PDA

View Full Version : Wildcard in Hebrew

Yaku Lee
09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Help! Can a wildcard (* or ?) be used in Hebrew vowel point sensitive search on the command line? How can it be entered? Or is the wildcard not allowed to be used in this case?

David Kummerow
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
The 'Insert' key acts as an escape character in this instance. Press it before entering * or ? and then press it again after the character(s) have been entered.

Regards,
David.

Yaku Lee
09-01-2008, 10:51 PM
The 'Insert' key acts as an escape character in this instance. Press it before entering * or ? and then press it again after the character(s) have been entered.

Regards,
David.

The “insert” key works great.

By trial and error I found out that a “?” can stand for a consonant, and you can add a vowel point to it. But I can’t quite figure out what exactly the wildcard “?” stands for in a vowel sensitive search. It sometimes behaves as though it can also stand for a cholem.

Another thing, how do you indicate “any vowel,” e.g., “y with any vowel” in the search? Do you simply enter a consonant and say nothing about the vowel? It seems to work that way, but I am not comfortable with the search result.

Thank you very much again.

David Kummerow
09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
For vowel-sensitive searching, also try using the sequence: insert, then 1, then insert. But I can't find this in the manual to point you to. I'm not entirely sure what the difference between '?' and 'µ' is, though. Hopefully some will be able to clarify.

Regards,
David.

Philip Brown
09-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi, David,

The difference between '?' and the Hebrew wildcard is that you can define the contents of the Hebrew wildcard, whereas you cannot define the contents of '?'.

Further, you cannot add vowel points to '?' whereas you can to the wildcard.

To define the contents of the Hebrew wildcard(s), Tools > Options > Wildcards.

David Kummerow
09-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi Philip,

Thanks indeed for that! What do you know, I've never really taken notice of that feature too much, and it seems very helpful when it is needed. I guess most of my searches tend to be consonantal or use morphological tags more than anything.

Thanks,
David.