, right clicking on the Notebook that contains the folders and selecting "Open as notebook in OneNote."

terogs
12-13-2008, 11:39 AM
This may be a little off topic, but does anyone have a recommendation for the best way to get started with OneNote. I have it with my Office 2007 suite but have never used it. Ideally I'd like a manual a few steps up from the "For Dummies" series.

Thanks,

Tom

spitzerpl
12-13-2008, 12:10 PM
This may be a little off topic, but does anyone have a recommendation for the best way to get started with OneNote. I have it with my Office 2007 suite but have never used it. Ideally I'd like a manual a few steps up from the "For Dummies" series.

I guess the best thing to do here is to tell of the benefits to OneNote.

1) Syncing between two computers-It is supper easy to sync your OneNotes between two computers. Just save your notebook on a thumb drive. Whenever your thumbdrive is outside your computer, it stores everything in a cache. When its plugged in everything syncs automatically. So save the notebook on one computer. then go to that folder, right click, and select "Open as OneNote Notebook" on the second computer and anytime you plug the flashdrive into either computer, everything is synced.

2) No saving - All you have to do is open OneNote, type away, close OneNote. You never have to save anything

3) Search function - This is probably the best feature. Say you want to scan a page into onenote from a paper book you have. OneNote searches the text of the picture and when you do a search, it returns and highlights the results. In fact, say you have an audio sermon. Put it into OneNote. you can tell OneNote to search for words in an audio file and it too will turn up in a search. I must admit, I havn't tried the audio feature, but the text works well.

4) Organization, or lack thereof - be as organized or disorganized as you want. you can save everything to your unfiled notebook and use the search to find it. Or seperate everything logically into Notebooks, Subsections, Sections, Pages, Subpages and paragraphs. Its all up to you.

5) HyperLinking - Everything can be hyperlinked to. Say you want to reference another sheet in another notebook. Go to that sheet, right click, select "copy Hyperlink" go to the other sheet and then paste. Its just like any other hyperlink, so you can add it you Bibleworks notes, Word document, anything.

6) email a sheet as PDF - easy to share with others.

7) Tagging - This is actually a cool feature I don't use enough. Say your working in OneNote studying a passage and you think of something that needs to be done. You don't want to loss your train of thought, but you really want to get this done. One the same sheet type out your idea. Then go up to the toolbar, or use the keyboard shortcut, and tag it as a todo item. When your ready to get those side thought tasks done simply filter out all the todo tags. It will pull up all your tags from all your notebooks. Check them off to mark them complete. You can even add it to your outlook todo list, or calendar. You can also tag things as questions, things for your blog,...

8) Screen clippings - Vista does have a screen clipping tool included, but OneNote has screen clipping bult in too. Say you want to quickly capture a picture of something on your screen. Hit the Window Key + S, select the area you want to clip, and the picture will be added to a page in your Unfiled Notebook. And as mentioned earlier, the text will be searchable. When your ready to file it, just drag and drop it to where you want it.

9) Syncing with Windows mobile - I must admit I think they really blew it with this feature. They could have done a much better, job. But you can have some of your notes sync with Windows Mobile. Its built more so that you can take notes in OneNote Mobile, and then have them accessable in your notebooks. But hey, its only the second generation of the program.

10) Pin the Window - you can pin the OneNote window to stay on top. That way you can keep it always visible while using Bibleworks.

I could go on. I'll start another post to give a little bit of an idea of how to use it.

spitzerpl
12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Actually after typing all this I found a video that should give you a good idea of OneNote.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/HA101686341033.aspx

OneNote is actually a very easy program to use, and very flexible to your needs. I would say its the most flexible program Microsoft has ever made, and yet I would also say its probably the easiest (though I will always have a special love for Excel)

Open the program, place your curser anywhere on the page, and just start typing. Just like word you can go to the toolbar and make it a bulleted or numbered list.

But say you want to keep your personal and business notes seperate. Great! just create two notebooks. One called personal and one called Business. Just go up to the toolbar, hit the arrow next to "New" and select Notebook. You can create templates but usually you'll just want to start a blank notebook, give it a title, usually to start with you'll only use it on your current computer, and your notebook is made.

So your keeping your personal and business notes seperate, and lets say you've also created a notebook for school. But you don't want your Ecclesiology and Escatology notes combined! This is where I would use a section or section group. think of section groups like the little tabs in a 5 section notebook. click on that new button (the default is section, you can also creat a section by clicking the arrow.)Give the new tab a name.

Notebooks are listed on the left, Sections along the top. But what about the page of each of your subjects? You'll want a page for each day's notes. Thats along the right. Just click "new Page" put your title in the dotted circle, and type your notes. You can also create sub pages. maybe you want to have a page labeled notes, and a subpage labeled homework.

If your in a hurry and don't feel like finding the right page, just click the Window Key + N. This will create a new page for you to write on in your unfiled notebook. You don't have to have OneNote open. Then you can file it away when your ready.

That's a quick and dirty overview of onenote, but as posted in the previous post, there is much more to it, if you choose to use it.

R Telfer
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
The new file was not in numeric order, so I'll just manually do that, as you suggested. A small thing, given how much work you've already put into it for us.

I'm using version 2007 also. A message comes up asking if I want to open the notebook or the section. If I click to open the notebook it opens at section one regardless of my chapter. If I click to open the section, it opens only the section, not the notebook.

This is not a deal-killer for me. I will still find this a most usable tool, and I thank you.

For Tom, the OneNote program comes with a notebook entitled "OneNote 2007 Guide" that has a lot of useful helps in it.
Thanks again,
R Telfer

spitzerpl
12-13-2008, 03:11 PM
The new file was not in numeric order, so I'll just manually do that, as you suggested.

Something that was helpful to me in moving the tabs was to view all notebooks (Lower Left Corner). you can see more of the tabs so you don't have to scroll as much. it went pretty quick until I got to Psalms. I was scrolling everything down to the bottom until I got to Psalm 125. Then I realized I could hold down the left mouse button, move the tab down one or two spots, and then use the scroll wheel to take it the rest of the way down. It sped up a bit after that. Hope that helps!

Sorry I can't think up a good solution to the other problem :confused:

Phil

calvary
12-13-2008, 03:31 PM
I've been using Bibleworks for about a year and a half now (version 7) and have been highly anticipating the arrival of version 8. Now that you mention the possibility of using OneNote, I await in even more eagerness for the arrival of this new addition. I'll be watching this thread and hopefully posting some tips as I learn them as well.

Peace

revaaron? You're not the same one over on FPN are you?

Dave (blopplop on FPN)

revaaron
12-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Dave,
I am not sure what FPN is, so I don't think I am the person on there (I assume it is another forum?) I must be a different revaaron :).

Peace,

calvary
12-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Dave,
I am not sure what FPN is, so I don't think I am the person on there (I assume it is another forum?) I must be a different revaaron :).

Peace,

Fountain Pen Network. That's pretty wild that they'd have the exact same name. :)

Be blessed...

spitzerpl
12-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Fountain Pen Network.

Fountain Pen Network??? Nope. would have never guessed that one.

spitzerpl
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks again, it is very helpful and works well.

I'm glad its working for you. I just played around a little bit with Excel and found a way to get all the section IDs. I generated all the pages by using an excel macro. If I can extract all the section IDs I should be able to generate a javascript that can call up a onenote page. the benefit of this is twofold, at least for me. First, I can make the pages 01, 02, etc. so that they end up in the write category. 2) I can put the subsections into canonical order (e.g. 01-Genesis, 02-Exodus. 3) the script could be used by Logos to pull up OneNote to the right page, making a common place for both program's notes that is easily accessable. There could be some other benefits to explore as well. I'm hoping it works out.

terogs
12-14-2008, 06:08 PM
spitzerpl,

Thanks for all your work explaining OneNote. It's one of those applications that looks as though it has a lot of potential, but it may take some playing with to figure it out.

Tom

DeMody
12-19-2008, 06:26 AM
spitzerpl,

I have followed your posts here and found your recommendation to be very very useful. So thank you. Now I can experiment with OneNote. It might be an easy Sermon Prep tool!

Also, the file that you have created, "Bibleworks_Notes.zip". When I unzip it, it places the notebook folder within a parent folder "Bibleworks_Notes". I had to take the "real" folder (which is the actual Notebook folder) and move it up into the folder along with all of my other Notebook folders. Then my link in Bibleworks worked perfectly! Just a point to pass along and not a complaint :).

SCSaunders
12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
spitzerpl,

I have followed your posts here and found your recommendation to be very very useful.Same here bro.:)
So thank you.mega dittos.
Now I can experiment with OneNote. It might be an easy Sermon Prep tool!That's what I'm wondering. I love Word, but if OneNote is better than I'm for better, because better is better.

spitzerpl
12-23-2008, 05:21 PM
That's what I'm wondering. I love Word, but if OneNote is better than I'm for better, because better is better.

I'm glad people are finding it useful. I have been developing something that takes this a step beyond. The main difference to make it happen though is using excel as a go-between. basically while BW is open you would have excel running as well. when you want to jump to OneNote you would simply click a button in excel and it would go to the note. The reason this is an improvement is because you would be able to organize your notes a bit better. Such as rather then having a section group for each book, you could have pentateuch, Historical, Gospels, and then books divided in there, then chapters in there, and even possibly jumping to a page representing the verse.

Right now my main goal for the project is actually linking with Logos. The user could easily set up the books he wants to be able to quickly reference, even having a button that would check a set of books. Clicking OK would open the checked resources in Libronix. the interface would look something like this below. You would copy a link to the Logos resource into the spreadsheet (any location within the resource would do), give it a name, and indicate any presets you want it to be a part of. then on the form in the lower right you would check those resources.

Is this something anyone would be interested in?

http://nplainfieldbaptist.org/Images/logosproject.JPG

spartachris
09-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Just got BW 8 and OneNote a couple of weeks ago. That basic notebook and eternal link is incredible, spitzerpl!

It's been some time since there was activity at this thread, but I'm interested in whatever you're working on re:OneNote and BW!

Thanks

ademko
10-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Since the thread is called "OneNote Integration" I think this will be interesting for you:
The program for Independent Bible Study based on OneNote http://IStudyBibleTools.com

HTTP:

Gilbert Salinas
05-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Does anyone still have the onenote zip file?? Could you repost it??? Thank you! Gilbert