PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks 8

pasquale
11-20-2008, 05:15 PM
---------------------

Adelphos
11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Once again, BibleWorks has outclassed and radically surpassed, not only the expectations of its users, but has likewise demonstrated its superiortiy to all other competitors in its tenacity of adhering to the principle of giving to its users the biggest bang for the buck. With few exceptions, BibleWorks has made the practice of paying for extra modules almost obsolete. The user gets so much in the full, baseline package, and at such a dirt-cheap price, that I would suspect it of being one of those deals that is too good to be true were it not for the fact that BibleWorks has been in the habit for years of making deals that are too good to be true, well... true.

Great job once again to the BibleWorks team.

sandersann
11-20-2008, 07:20 PM
This is Christmas in November :) just more reasons to be thankful for next week
Now I need to find a way to sell the idea to the wife after all the books I am buying at ETS

These goodies will be the end of me :D

Alain

Michael Hanel
11-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I think one thing that they've done really, really well (which is not, of course, to say they haven't done other things well too) is, like Adelphos said, to put in 1 package a whole lot of stuff that in other programs generally would cost a fortune. Ok granted, you still are going to have to pay extra for your HALOT or BDAG, but in the base program in addition to all the Bibles, you get Pseudepigrapha, Apostolic Fathers, Philo, and Josephus. Not to mention all the Targumic stuff that I shy away from because I like Greek better ;) Then you have your basic (and not so basic) grammars included as well. I think it's a pretty nice deal, and that really hasn't even touched any of the other new program features like the Phrase Matching Tool and Related Verses Tool which are pretty spiffy.

Ben Spackman
11-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm ecstatic we have a new version, and I assume I'll see it at SBL :)

I'm down because I wasn't asked to beta test, and I've beta'd since v. 4 :confused:

Also, cash is quite short right now at my house...

Is there a special upgrade price for people who've already purchased Waltke and Jouon? Hopeful?

Now back to voracious browsing.

ingosorke
11-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Now that snug up on me! Bibleworks is better at keeping secrets than that fruit company that starts with an A.

But I also remember Mike Bushell mentioning on this forum a while back another project they're working on "in parallel" - I wonder what that might be.

Oh the anticipation of daily checking the mailbox; oh the disappointment of yet another day of just bills, mere letters, vain catalogues. And yet another round of keeping Windows around.

Bibleworkers of the world, unite; I just supported the economy!

Ingo

Ben Spackman
11-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Can anyone tell me what the checkboxes to the left of the verses are for in this picture?

http://bibleworks.com/images/new-analysistabs-context.jpg

Adelphos
11-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Bibleworkers of the world, unite; I just supported the economy!

And might I just add...

In addition to Bibleworkers of the world, also bad spellers of the world, UNTIE !!!

Michael Hanel
11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Can anyone tell me what the checkboxes to the left of the verses are for in this picture?

They are for (un)selecting certain hits in your search list.

Adelphos
11-20-2008, 10:49 PM
They are for (un)selecting certain hits in your search list.

Yeah, but what's the purpose? What happens when you unselect one? Does the verse disappear from the list? or is it just ignored if you save the results? Ergo, what's the whole skinny on this deal?

Ben Spackman
11-20-2008, 10:51 PM
I was hoping it indicated the verse had a note. Is there any new way of identifying what verses/chapters have notes attached short of loading said verse?

Michael Hanel
11-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah, but what's the purpose? What happens when you unselect one? Does the verse disappear from the list? or is it just ignored if you save the results? Ergo, what's the whole skinny on this deal?

Well I imagine it depends on how you want to use it :) If unchecked, a verse won't disappear, but if you run a search and you're going through it and find verses that you want to throw out, you can uncheck them as you go and there's a right click option to purge all unchecked verses. I didn't do a lot of this sort of thing in BW7, but I believe if you wanted to do something like this you would have to export to Verse List and then delete from there, no?

Michael Hanel
11-20-2008, 10:56 PM
I was hoping it indicated the verse had a note. Is there any new way of identifying what verses/chapters have notes attached short of loading said verse?

Nothing like this that I know of. Haven't heard of anyone wish-listing this, so maybe you can ask them whether anything can be done like that.

Adelphos
11-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Well I imagine it depends on how you want to use it :) If unchecked, a verse won't disappear, but if you run a search and you're going through it and find verses that you want to throw out, you can uncheck them as you go and there's a right click option to purge all unchecked verses. I didn't do a lot of this sort of thing in BW7, but I believe if you wanted to do something like this you would have to export to Verse List and then delete from there, no?

Yes, that's more or less what I assumed was the purpose. As far as I know, you do have to manually export/purge verses in BW7.

And although I am excited about the new features in BW8, especially some of those in the expanded Analysis Window, I'm still gonna complain if we can't change tabs from the CL. :cool:

Ben Spackman
11-20-2008, 11:01 PM
I mentioned it here.
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3282&highlight=note

Pretty sure I'd mentioned it a few times before.

Michael Hanel
11-20-2008, 11:01 PM
And although I am excited about the new features in BW8, especially some of those in the expanded Analysis Window, I'm still gonna complain if we can't change tabs from the CL. :cool:

"What, Manna again? Thanks a lot...."

Eric
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I was curious if anyone out there were beta testers like last time. If you could identify your self, we might want to ask you for some reviews!

Michael Hanel
11-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I was curious if anyone out there were beta testers like last time. If you could identify your self, we might want to ask you for some reviews!

I think it's safe to say I am knowledgeable of BW8 in beta form. Can't vouch for my accessibility though as I'm at the end of the academic term blues. But you sure can ask away.

Eric
11-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, thanks Michael. I know that you have used BW for a long time as have I. When BW7 was rolled out there was a lot of discussion about the new features, etc. I was wondering what you have found to be the most useful in BW8 and why.

I realize that you probably don't have the time to go in depth due to the end of the term, but whatever you can share would be appreciated.

By the way, I've already pre ordered. I figure that the additional modules include in BW8 are worth the $149; let alone the new features!;)

Michael Hanel
11-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, thanks Michael. I know that you have used BW for a long time as have I. When BW7 was rolled out there was a lot of discussion about the new features, etc. I was wondering what you have found to be the most useful in BW8 and why.

I realize that you probably don't have the time to go in depth due to the end of the term, but whatever you can share would be appreciated.

By the way, I've already pre ordered. I figure that the additional modules include in BW8 are worth the $149; let alone the new features!;)

Hopefully over the interim between now and whenever BW8 is in people's mailboxes, I'll get a chance on the BibleWorks Blog (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org) to document and display some of the new additions. That will probably be more helpful than this brief response.

Secondly, what I like in the new version of BW8 will really be saying a lot more about me than it will about the material of stuff in the new release. I am a whole-hearted text-junkie. So I'll tell you what makes the upgrade a must in my book: the addition of the Greek (and English translations) Pseudepigrapha. I believe if you look at *just* this module alone in other Bible programs, you will find that it will cost you over $200. So if you want to think of the upgrade to BW8 as paying only for the Pseudepigrapha and that everything else is a free bonus, well then, even if there were no updates to the program it'd be a worthwhile investment in my mind.

So that addition is one of the most valuable textual additions in my world. The new feature that I am most enthralled over is the Related Verse Tool and Phrase Match Tool. Both of these used separately or together allow you to do a few mouse clicks to find whether there are other verses in the Bible (or Josephus, LXX, Apostolic Fathers, Greek Pseudepigrapha, Philo) that share word/phrase similarities. Before it was really easy to do simple word searches by clicking on a word, now it's become even easier to find part or parts of word chains in other places in the Bible which is a really cool way to look for allusions, repetitions and other potentially significant related themes elsewhere in these texts.

Now there's obviously a lot more in the new program and some others will value more than other parts, but for the type of person I am, those two things (the addition of the Pseudepigrapha and the two Tools mentioned above) are the coolest things to me.

Michael Hanel
11-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I mentioned it here.
http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3282&highlight=note

Pretty sure I'd mentioned it a few times before.

Well I have no idea if it's possible to do or even on their list of things to fix. I imagine though as soon as they get BW8 out the door, they might have a bit more programming time to talk about adding new features again. Sorry for not remembering your post on the subject.

SCSaunders
11-21-2008, 09:55 AM
In addition to Bibleworkers of the world, also bad spellers of the world, UNTIE !!!Hilarious! Along with the version 8 update news, this luvety made my day.:)

MBushell
11-21-2008, 10:30 AM

They allow you select verses to do other things with, like copy, export, print, etc. So you can go through a list and mark the relevant verses. You can also do searches on just the verses checked/unchecked etc.

I have been just paying with version 8 now the last day just trying to find any last minute tweks that would be helpful and I honestly believe this is by far the best release we have ever had. There are more actual productivity tools that all users (beginner and advanced) can benefit that we have ever had. I am ecited for the development work to let up a bit so I can actually use the program myself!

Ben, don't feel bad about not being a beta tester. The choice of testers was very limited this time.

Mike

MBushell
11-21-2008, 11:10 AM

It wasn't in there but I will add it now to avoid the complaint :) Complaints don't usually get much work out of us though. It is impossible to even think about implementing every suggestion. There are hundreds, most worthwhile. If we try to do everything we won't do anything.

Adelphos
11-21-2008, 11:38 AM
It wasn't in there but I will add it now to avoid the complaint :) Complaints don't usually get much work out of us though. It is impossible to even think about implementing every suggestion. There are hundreds, most worthwhile. If we try to do everything we won't do anything.

Of course, the "complaint" was tongue-in-cheek. A number of us, however, have been asking for this feature, minor as it is. But thanks for addressing it.

You know, of course, that the number 8 in the Bible is symbolic for the new birth, or new beginnings, i.e., 8 people in Noah's ark, 8 days for circumsion, Abijah is number 8 in the order of the priesthood, 8 boards on the corners (foundations) of the tabernacle, et cetera, et cetera, and it looks like BW8 fits right in there, metaphoracally speaking. :rolleyes:

Adelphos
11-21-2008, 11:48 AM
By the way, the way we had envisioned the CL tab change was the same as with the limits, i.e., something like --

"tab 3" or "t 5" and so on.

I should reiterate, though, that there really is nothing to actually complain about in version 8. The content in the baseline package is astounding, and the new features, such as related verses, along with all the others, really do make BW8 seem almost like a completely new version. I absolute LOVE the new layouts in the Analysis Window.

Dialogos
11-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Any chance that BibleWorks 8 has added a spell check feature to the BibleWorks Editor?

spitzerpl
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
As a two year Logos user I've resisted the urge to add Bibleworks to my toolbox, but now resistance is futile. I'm so excited to get my copy of Bibleworks. To makes sure my card was credited this year I went with the V. 7 to V. 8 options for $20 bucks more. Now I wait in eager anticipation of the many hours I will waste, I mean invest exploring this great resource!

MWMiles
11-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Now that snug up on me! Bibleworks is better at keeping secrets than that fruit company that starts with an A.

But I also remember Mike Bushell mentioning on this forum a while back another project they're working on "in parallel" - I wonder what that might be.

I'd also like to know what the parallel project is before I upgrade from version 7 to version 8. If the parallel project is a Linux port I'll buy that instead.

Anyone want to give a clue?

Thanks,
Mike

MBushell
11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
By the way, the way we had envisioned the CL tab change was the same as with the limits, i.e., something like --

"tab 3" or "t 5" and so on.

I should reiterate, though, that there really is nothing to actually complain about in version 8. The content in the baseline package is astounding, and the new features, such as related verses, along with all the others, really do make BW8 seem almost like a completely new version. I absolute LOVE the new layouts in the Analysis Window.

That's the way it is designed but the long form is "tabset" because of the possibility of a version down the line wanting to be called "tab". After the release we can consider a few simple additions, but for a while we will need to tweak the many new features with user input.

Mike

MBushell
11-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I'd also like to know what the parallel project is before I upgrade from version 7 to version 8. If the parallel project is a Linux port I'll buy that instead.

Anyone want to give a clue?

Thanks,
Mike

Sorry Mike. No Unix port is in the offing any time soon. Our programming staff is just too limited. If we charged $600 for the package (and people would pay that) then we might have the resources to do it :D

MWMiles
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Sorry Mike. No Unix port is in the offing any time soon. Our programming staff is just too limited. If we charged $600 for the package (and people would pay that) then we might have the resources to do it :D

Hmmm. If you gave me the source code as well for the $600 bucks, I'd buy it.
:rolleyes:

Adelphos
11-21-2008, 02:22 PM
After the release we can consider a few simple additions, but for a while we will need to tweak the many new features with user input.

I really was just half-kidding before. I didn't mean to upset the apple cart. I'm not clear if you're saying that the feature is already in there or not, but there's no hurry if it's not. I would expect some time to pass after the release to make sure the existing features are working fluently.

Actually, if you want a REAL complaint, how about why do we have to wait till mid December for our CD's??? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you BW folks should eat or sleep while we're sitting here waiting! :rolleyes:

MWMiles
11-21-2008, 03:11 PM

I went ahead and purchased the upgrade. Thanks to you and the other folks at BibleWorks for all your hard work in making us a spiffy new version of the best Bible study software on the planet.

;)

calvary
11-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I just ordered mine as well. I'm so blown away by the Bibleworks software and the staff that supports it. Thanks for great news about the upgrade.

Blessings,
Dave

pstrickert
11-21-2008, 05:09 PM
No paper-bound manual for BW8, correct?

MBushell
11-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I really was just half-kidding before. I didn't mean to upset the apple cart. I'm not clear if you're saying that the feature is already in there or not, but there's no hurry if it's not. I would expect some time to pass after the release to make sure the existing features are working fluently.

Actually, if you want a REAL complaint, how about why do we have to wait till mid December for our CD's??? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you BW folks should eat or sleep while we're sitting here waiting! :rolleyes:
Scott,
I don't like the delay either. The reason is that we wanted to release at SBL and that decision had to be made a long time in advance. Beta testing didn't go as smooth as we had hoped so now were are stuck with the delay. We are still ironing out some last minute bugs but hope to send disks to the manufacturer in a week or so. A lot depends on how soon they can turn it around.
Mike

MBushell
11-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Correct. The biggest problem with paper manuals is how quickly they become obsolete - and the amount of manpower needed to maintain them (in addition to online help and other things like tutorial videos). I confess that I like paper manuals myself, but I also have to confess that I never use them. You have to keep in mind that BibleWorks is a small company trying to produce a quality product for a rather small market. It's not easy to do that and stay in business - though God has been gracious and we've been here for 17 years.

Adelphos
11-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't like the delay either. The reason is that we wanted to release at SBL and that decision had to be made a long time in advance.

You know, in spite of the ridiculous rant in the other thread, you guys should really know that I've never encountered a software company who is as responsive to user needs as BW, and I'm sure others can echo that sentiment. Moreover, as has also been mentioned by myself and others, for what you actually get in BW8 in the baseline package, the price is so ridiculously low that that in and of itself actually makes a character statement about the BW company. Personally, I would like to extend my individual thanks for your committment to your users. I know that I and many others have benefitted from it.

Beta testing didn't go as smooth as we had hoped so now were are stuck with the delay.

Well, clearly, you just didn't pray enough! :rolleyes:

The wait is really not a problem at all. I've got so many financial committments right now, like another exorbitant property tax, that I may not even upgrade till after the new year anyway. Then again, maybe the Lord Jesus will open the temple granaries for me before then. :o

MWMiles
11-21-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm so blown away by the Bibleworks software and the staff that supports it. Thanks for great news about the upgrade.

fo' shizzle on that. :D

MBushell
11-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm down because I wasn't asked to beta test, and I've beta'd since v. 4 :confused:

Ben, I talked with Glenn and he said the only reason you weren't enlisted for beta testing is that you are (apparently) running on a Mac. There are enough issues with running on a PC that he thought it best to limit testing to PCs so we could rule out emulator problems right off the bat. So it wasn't personal. You have been a loyal supporter for a long time. We really appreciate that. But we had limited slots and went for the approach than minimized extraneous issues as much as possible.

God bless,
Mike

pstrickert
11-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Correct. The biggest problem with paper manuals is how quickly they become obsolete - and the amount of manpower needed to maintain them (in addition to online help and other things like tutorial videos). I confess that I like paper manuals myself, but I also have to confess that I never use them. You have to keep in mind that BibleWorks is a small company trying to produce a quality product for a rather small market. It's not easy to do that and stay in business - though God has been gracious and we've been here for 17 years.

I like to read a manual cover to cover . . . but not on a computer monitor. I understand your reasoning, though. The lack of a paper manual will not keep me from purchasing BW8. In fact, I've already pre-ordered!

BarbMpls
11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Other than number of disks, I don't suppose there's any compelling reason to choose CD or DVD for the upgrade... Like maybe a "Making of BW8" video and interviews with the programmers... :D

Barbara

Ben Spackman
11-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Ben, I talked with Glenn and he said the only reason you weren't enlisted for beta testing is that you are (apparently) running on a Mac. There are enough issues with running on a PC that he thought it best to limit testing to PCs so we could rule out emulator problems right off the bat. So it wasn't personal.
Mike

Thanks for the note Mike, much appreciated. For the record, I still run BW on my 2002 Dell desktop at home :)

tcblack
11-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Other than number of disks, I don't suppose there's any compelling reason to choose CD or DVD for the upgrade... Like maybe a "Making of BW8" video and interviews with the programmers... :D

I'd prefer the DVD myself for storage reasons. Seems like plenty of room to put a tour of BW's headquarters. :)

MBushell
11-22-2008, 09:59 AM

Barbara
There's the longevity issue. DVD is a newer format. I suppose it is unlikely that any DVD drives will ever be produced that don't read CD drives, but you never know. And the more disks, the greater the chance of scratching them. There are 5 CDs or 1 DVD. BW9 will probably be available only on DVD, but that's a long ways off.

MBushell
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks Ben. I'll make sure Glenn knows that. We could have used you. But I understand his reasoning.
Mike

tcblack
11-22-2008, 11:11 AM
... BW9 will probably be available only on DVD, but that's a long ways off.
/me begins pleading earnestly in advance to be on the beta-9 team :cool:

Adelphos
11-22-2008, 12:32 PM
There's the longevity issue. DVD is a newer format.

Plus, with the DVD, I can use BW on my television!!!

vr8ce
11-22-2008, 02:25 PM
It wasn't in there but I will add it now to avoid the complaint :)

Hallelujah! While you're in there, I don't suppose you'd consider the long-requested keyboard shortcut for the "Back" and "Forward" buttons?

SCSaunders
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I would like to have an audio track of the sound of pages rapidly turning while any type of BW8 search is running.

tcblack
11-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Plus, with the DVD, I can use BW on my television!!!

Time to upgrade my TV too then. I wonder how BW would look on a 57" plasma?

MBushell
11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Hallelujah! While you're in there, I don't suppose you'd consider the long-requested keyboard shortcut for the "Back" and "Forward" buttons?
Back and forward what? Verse list? Browse Window? Editor?
There is a back and forward time warp button but it is not ready for public release yet. We'll probably release it yesterday.

MWMiles
11-22-2008, 07:36 PM
There is a back and forward time warp button but it is not ready for public release yet. We'll probably release it yesterday.

Advanced physics?

spitzerpl
11-22-2008, 08:04 PM

Sorry, nothing new there. I already saw that in a product next year.

Adelphos
11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry, nothing new there. I already saw that in a product next year.

And it will be foretold twenty-seven hundred years ago -- Isaiah 46:10.

SCSaunders
11-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Sorry, nothing new there. I already saw that in a product next year.Not only that, it already became obsolete, when in a year from now they will be outdated by upward and downward altitude displacement buttons. Star Trek advancements from a primitive era.

spitzerpl
11-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Not only that, it already became obsolete, when in a year from now they will be outdated by upward and downward altitude displacement buttons. Star Trek advancements from a primitive era.
Yes, it is so hard keeping up with the times. Or would that new old displacement button make it down with the times? AAAHHH...And who's on first anyway.....Please BW 8....Ship quickly so I might seek out these answers!!!!!

Dialogos
11-23-2008, 06:46 PM
I think my question got buried in subsequent posts.

Does anyone know if Bibleworks 8 will have an integrated spell check feature for the editor?

Thanks,

Michael Hanel
11-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I think my question got buried in subsequent posts.

Does anyone know if Bibleworks 8 will have an integrated spell check feature for the editor?

Thanks,

No spell-chequers as of yet.

tcblack
11-23-2008, 09:34 PM
too bad on the no spell checker front. I type roughly 80 wpm but I still manage to max out on typos. :rolleyes:

spitzerpl
11-23-2008, 09:48 PM
too bad on the no spell checker front.

I've never tried it myself, but you could always go with a product like AsUType (www.asutype.com). As anyone tried this before with Bibleworks?

tcblack
11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
I've never tried it myself, but you could always go with a product like AsUType (www.asutype.com). As anyone tried this before with Bibleworks?

Never heard of it before but it looks interesting.

spitzerpl
11-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Never heard of it before but it looks interesting.

Out of curiosity I did a quick search and found another one (free) as well called tinyspell (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/tinyspell.html). Keep in mind I am in no way endorsing these and do not know if they work with Bibleworks. I just think they are, as you said, interesting.

tcblack
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't know if there's a way to integrate GNU Aspell (http://aspell.net/) either but I've been pleased with it's integration with other projects.

Dan Phillips
11-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Barbara

The "Out-takes" and "Gag-reel" is worth the price alone.

Bushnell with those moose-antlers doing his Sarah Palin imitation —killer!

tcblack
11-26-2008, 08:56 AM
The "Out-takes" and "Gag-reel" is worth the price alone.

Bushnell with those moose-antlers doing his Sarah Palin imitation —killer!

You Betcha!

vr8ce
12-02-2008, 08:42 AM

I know of only one set of back/forward buttons -- the two next to each other on the same line as the tabs. Hovering over them shows a tooltip that says "Search Window History". And, to clarify, by "shortcut" I mean true shortcut keys, not a command on the command-line. Alt-left/right are still the logical (and unused, AFAICS) choices to me, but any key will do in a storm.

Hugh
12-13-2008, 05:52 PM

Just received the announcement of BW8. Sad to see there is still no Linux version. Doesn't need to be a native port, I'd be happy if it was just well-behaved under WINE. I'll continue using BW7 under VirtualBox and XP while I save up to buy the upgrade. Maybe someone will post how well BW8 runs under WINE?

MWMiles
12-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Just received the announcement of BW8. Sad to see there is still no Linux version. Doesn't need to be a native port, I'd be happy if it was just well-behaved under WINE. I'll continue using BW7 under VirtualBox and XP while I save up to buy the upgrade. Maybe someone will post how well BW8 runs under WINE?

I plan on doing this just as soon as my upgrade arrives. I have a fresh install of Mint 6 that I snagged off a mirror before the official release date that I'm playing with and I want to see how BW8 behaves. I'll let you know. I wish that BibleWorks was minimally ~tested~ on a Linux box under WINE. They don't need to port it, they just need to set up a Linux workstation, install Wine, and install BW. Then ~they~ can see what we have to deal with under Linux and possibly modify the code ever so slightly so it "just works" under Wine. Or they can tell us how they tweaked Wine to get it to work. :)

I know the folks at BW are adequately technically inclined to set up a Linux box and follow through. Anyone that can deal with Visual Studio can easily set up a Linux box. Maybe if we pester them......?

Mike

spitzerpl
12-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Maybe if we pester them......?

All I ask is that you wait until after I get my V. 8 discs to pester too much :-)

MWMiles
12-27-2008, 01:04 AM
All I ask is that you wait until after I get my V. 8 discs to pester too much :-)

Oh, I won't be pestering them at all now. While waiting for BW8 to ship, I went ahead and made up some .vdi machines in VirtualBox - one with Windows 2000 Pro and the other with Vista Business. Now I just run BibleWorks in Windows under Linux. With VirtualBox, I can do things my way. :)

I was doing this before, but I change Linux installs about every other day so I stocked up on harddrives and disk caddies and just swap drives around. I do the same with the laptop.

I'm posting this from a fully patched Win2k install using the latest Firefox. :D It's running under Ubuntu 8.10. I'm going to see if BibleWorks will run under ReactOS next....

Mike

MWMiles
12-27-2008, 01:10 AM
I was wondering-

Will version 8 run on Windows 2000 SP4?

The literature says XP and Vista are the supported operating systems.

Thanks,
Mike

Mark Eddy
12-27-2008, 05:55 PM
None of the beta testers tried BW8 on Windows 2000. It was tried on Windows 98, and it does NOT install on that operating system. All the testing was done on XP and Vista. But maybe after BW8 ships someone who also has Windows 2000 can try it out and let you know the results.
Mark Eddy

Glenn Weaver
12-29-2008, 09:42 AM
We did an install under Win2000, and it did install and run. We did not test it thoroughly, however. The Win2000 was not a fresh install from disk, and Internet Expolorer was updated. It will still be necessary to run at least IE6 sp1, regardless what ships with Win2000.

So, it appears that Win2000 does work, though there may be some glitch of which we are not aware. BW8 is only supported officially on XP and Vista.

MWMiles
12-29-2008, 10:11 AM
None of the beta testers tried BW8 on Windows 2000. It was tried on Windows 98, and it does NOT install on that operating system. All the testing was done on XP and Vista. But maybe after BW8 ships someone who also has Windows 2000 can try it out and let you know the results.
Mark Eddy

Nobody asked ~me~ to beta test!! :)

I still have an unopened package of MS-DOS 6.2 disks here someplace...

MWMiles
12-29-2008, 10:14 AM
We did an install under Win2000, and it did install and run. We did not test it thoroughly, however. The Win2000 was not a fresh install from disk, and Internet Expolorer was updated. It will still be necessary to run at least IE6 sp1, regardless what ships with Win2000.

So, it appears that Win2000 does work, though there may be some glitch of which we are not aware. BW8 is only supported officially on XP and Vista.

I'll give 'er a twirl on Win2k then when it arrives. I thought that maybe your propeller heads that tweak the code were using that new-fangled .Net stuff and I don't think Windows 2000 supports the .Net framework over version 2. I noted that VisualStudio 2008 no longer supports Win2k as an install base and was thinking that the programmers just might be using that (VS2008 - not Win2k) to produce the code for BW.

Thanks for the reply-
Mike