PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew Font Size & Line Spacing

Joshua Luna
10-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I am curious how others overcome formatting issues with the Bibleworks Hebrew font.

My problem is that the Bibleworks Hebrew font is quite small at size 10 or 12. At these sizes the font is nearly unreadable printed and is unreadable on screen. As 10-12 font size it also looks quite odd, as the letters only reach up about half way up the tallest English letters that are at that font size.

Size 16 and 18 "match" the size of the English fonts (e.g. Arial 10 and 12) much better but you run into other issues when doing this. The most notable is that it tends to mess up line spacing; this is especially noticeable when you have double spaced a text and the lines with Hebrew are spaced even wider. The Hebrew characters still appear to sit "low" as well.

The best formatting I have been able to come up with (in Word) is to:

1) Set the Bibleworks Hebrew font to size 16 (when using size 12 Arial).
2) Open the Font menu (highlight text, right click, select Font) and select the Character Spacing tab.
3) Change Position to Raised by 2 pts.

(Tip: If you highlight some text that is formatted by the BW Hebrew font when you right click one of the options, at least in Word 2003, is to select all similarly formatted text. By doing this you can edit all your Hebrew text in the document at one time.)

While this trick isn't perfect (the Hebrew text is slightly elevated off the baseline) the text is readable when printed, distinguishable on screen, and the spacing between lines isn't perfect it is close. Using size 18 Bwhebb font and size 12 Arial raising the Hebrew Font by 1 appears to work best. When working with size 10 Arial size 14 Bwhebb seems to work best (raised 1). 10 is typically what I use and anything above Bwhebb 14 seems too big and starts stretching the line spacing.

Anyhow, I am curious how others have worked around some of these minor presentation issues. :)

kitwalker
10-05-2008, 05:30 PM
(Tip: If you highlight some text that is formatted by the BW Hebrew font when you right click one of the options, at least in Word 2003, is to select all similarly formatted text. By doing this you can edit all your Hebrew text in the document at one time.)
:)

Great tip! Thanks a lot for sharing it.

David Kummerow
10-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Anyhow, I am curious how others have worked around some of these minor presentation issues. :)
Here's two things I do:

1. I avoid the BW font like the plague outside of BW itself in preference for either SBL Hebrew of Ezra SIL. This overcomes much of the size problems, as well as wrapping issues etc. Further, Hebrew is then recognised as Hebrew language in Word, so spell-checking isn't highlighting every word.

2. Set a fixed line spacing, but the size of this depends a little on which main font you're using.

Regards,
David.

ingosorke
10-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Ok, so I'm trying to switch to Unicode, but when I use Ezra SIL or SBL Hebrew I have the following problems:

1) forced right-align. Usually that's great for Hebrew, but not in footnotes, and not if I want to have the Hebrew word to the left and then write a comment to the right of it
2) no Hebrew font when I use Ezra or SBL with Unicode Export checked.

Bwhebb is so easy to use and manipulate, but I recognize its proprietary limitations.

Ingo

Adelphos
10-12-2008, 03:29 PM
...1) forced right-align. Usually that's great for Hebrew, but not in footnotes, and not if I want to have the Hebrew word to the left and then right a comment to the right of it...

After having used Davka for some years, I can't even BEGIN to imagine trying to use MSWord for typing Hebrew, much less typing Hebrew and English together.

I know MSWord can be manipulated to ultimately get the formatting you want, but the effort required to do so is tremendous in many cases.

With Davka, you simply type a few words of English, then hit Alt+/, type a few words of Hebrew, then hit Alt+/ again, type some more English, and Voila!

Everything works out exactly like you wanted it, without even the slightest burp, placing the English text first, then the Hebrew in right-to-left order after the English you just typed, then putting the next English sentence behind the Hebrew back in left-to-right order as you intended, and all done automatically.

Moreover, Davka handles Unicode without problem, and it imports/exports MSWord docs (via RTF) without a hitch.

If you're going to do a lot of Hebrew, or Hebrew/English typing, I'd look at other products besides MSWord, and in that vein I recommend that you take a hard look at Davka --

http://www.davkawriter.com/

ingosorke
10-12-2008, 09:44 PM
!uoy knahT

David Kummerow
10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
1) forced right-align. Usually that's great for Hebrew, but not in footnotes, and not if I want to have the Hebrew word to the left and then right a comment to the right of it
I don't like that either, and I've raised it before here on the forums. Unfortunately, no one else at the time thought it was really an issue.

One way around it is to pre-paste the text into the BW editor or a bank Word document or whatever and then copy-and-paste into your document. Alignment is then the other way.

2) no Hebrew font when I use Ezra or SBL with Unicode Export checked.
No such issues for me. What font is then used if not Ezra SIL or SBLHebrew?

Regards,
David.