PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks 8.0?

dbielby
10-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Does anyone know when the next version might be coming out? What features will it have in it? Just curious.

danzell
10-23-2008, 04:08 AM
It would sure be nice to see the Dead Sea Scrolls (DSS) biblical texts and morphological tags added to the fold of BW translations. I'm currently using the LXX since it seems to match the DSS biblical texts according to scholars. However, I do believe the Logos bible software company now offers this library of texts which are so patently important. Yes it would be nice to see this library in BW being that its focus is centered solely around the original languages of the bible.

Soxfan23
10-31-2008, 05:10 PM
I would like to see the NA27 apparatus, the BHS apparatus and both the NIDNTT and NIDOTTE. All four of these things fit in well with the Bibleworks philosophy, and I believe they should all be available. Also, something else I wouldn't mind seeing is a synoptic Greek text comparison using different colors for each book (e.g. blue where matthew and luke agree, green where matthew mark and luke agree, etc). This would be a valuable tool.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Bibleworks 8 is drawing near. Does anybody have any information about this? I think with BW8, they have an opportunity to leave their competition in the dust (Accordance and Logos). BW7 caught them up with Accordance, BW8 can send them flying by. I'm excited (especially if the 4 or 5 things I mentioned above are included, does anyone know if this is possible?).

Michael Hanel
10-31-2008, 05:36 PM
I would like to see the NA27 apparatus, the BHS apparatus and both the NIDNTT and NIDOTTE. All four of these things fit in well with the Bibleworks philosophy, and I believe they should all be available. Also, something else I wouldn't mind seeing is a synoptic Greek text comparison using different colors for each book (e.g. blue where matthew and luke agree, green where matthew mark and luke agree, etc). This would be a valuable tool.

I wouldn't mind any of those additions to the bunch, but I would be surprised to see them. Well specifically the apparatus set of NA27/BHS anyway. We've asked BW about them before and it appears the big stumbling block is not that BW doesn't think that BW should include them (they'd love to have them), but the the copyright holder for those materials (the German Bible Society) has rather restrictive licensing requirements. I know it's not a topic that they like to talk about because there's no good reason to create conflict between BW and German Bible Society, but I think that's the basic story from BibleWorks' perspective anyway. (If you search the forums maybe you can find more posts on that subject).

As far as the Zondervan dictionaries. I don't know what their licensing policies would be like, but the other thing to keep in mind is that so far, BibleWorks company policy has been to try to get the most material under the hood of BibleWorks for a set price. True they do have add-on modules for the essentials, but if you compare them to Logos or Accordance, they have nowhere near the same quantity because they have not yet adopted the module business model. Although I always wish BibleWorks had more in it, I am really really grateful that even if it doesn't have every commentary, it has access to NT/OT original language texts, Josephus, Philo and Apostolic Fathers. In the other programs these additions cost $$, but in BW they're the base package. Unless BibleWorks is changing their business model, I would expect future versions of BibleWorks would be similar: i.e. a new upgrade would offer more things "free" in the base package, but not necessarily that they would be adding bunches of new add-on modules. Of course I could be wrong, but that's just what I've observed of their business model so far. Regardless, I, like you, would love to see those things you mentioned included in the future.

Soxfan23
11-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Michael,

Thanks for replying. I've had BW for a couple of years but have only recently started using it heavily, so to hear the insights from an experienced BW user is beneficial for me. Regarding the NA27 and BHS apparatus, I figured that Bibleworks would love to have them, so I was just kind of puzzled that they're not included (given they're available for Accordance and Logos). Text criticism is an essential part of the exegetical process, so it just kind of struck me as odd. Hopefully they can get something worked out with GBS in the future where they're able to include them.

I completely agree with the BW philosophy (as far as trying to include most things 'under the hood' in the base package). This is what I think, in part, sets BW apart from their competition (I wouldn't even know where to start with Logos or Accordance, it's entirely too confusing). However, I think that just because they're not able to get a few things 'under the hood' doesn't mean that the consumer should have to suffer and buy an additional program to get these things electronically. Hence, even if they're not able to get the NA27 or BHS apparatus, or the NIDOTTE and NIDNTT (I know there's no way they could include these things with the base package) under the hood, I think they should at least strive to get something worked out where they could include them as "add-on modules" (like BDAG, HALOT, LSJ, etc). Reason being, since BW is primarily an "exegesis" tool and not an electronic library, they should make as many exegesis tools available for add-on modules to the consumer as possible even though they can't include them. I personally don't care about commentaries being included (as I don't think they should be, and they're best in hard copy), but things like grammars, lexicons, dictionaries, and wordbooks should all be available somehow, don't you agree?

I guess that's about my only complaint with BW and where I think Accordance has an edge on them (only in this area). I'm not speaking of commentaries or books, but exegetical tools. I noticed where the IVP essential reference collection can be incorporated in to Accordance, and I think something like this would be extremely valuable for BW as well (as well as something like ABD, ISBE, NIDNTT, NIDOTTE, etc). I have found that one of the most valuable tools of BW is the "resrouce summary" tab where all the words and verses are tabbed to the reference tools, thus preventing page turning and saving much time. To have this for the works I mentioned would be absolutely phenomenal.

On another note, any chance they could ever get Holmes' AF translations sometime in the future? I find Lightfoot's a bit hard to read at times

xara777
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
I noticed this will be one of the presentations at SBL according to the SBL Session Guide for Monday, November 24. According to the following PDF, Kent Clarke is the Academic Project Leader for this project:

http://www.twu.ca/glc/program/summer/2008/options/israel.pdf

Anyone familiar with this?

Mike