PDA

View Full Version : Using GSE to search for phrases

andywitt
09-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi guys,

I've been having a hard time getting my head around the GSE. The light bulb just hasn't clicked on yet.

I'm using the OT and wanted to do a Hebrew search on phrases. Using the command line I can only search for phrases that have the same exact vowel pointing (at least I think that is all I can do!), but I wanted to search for the occurrence of words next to each other that may not always be pointed in the same way (a lot of Even-Shoshan). I figured that the GSE could do this, but have no idea how to do it. Could anyone help me out here, especially with an example? Also, if this kind of search is possible in the command line, instructions on that kind of search would be helpful too.

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Ben Spackman
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I've done a good bit of GSE Hebrew usage, and I don't understand what exactly it is you're looking for. Can you give me an example?

Mark Eddy
09-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Using the command line I can only search for phrases that have the same exact vowel pointing (at least I think that is all I can do!),
No, you can uncheck the "General Hebrew Option" called "Search on Hebrew versions is vowel point sensitive" and do a search in WTT for what you want. Just type in ' on the command line followed by the consonantal spelling you want.

but I wanted to search for the occurrence of words next to each other that may not always be pointed in the same way (a lot of Even-Shoshan). I figured that the GSE could do this, but have no idea how to do it. Could anyone help me out here, especially with an example? Also, if this kind of search is possible in the command line, instructions on that kind of search would be helpful too.
Andy
You can also do a search in WTM on the command line for two or more lemmas (roots) in a specific order. Again begin by typing ' followed by the lemmas you want in the order in which you want them to appear.
If you are not sure of the order, but just want certain lemmas in the same verse, just begin your search with a period . then type the words (WTT) or lemmas (WTM).
Is this what you're looking to do?
If not, just place your cursor over the command line in BW and hit the "f1" key, and you'll see BW's online Help for the command line. Or open the GSE, put the cursor over it, and hit the "f1" key, and you'll see BW's online Help for GSE. That should give you some more ideas.
Mark Eddy

andywitt
09-27-2008, 11:13 AM
that's exactly what i needed. i knew it was pretty simple. thanks again.
~andy