PDA

View Full Version : Is bibleworks worth it?

Yit
06-22-2004, 12:04 AM
Heya. I just was just recently introduced into this whole 'bible study software' thing. And now my friends never see me anymore ;). I primarily use e-sword, but I have heard good things about Bibleworks.

My question: Is Bibleworks worth shellin out the extra money over e-sword?

paul
06-22-2004, 12:24 AM
just my $.02, BW is the finest if you want to compare Bible translations, have the original languages on screen, search the original languages, jump from verse to cross references, look up dictionary references, search for anything. i'm glad to have paid the $, in fact i started w/ BW5 and paid to upgrade to BW6. but if the original languages aren't that important, and you really favor commentaries, then probably BW is not worth the cost.

Joe Fleener
06-22-2004, 06:30 AM
I am sure you realize that you asked this question on a forum dedicated to BibleWorks and used by not just BibleWorks users, but by the more serious users in general.

Therefore, it would be somewhat surprising to hear someone on this forum say anything other that YES :D.

If you have every studied Greek and Hebrew or would like to/plan to, then there is no other option out there that compares. BibleWorks has become the accepted standard in Electronic Original Language Exegetical Tools.

But don't take my word for it, take a look at these reviews:

http://www.christianity.com/partner/Article_Display_Page/0,,PTID23682%7CCHID125043%7CCIID1673362,00.html

http://www.bibleworks.com/downloads/JETS09-2003.pdf

Then get it and try it out. They have an absolutely solid money back guarantee! Try it out, if you don't think if is what you need send it back NO RISK!

MTan
06-22-2004, 08:47 AM
FWIW, there are a number of balanced reviews here:

http://www.bibleworks.com/reviews.htm

kpurcell
07-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Just to offer another perspective. I first was "given" a copy of BW 5 and since I found value in it I decided to ethical and purchased it instead of stealing it. It was worth the 300 bucks. I used E-sword as well. They have similarities, but one has strengths. I think BW is best for modern translations (most are not available in e-sword without doing some work) and original language work. It is also very good and extremely complex search features and personalization. E-sword is good at reading the classic commentaries and if you get involved in the community you can get access to tools to creat your own stuff easily. One of the best ways to get into the e-sword community is through the unofficial e-sword yahoogroup. Go to yahoo groups and search for e-sword and you will find the "unofficial" group. It is the best of the lot.

d-man
07-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Well, I'm about to find out, BW6 is coming in the mail this week. :)

vr8ce
07-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Heya. I just was just recently introduced into this whole 'bible study software' thing. And now my friends never see me anymore ;). I primarily use e-sword, but I have heard good things about Bibleworks.

My question: Is Bibleworks worth shellin out the extra money over e-sword?
Depends. What do you want to do? If you want to have a bunch of commentaries on your computer, then no, BW isn't worth it.

If, however, you want to do any kind of searching on a consistent basis, or work with the original languages (this doesn't just mean read Hebrew/Greek, BTW, it means see what word is translated "wait" in Isaiah 40:31 and what it means in the original language, etc.), or have ready access to many language versions (Spanish/French/etc.) then BW is well worth it (I even bought the BDAG/HALOT add-ons that doubled the price, and then bought the BW6 upgrade that added another 60%+). I evaluated Bible software off and on for three years before I finally bought BW, and I've never regretted it.

Vince

dgwatkinson
07-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Back in 1995 I was so frustrated with people quoting Greek at me that I ask Jesus to help me.

One day a mag came to me called Word Book Store and in it was Biblworks for $400 AU and believe it or not that is all the money I had.

A week later I received it but I had no PC.

Each day a freind would bring in the paper and we would look though the PC section< the prices started at $2500 AU, after 6 months one paper had a PC for $1500, well here I was with no money to buy it.

So what do we all do, go to Jesus, "Jesus why did you place this PC add on my table when you know I have no money" reply " go to your friend Erick" but I have just been there, " go now" so I went.

When I got there Erick was sitting under the veranda and said, "what are you doing back" I said " have just been looking at a PC in the paper and it was so cheap" he said "how much" and I told him, he said he would give a check for that amount plus the cartage price, and I have up graded since.

kpurcell
07-19-2004, 09:31 AM
That's is amazing because I just had a dream that some guy using the nickname dgwatikinson would buy me a new laptop.

I'm only kidding. Ain't God cool!