PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Bible Works 7 on an Asus Eee PC 1000

Warlord
09-13-2008, 02:29 AM
I don't know how many of you out there even know what an Eee PC is. It is basically a class of sub-notebook called a netbook. It has a brand new processor by Intell called "Atom." It is a great little computer and I take it everywhere. However, I discovered one fatal flaw: I cannot run Bible Works 7 on it.

I get a "severe error has occured" and get several options including reinitializing or repairing Bible Works, restarting the program, and letting the OS handle the error. Nothing I do allows me to actually get into the program.

The computer exceeds all of the minimum specs. I've already made an inquiry with support about the issue, and they freely admit that the hardware I am running is new to them and that they have not had the opportunity to test it on that platform.

I have an 8gb SSD and a 32gb SSD (Solid State Disk) installed, 1 gb of RAM with NO swap/page file, the Intell Atom N270 Mobile processor running at full stock 1.6 ghz, and WinXP SP3 with all updates.

I am wondering if anyone else out there has attempted to install Bible Works, any version, onto the Eee PC 1000 specifically, or onto any other ultra-mobile PC/netbook generally.

Thanks!

admin
09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
We'll be testing Atom-based hardware soon and will let you know what we discover! It should be compatible, but we may have to post a patch.

Thanks.
Michael

techiemom
09-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a new Acer Aspire One mini notebook (8.9") with Atom processor, 1.6 ghz, 8gig SSD drive and Linpus Linux light OS. I was desperate to find a Bible program that would run on it, but with no success. I finally, after three weeks, took it back to the shop where I bought it to see if they could help. I also had my other computer in the shop and he noticed I had Bible Works 7 on that and suggested we install it on the Aspire One. I though, no way, it is much too big and would it run on Linux? Well, he installed 'Wine' on it and then installed Bible Works with an external DVD drive and it works perfectly! I am so thrilled; now I can have Bible Works with me wherever I go. It fits in my purse. Hope this might help someone. Atom did not seem to be a problem in this case. There wasn't room for the maps, videos or sound files, or the additional modules I have, but all the basics are there and that is enough.
Jo Ann

dvdchoi
10-18-2008, 10:05 AM
I have an MSI Wind with the Atom and can confirm that BW7 works great. The issue must be something else? Perhaps drive permissions, etc..

Nate62
10-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Warlord,

I encountered the same problem on my Acer Aspire One netbook and became very frustrated. I even called Bibleworks support to no avail.

My problem was that I installed Windows using a program called nLite, which strips down Windows XP to be more suitable for a netbook. I removed language/keyboard support for everything except English.

Upon reinstalling Windows XP with Greek/Hebrew language and keyboard supports, Bibleworks worked like a charm. However, I do not know if there is an easier way to install the needed language/keyboard support without completely reinstalling Windows - something to check into.

If you installed Windows onto your Eee Pc via a similar method, you probably are encountering the same problem.

-Nate

boeinguy2
10-20-2008, 02:07 AM
I have installed BW7 on an Acer Aspire One. It works great except for the fact that it locks up when trying to download updates. Any ideas on this one?:confused:

Adelphos
02-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I have installed BW7 on an Acer Aspire One. It works great except for the fact that it locks up when trying to download updates. Any ideas on this one?:confused:

FWIW, I just purchased an Acer Aspire One. I copied the BW7 CD's to a flash drive, then installed BW7 from the flash drives onto my Acer. I then piggybacked from one of my neighbor's wireless networks (I don't know which neighbor, because they all have routers except for me) and then I installed all the updates, again on my Acer. Everything worked without a hitch. In fact, BW runs as fast on my Acer as it does on my desktop, yet my desktop has more horsepower. Go figure.

The ATOM notebooks are sensational, IMO. I have also installed e-Sword on my Acer and again, it works flawlessly. In fact, everything I've installed on it works flawlessly.

The only thing I haven't tried is hooking up an external DVD drive because thus far I've simply transferred everything over to a flash drive and installed that way. Not a single hitch to this point.

Adelphos
02-22-2009, 02:37 PM
I might also add, if you have the Acer, you should make sure you have all the Windows updates installed. Make sure you're running XP SP3 with all the recent updates. This SHOULD clear up any glitches you may have experienced, as there were problems with SP2 and the later security "enhancements" which could cause some of your actions to freeze.

Ken Neighoff
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM
My wife has the Acer Aspire netbook and I have had no problem putting resources on it for her, using an external DVD drive.

boeinguy2
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
So I have an Acer Aspire one. It had all the updates and XP Service pack 3. I continue to have two problems that I cannto resolve:

1) I cannot get updates to work
2) The screen does not refresh correctly. If I do anything scroll bars and menus will not refresh until I select a menu, then everything refreshes.

Adelphos
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
So I have an Acer Aspire one. It had all the updates and XP Service pack 3. I continue to have two problems that I cannto resolve:

1) I cannot get updates to work
2) The screen does not refresh correctly. If I do anything scroll bars and menus will not refresh until I select a menu, then everything refreshes.

Here's a strong possibility. I don't know where you got your Acer, but I got mine at a local computer store, one that's been in business for a very long time. They have the most competitive prices of anyone, including the internet.

However, they also sell repackaged hardware. The first Acer I took home, even though it was represented as being brand new, had similar problems to yours (although I had not tried to update BW on that one), including screen and mouse/touchpad idiosyncrasies.

I took it back the next day and made them give me a new one -- a BRAND NEW ONE. IOW, I made sure it was NOT a repackaged one.

That solved ALL the problems.

I don't know exactly what your situation is, but it sounds like it could very well be a hardware issue to me.

folofjc
03-16-2009, 02:17 AM
Warlord,

I encountered the same problem on my Acer Aspire One netbook and became very frustrated. I even called Bibleworks support to no avail.

My problem was that I installed Windows using a program called nLite, which strips down Windows XP to be more suitable for a netbook. I removed language/keyboard support for everything except English.

Upon reinstalling Windows XP with Greek/Hebrew language and keyboard supports, Bibleworks worked like a charm. However, I do not know if there is an easier way to install the needed language/keyboard support without completely reinstalling Windows - something to check into.

If you installed Windows onto your Eee Pc via a similar method, you probably are encountering the same problem.

-Nate

Nate,

I was having the same problem on my Asus Eee 1000. I nLite'd my version of Windows, however I had thought ahead (or tried to) and included the Greek and Hebrew language support. I did not include the keyboard support. I just reinstalled windows with both keyboard and language support for Greek and Hebrew, however I am still getting the same error. Do I need to include all language and keyboard supports? I did not install any other Bible versions except English. I cannot think of any other nLite options that would cause this.

Thanks
paul

folofjc
03-17-2009, 02:18 AM
Okay. I got it to work on my Asus Eee 1000 with a full install of XP. But the full install is very large. Does anyone know what specific requirements Bibleworks has with Windows? I am apparently nLite-ing something out. Does Bibleworks need the help files, or all the language and keyboard support? I tried with English, Greek, and Hebrew and it still crashed.

folofjc
03-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Warlord,

-Nate

Nate,

I was having the same problem on my Asus Eee 1000. I nLite'd my version of Windows, however I had thought ahead (or tried to) and included the Greek and Hebrew language support. I did not include the keyboard support. I just reinstalled windows with both keyboard and language support for Greek and Hebrew, however I am still getting the same error. Do I need to include all language and keyboard supports? I did not install any other Bible versions except English. I cannot think of any other nLite options that would cause this.

Thanks
paul

Nate et al,

I had to install Windows will all the language and keyboard supports to get Bibleworks 7 to work. Just including English, Hebrew, and Greek was not engouh (even though those were the only Bible languages I was including in my Bibleworks install).

Adelphos
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
My Acer Aspire One has a 120G hard drive, and I think most of the netbooks have relatively large drives (I've seen a few with only 60G drives), so why do you want a stripped down version of XP when the standard version really doesn't take up that much space? Is there an advantage besides space?