PDA

View Full Version : Moving BW7 to a new computer

Mark R. Ensign
10-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm having some issues as I migrate from an old Win2K to an new Win XP computer - not with OS but with BibleWorks Version 7.

I installed BW 7 from the CD's. I updated from the web to 7.019j. Now BW Maps won't work. I seem to have a folder called something like "_ptchtmp" with BWMaps.exe from 06/23/08. Maybe it did not update fully? But I can't get it to update maps again. What to do? How to make maps work in BW7?

BW will access the Net Bible photo maps at low resolution. But I have the high resolution maps in a folder HIRES and I want to use them. New BW7 installation does not find them. How do I access these HIRES jpegs from the new BW? They were accessed from the old BW installation.

Also, there are several files named 7.0.019j-bw700lg.exe (4,016 KB) and others with similar extensions - even 7.0.019j-7.0.019j-bw700lg.exe. What are these? Can they be removed?

TIA for your help.

Mark R. Ensign
Amarillo, TX

Mark R. Ensign
10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
After several hours, the maps problems have been fixed as follows.

BW maps - I reinstalled BW 7 completely. Then I updated files from the Web in several stages checking each time to be sure that the maps were working. Finally I updated the maps themselves from the web. Problem solved.

NET Bible high-resolution maps - If I copied these HIRES map JPG files to the BW \database folder and renamed the files by adding _1024 (eg map1_1024.jpg), I was able to open them with BibleWorks. This allowed me to zoom the magnification with the right-click mouse button. However, whenever the magnification has been changed, the image display reverts to the upper left-hand corner and all navigation is by a left click and drag motion with the mouse. At high magnification, this can be a real problem when trying to locate the section of the map I wanted to see at higher magnification.

The Microsoft Photo Editor opens these jpg files very nicely. It also allows for even more magnification. Navigation can be quite precise by using the elevator buttons at the bottom and the right hand side of the frame. So for these high-resolution maps I'm going to stick with it.

I hope this research will be helpful to someone else in the future.

Mark R. Ensign
Amarillo, Texas

Howard Flynn
10-16-2008, 12:33 PM
What are net high resolution photos or maps? What is HIRES

Mark R. Ensign
10-17-2008, 08:19 AM
NET Bible (netbible.com) some years ago offered about 20 high resolution maps based on satellite photos. The NET Bible maps included with BW7 are low resolution versions of these maps. HIRES is an abbreviation for High Resolution.