PDA

View Full Version : Compiling Hebrew version



David Kummerow
09-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi,

I'm attemping to compile a Hebrew text version with the version database compiler, but am encountering the issue where the compiled version is not searchable when vowelpoint-sensitive searching is enabled.

For example:

1. Export WTT as CCAT to test.txt
2. Create test.ddf:

bwversion 7.0.019j
compilerversion 2
rawdatafile c:\program files\bibleworks 7\userdb\test.txt
name test
font Default
fontsize 12
language Hebrew
languagegroup Hebrew
hasstrongs no
hassuperscripts no
hasitalics no
readonly no
transliterated no
hasxrefs no
hassmallcaps no
usenaslexicon no
sourceformat ccat
sourceid 0
keyboard Hebrew
fonttype Hebrew
dashoption 1
apostropheoption 0
codingscheme None
wraptype HebrewText
content OTOnly
hasnotes no
hasendnotes no
versionid TES
companion WTM
locale
version 5000
BeginGlobals

EndGlobals3. Compile test.txt.

Enable vowelpoint-sensitive searching and then, say, double-click the first word of Gen 1:1. BW responds that the word cannot be found.

Can anyone else reproduce the issue? If so, I'll submit the issue to BW support.

Thanks,
David.

David Kummerow
09-07-2008, 10:44 PM
I see that vowel-sensitive searching utilised the wttv.dbx database under \databases\. What is this file and how does one create it?

Michael Hanel
09-08-2008, 09:19 AM
I see that vowel-sensitive searching utilised the wttv.dbx database under \databases\. What is this file and how does one create it?

I would ask support to make it official, but I do believe the Version Database Compiler doesn't compile versions that will do this. In the same vein, it also will not allow accent sensitive searching in compiled Greek databases. The short answer is that when the VDC was put in BW it wasn't conceived of as being as flexible of a tool as we've made it into. The actual versions of the real BW are run through a bit more complicated compilation program.

Glenn Weaver
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi David (and Michael),

Michael is correct, that the Version Database Compiler is not the final step for creating usable vowel point and accent-sensitive searchable versions, either Hebrew or Greek (and others, too). Unfortunately we did not include that information in the Online Help. I am sorry for the disappointment.

The Version Database Compiler is very powerful, though. I use it to compile final versions of most versions, though there have been a few that needed tweaking in the main program in order for them to work.

Perhaps this limitation to the VDC will be relaxed in the future. In the meantime, David, perhaps you could convert your database to a transliterated Hebrew database instead, like the BHT database. In this way the text would always be vowel point and accent-sensitive searchable. The documentation for the translation is included in the Online Help file. Since the version shows up as English, there is no option (or limitation) on vowel point sensitive searching.

Hope this helps.

David Kummerow
09-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Michael and Glenn,

Thanks indeed for your replies, although they weren't what I was expecting. My assumption was that the BW database compiler would have been able to compile versions of kind with those which come by default and that my glitch was some user error.

Unfortunately, it seems I've wasted a bit of time on this. As you may know, the WTT and WTM are now a couple of versions behind the offical releases from Westminster. Earlier this year I woke up to this fact, which impinges on research since we no longer have access to the latest databases. At that time I was informed that BW could do nothing about this because of the strict licensing conditions. Therefore I approached Westminster and after a bit of initial difficulty was granted an individual license for research purposes. I then wrote a couple of programs which convert the databases supplied from Westminster into the form of CCAT that will compile in BW. But the trouble now is that vowel-sensitive searching cannot be utilised.

I've reread the license agreement I signed and I do not think I am allowed to submit the newly generated databases to BW for them to generate a new wttv.dbx (and maybe also wtthi.dbx?) for me, if indeed they were even willing to do this on an individual basis. That would mean that the current v.4.4 in BW would be overwritten with the current 4.10, but that's fine by me. But given the licensing, this would not seem possible.

Another option would be release the software that generates the wttv.dbx file or provide details on how this file is created so that end-users if they have access to the latest databases may generate newer versions themselves.

Of course, another option would be to somehow use the current code that creates accent-sensitive and vowel-sensitive searches and add this into the version database compiler. This is probably the preferrable option and would be a great thing for the program. It seems to me that Greek doesn't suffer as much without this as Hebrew, since only accents, and not vowels, are affected.

I guess I'm just thinking out load as I type this wondering what to do.

Thanks again for your quick responses.

Regards,
David.

arggem
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
David,

I would suggest that you send an email to the folks at BW. They might open to your requests, but they might not want to make a public policy visible in the forums.

David Kummerow
09-08-2008, 07:17 PM
OK, good idea.

Thanks,
David.

Glenn Weaver
09-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi David,

I'm afraid that the problem is not simply generating the couple of extra files for the database. The main BW program also needs to have internal changes made to accomodate the new database. In other words, it isn't just the database that needs to change, but also the program in order to enable searching on the new database.

Sorry for the difficulties.

David Kummerow
09-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply. I completely understand.

Thanks,
David.