PDA

View Full Version : Searching LXX and Hebrew in Psalms

Mars
11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Hello folks:

I tried to use the Graphical Search Engine (GSE) to search for the Grk Participle for preaching in the LXX in Psalm 40:9 (in LXX(BGT) 39:10) and the Hebrew word in 40:9 that the Greek is used to translate.

The GSE didn't seem to work because the Verse Numbers in the Versions don't agree. I can get the GSE to find 39:10 in the BGT and to find the Hebrew of 40:9 but when I try to use the MERGE box I think that the merge test fails because the verse numbering differs.

I did a similar kind of search in the NT using the ESV and the BGT in parallel and had no problems. Thus, I think the problem is the differeng verse numbering of the BGT in the Psalms.

Does anyone know how to handle this kind of LXX searching to account for cases where the verse numbering between versions differs?

Thanks

MGVH
11-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I don't see see a participle in LXX Ps 39.10, but I'm guessing you mean euaggellizw in the Greek and bsr in the Hebrew.
If I understand your question correctly, you are looking for all the times when euaggelizw occurs as a translation of bsr. If so, the attached query file will do it. The results only mean you have found those two words in the same verse, not that the Greek is being used to translate the other.

A better way, however, is to use Tov, Parallel BHS/LXX.
From the menu: Resources > Parallel BHS-LXX
Click on the little Aleph=Alpha Binocular icon
Enter bsr in the Hebrew Lemma and hit enter (or click binocular)
It returns 21 hits immediately, but you would have to scan through the list to make sure you found all the hits.
(You can run the search on the Greek lemma, but it will take much longer.)

Mars
11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Thanks. You hit the nail on the head. Your solution works great. Thanks for the education on that Parallel feature.

Mark Eddy
11-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Hello folks:

I tried to use the Graphical Search Engine (GSE) to search for the Grk Participle for preaching in the LXX in Psalm 40:9 (in LXX(BGT) 39:10) and the Hebrew word in 40:9 that the Greek is used to translate.
Actually it's verse 10 in both versions. Only the chapter number differs.

The GSE didn't seem to work because the Verse Numbers in the Versions don't agree. I can get the GSE to find 39:10 in the BGT and to find the Hebrew of 40:9 but when I try to use the MERGE box I think that the merge test fails because the verse numbering differs.
The GSE actually works fine. Do an "And" search with WTM as the search version. Have one word box WTM for rfb and make a second word box BGM for euaggelizw. The GSE comes up with one list of verses, in which both words occur, and which are automatically matched (BW knows which verses go together). With WTM as the search version BW will display the list with Hebrew verse numbering. If instead you do the search with BGM as the search version in the "And" box, you will get the entire list with the LXX verse numbering. If in your browse window you have both WTT or WTM and BGT or BGM as display versions, you'll be able to see both the Hebrew and Greek in the same window, together.

I did a similar kind of search in the NT using the ESV and the BGT in parallel and had no problems. Thus, I think the problem is the differeng verse numbering of the BGT in the Psalms.
As I wrote above, the verse numbering is no problem for BW.

Does anyone know how to handle this kind of LXX searching to account for cases where the verse numbering between versions differs?

Thanks

Dr. Mark's suggestions are, of course, also good. And BW automatically compensates for the different verse numbering that way as well.
Mark Eddy